Small lights in overhead consoles....

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by NHPilot, Jan 22, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. NHPilot

NHPilot New Member

I cannot find information on these lights anywhere. There are two tiny lights in the front overhead console and a single one in the rear overhead console that remain on all the time. Is there anyway to turn these lights off. I have had this car for almost a year now and just noticed them tonight LOL!

Thanks!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

There is one small light over the center console that lights up the console. I've never paid attention to see that it might be on during the day but it's on all the time at night. Don't know about the rear light.

4. JCA

JCA Active Member

I don't believe there's a way to turn off this ambient lighting. I like it -- it's subtle and pleasant giving just the right amount of illumination of the console, and there's another one in the space under the shifter. It's not distracting, and I didn't even realize it was there at first, just that I could see where my hand was reaching.

Much better than the Chevy Bolt I test drove with a bright blue stripe across the dash that looks snazzy, but I found it too distracting and "in your face".

JFon101231 likes this.
  5. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

Owner's manual:

Attached Files:

6. Frankwell

Frankwell Active Member

That's talking about the interior lights. This is about the ambient lights which the owner's manual says nothing about. Other than they appear in the list of lightbulbs in the specifications part of the manual.

There are two ambient lights in the front overhead console, on either side of the door light switch. And one ambient light between the two door light switches in the rear overhead console. I drew arrows to these in the picture below. There is another ambient light underneath the shifter illuminating the storage tray, and one in each of the footwells.

The ambient lights come on anytime the headlights or parking lights are on, along with the lights that illuminate all of the various buttons in the shifter console, dashboard, steering wheel and doors, as well as the glovebox light.

The ambient lights are quite faint, although they are adjustable along with the other button lights using the dashboard brightness control (on either side of the trip meter button). The easiest way to see them is by turning on the parking lights in a darkened garage without turning on the car. As a side note when you do this it's surprising how many buttons there are in the car.

Ambient lights.png

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

I think those are just so you can actually see where the buttons are in the dark if you need them. Combined they may draw a tenth of a watt.

9. NHPilot

NHPilot New Member

Yep those are the ones I was talking about. I'm not worried about any draw they might have on the battery or anything, just ticked off at myself that I hadn't noticed 'em for almost a year! Thought they may have been turned off, but I guess I am just that unobservant! Thanks to you and the others for answering my question so quickly!

10. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

If it makes you feel any better, I had passengers in the back seat that asked me about them about 2 years after I bought the car. My reply was something like "Hmmm... I've never noticed that."

11. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

Well, I know about the ones in the front overhead console and under the center console, but never knew there was one in the rear overhead console!

12. To remove this ad click here.