Considering 2018 Clarity Base w/ 2k miles

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by squidge, Jan 29, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. squidge

squidge New Member

Hmm, not a convertible, but the Mini Cooper SE is pretty cool as a fun runabout. Mazda has confirmed some amount of electrification in the next-gen Miata but no real details and I highly doubt they'd go full EV with it yet. Probably just a mild hybrid to keep weight low.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Mass Clarity owner

Mass Clarity owner New Member

Looks like you did your homework and made some well informed decisions. Thanks for sharing the details of your story and the pictures! (I, too, have a white base model, 2018).
    We bought ours used, taking a bit of a flyer on it, since we did not know nearly as much as you did about the Clarity. We love it. And find this forum useful for sharing car behavioral info.
    One surprise: we expected that in buying a 2018 PHEV that the pace of automobile technological innovation would mean that by now we would see many cars with performance (and price) that would make our 2018 Clarity seem obsolete, or not that competitive. Wrong. The car is almost 4 years old and there isn't anything comparable on the market that has this price/performance combination. Yours will be a lucky son to inherit this unique car.

insightman, Johngalt6146 and squidge like this.
  4. squidge

squidge New Member

You mention there isn't anything comparable with this price/performance combo -- but really there just isn't anything comparable at any price. Case in point, we looked at several Volvo PHEVs, notably the V60 Polestar with the new MY22.5 extended range powertrain. Even that car, at $67k, drives with less horsepower and torque in full EV mode and has nearly half the range, vs. the Clarity. Only in hybrid mode does the Volvo start to shine -- and it's fully double the price. And to be perfectly honest, people gripe about the infotainment in the Clarity, but so far it's much less annoying than the Sensus system + CarPlay was in my 2020 Volvo. Go figure.

I hope that in 3-5 years PHEVs with a range similar to or better than the Clarity are more common. Or that EV charging infrastructure is good enough to go BEV with no worries.

And yeah, this car might still be too nice for my son by the time he makes it from 12 to 16. :)

Teslawannabe and Johngalt6146 like this.
  5. Johngalt6146

Johngalt6146 Active Member

I know it's a nitch market. Musk's new roadster is too pricey, and though very tempted, I did not want to buy an old one - even if it had new batteries. I did consider a California cut-down Model 3 but decided I will wait.

6. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

squidge- So no issues with price paid. I really like my Clarity, and have since day 1. I am curious if you qualify for any rebates on the vehicle (federal or state)? If so, that's an even better deal.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Too bad VW canceled their ID.Buggy, but they keep mumbling about an electric drop-top ID.3. Unfortunately, VW refuses to send the ID.3 to the US.

upload_2022-2-11_1-18-50.png

9. Johngalt6146

Johngalt6146 Active Member

Wow - Interesting car! Would fit well in California, Florida and beachy places.