Audio off issue

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by R P, Feb 18, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Yesterday, backed my car out of the car and onto the street. When in Drive to go, I noticed that my radio was off. Everything else looked normal. I tried pushing a few buttons, incl off an on on the vol button. But the audio would not come back on. I could turn the vol up and down, and it showed on the screen, but no sound. I then stopped and shut off the car for a minute. When I turned it on, problem persisted, so I continued on to my destination, parked, and shut down.

When I returned to my car, turned it on, everything was back to normal, sound worked. Back at home, I asked my wife if she ever experienced that. And she said the same thing happened to her about a month ago (although she forgot to tell me then).

Has anyone else experienced this? Any idea as to the cause? Do I need to take it to a dealer to get checked out. My 3 year warranty expires in a few months.

Wildeyed likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Don't you have a 5 year (100,000km) warranty? In Canada it's standard, I believe.

4. I thought the media HU was under the 3 year warranty portion. Hope I am wrong.

5. Actually you appear to be correct. Under the more detailed description, under the exclusions section, audio and navigation components are covered for 3 years. :(

6. Ginginova

Ginginova Active Member

Check if there are any software updates for your infotainment/navigation available. Bugs are everywhere and issue might not be a hardware related problem.

Wildeyed likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Did you inadvertently mute the audio by pressing the steering wheel volume button? I have sometimes muted by mistake when turning the audio up or down and I don't recall it being evident on the display that mute was on.

9. No, that was my first thought, but tried everything, and it wouldn't come back on.
    No, have not updated for a while. I intend to do that before my 3 years are up. Maybe should get that done soon.

10. Yes!

I had this problem last spring. I left for work, no radio sounds. FM, AM, Satellite, MP3, all didnt work. I stopped at a gas station after a few kms, and recorded a video on my phone so I could prove it to Hyundai. I then tried voice recognition... no audio heard, although i could give commands, and the car worked. I tried restarting the vehicle to no avail. I then drove to work. On the drive, I found even the lane departure beeps didnt work. No audio at all.

I got to work and when I left that afternoon, everything worked properly. Darndest thing. If it wasnt for my video, I would have thought I dreamed it. I never had the problem since, so I never bothered to tell the dealer. Like, how would they do anything if it isnt happening when a tech checks it?

R P likes this.
  11. Yes, exactly like mine. I tried all those things, too, and everything worked except the audio. Then going inside, coming back 1/2 later, and everything was normal again. Same thing happened to my wife, though, about a month ago.

DaveO likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Just had it happen again today. Audio went off. After half hour at a destination and ready to go home, it came on as normal. This is twice now in less than a week.

14. $42 grand is sounding pretty good about now, lol
    If your safety sensors are being affected then it is something Transport Canada should be made aware of and could become a safety recall.

15. You know, if I could find another better EV to buy right now, I would take it. I have 3 pre-orders in for the Ioniq 5 Ultimate, and 1 pre-order in for the Solterra. But neither of them will be available anytime soon. At this time, my wife still insists we need 2 cars.

16. OK, I gotta ask why 3 pre orders for ioniq 5? Different trims?

electriceddy likes this.
  17. Nope, all same trim. Just don't know which dealer will be fastest to get the orders in when they open up again, and how the cars will be allocated to each dealer. So will just go with the one who can deliver it to me first.

I suspect the Solterra may arrive first (this fall). I would prefer that, and allow me to sell/trade the Kona sooner, before it loses much of its current value. Then when the Ioniq 5 arrives next year, I can sell my Crosstrek. It, too, is currently at the same value (I got a great dealer offer for it, too) I paid for it 4 years ago, because you can't get a new one (still same platform etc) until into 2023 as well. And Subaru's tend to hold their value longer than most other cars.

That would make us a 2 EV car household. The Solterra would be good for off-road to our cabin, while the Ioniq 5 would be a good trip car, with its higher range and faster charging. So that is my thinking at this time.

In a way, I don't mind going for a longer time with both my Kona and Crosstrek. The Subaru is not only good for off-road, but also a good trip car, with lots of interior room and great gas mileage. And the Kona would remain as our primary drive for around town and short trips, saving money with using electricity.

18. MurrayNZ

MurrayNZ New Member

Yes I had the same thing happen, it is a bug a few people are reporting. After trying every audio setting in the menus the way I solved it was to unplug the AMP fuse and reinsert it. This I found on the internet. Now everything is normal.

Wildeyed likes this.
  19. Well, it happened again this morning.
    Started the car, noted 82% charge even though I set the limit at 80%, not sure why, or if this is even a factor.
    Headed out, noted silence....No radio sounds. FM, AM, Satellite, MP3, all didnt work. I stopped at my favorite gas station after a few kms, and recorded a new video on my phone so I could prove it again. Voice recognition worked so I could give commands, but the car responded silently. I tried restarting the vehicle to no avail. I then drove to work. On the drive, I found even the lane departure beeps didnt work. No audio at all. I got to work and when I left that afternoon, everything worked properly. I didnt try pulling the Amp fuse.