Shopping for an Ioniq 5 for the wife

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by FloridaSun, Jan 1, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I'm very satisfied with my 2021 Model Y LR AWD. However, the wife's BMW i3 just came off warranty and we are looking into potential replacements. The IONIQ 5 seems like a great value. Luckily, the Ioniq 5 will be sold in Florida. My local dealer doesn't have an allocation, so I called several dealers across the state. $2k to $3k markup at most delaers (or $2k in dealer installed options like paint protection treatment). Finally found a dealer who would sell it at MSRP about an hour from me. If it was up to me, I would commit to buying the SEL version in Lucid Blue right now but wife wants to first test drive one.. They will only get one in stock mid to late January.. so I guess I will have to wait to pull the trigger..
    Only worry about the car is the same issue I had with the Kona. As the Ioniq 5 doesn't have a dedicated AC unit for battery cooling, charging speed will be reduced if running the cabin AC while charging. That's not an issue with Teslas as they have a dedicated battery AC unit.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. As I understand Tesla's do not have a dedicated unit for the battery. Instead of being able to choose what you want to cool, like it is in the Kona, Tesla's just cut off the cabin cooling to keep the battery cool choosing battery over cabin. The Kona will reduce the battery cooling if you choose to cool the cabin.

I guess it's a personal thing which approach you like better.

(If I'm wrong about that I apologize, but that's what I understand from reading and hearing online)

4. FloridaSun

I don't know this for a fact but I saw a video by Bjørn Nyland about IONIQ 5 cooling issues which reduces speed during charging significantly when AC is on as also reduced power to car right after a longer charging session and he mentions that Tesla doesn't have this problem as they have a dedicated AC system for the battery. 4:10 into the video. Appears that older Model X and S only have one AC unit and do what you describe (reduce cabin cooling to prioritize battery cooling) but newer ones like Model 3 and Y have 2.

I took his word for it. Don't have the technical specifics to verify that this is true. I know that I was running the AC on a 93 degree Florida day while charging at the 250 kw Crestview Supercharger and I got full charging speed throughout the session while keeping the cabin at 70 degrees..

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
  5. GaryClark

GaryClark Active Member

NC
    "Finally found a dealer who would sell it at MSRP about an hour from me." "Only worry about the car is the same issue I had with the Kona. As the Ioniq 5 doesn't have a dedicated AC unit for battery cooling"

You've done your home work on their issue with battery cooling which only means abandoning the IONIQ 5 while fast charging with all electronics turned off while fast charging so the AC can be dedicate to cooling the batteries as it priorities cabin comfort. Time will tell if cooling capacity effects the power delivery on hot days but an early test (1,400 miles 9 Charging Sessions posed below) shows it's not a range champ and other reviews reveal it's a very finicky charge champ needing just the right battery & ambient temperatures. If yours is a 90% locally used EV with the majority of charging at home when not using up the fee charging you should be fine especially if road trips don't have huge time constraints.

Early drive results reveal it's more of a luxury drive feel being much more quiet than the Model Y and a much softer ride without losing composure. It's not as robust the the Y but the suspension also doesn't beat you to death with pavement imperfections. Personally I would have to get the top trim because the SEL trim strips out the Panoramic, Privacy Shades, HUD, Memory Seats and Ventilated front seats. Sadly no one gets rear heated seats, the front glove drawer or the relaxation passenger seat (no one is talking about) seen in Korea. No one is talking about it so it's probably not even the 8 way power passenger seat found in the Canada's top trim.

If you have cold winter trips; know that the AWD is the only one that comes with a battery heater (heat pump) so the RWD can add misery to cold charging and passenger comfort with no rear heated seats or heat pump. For me this is a reason I would have to put up with a lower range AWD but I can't stomach what is talked about on that 1,400 mile trip discussion linked below. I'm in NC, which along with GA got bumped out of the initial states included so I'm on the side lines wondering if my day one reservation will be on a 2022 or a 2023 or 2024 IONIQ 5. Regardless I'll gladly wait until the dust settles and hopefully they increase the cooling capacity so I can Fast Charge while not sweating in my relaxation front seat(s).

Don't let the length of the below podcast deter you as they cover the subject of the IONIQ 5 Road trip right off the bat.

SkyShotEV likes this.
  6. FloridaSun

I'm in Florida, so heat pump is not a consideration. I don't care for HUD or glass roof. Range is the most important factor, so RWD is thr only choice. The SEL at MSRP is a great value..after tax credit about $40k. That's not bad for over 300 mile range. I hope that the wife will like it..

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SkyShotEV

SkyShotEV Member

Hope she gets a thorough test drive in at least to confirm how close the 300+ range estimates or results are.

GaryClark likes this.
  9. FloridaSun

Don't think that they let us test drive the car for a full charge.. I can see what kind of mi/kwh we will be getting on the test drive..

SkyShotEV likes this.
  10. Tony S

Tony S Active Member

Did you manage to test drive the IONIQ 5, and what was your decision. Our dealer here in Naples received two RWD cars yesterday and supposedly ready for test drive today. But they said there’ll be markups on these cars ….. unacceptable to me; will not pay over MSRP. Still not sure if RWD has adequate on-ramp 30-70 acceleration or the AWD is needed.

11. I test drove the RWD and it was ok. Compared to my Niro EV, it doesn’t feel as quick or like it has as much torque. To me it feels similar to the RWD VW ID.4…ok, but nothing exciting. I’d like the extra power in reserve. Drive the AWD in ECO, switch to normal when needed and Sport when you just want to have some fun.

I’m in Orlando and have been calling and inquiring with many dealers and none has or will commit to Sticker price plus Dealer Fee, Tax & DMV. It ranges from 2k to $10.5k over plus various dealer installed adds.

The best straight up best offer was from Holler Hyundai in Winter Park, FL for a Limited AWD. They were $3k over sticker, plus $799 dealer fee, tax & dmv. Needless to say, I walked and will continue to.

Florida Sun mentioned Courtesy Hyundai in Tampa. I believe he was told MSRP by them; however, my last conversation with them yesterday was very different. They would not commit on an incoming Lucid Blue w/gray interior Limited AWD and alluded to $10k over sticker.

I’ll keep watching & inquiring. Now that the EV6 arrival is imminent I’ll be following & inquiring about it also.

Tony S likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Tony S

Tony S Active Member

Thank you! The Lucid Blue w/gray interior Limited AWD is exactly what I’m looking for @MSRP …… Will wait for it, not in hurry.

Ride_Da_Lightning likes this.
  14. Additional info…I just received a call from Hyundai of Venice about two (2) Lucid Blue Limited AWDs w/Black Interior, set to be delivered 2/9 & 2/10, $2k over plus a definite non-negotiable $1,995 protection package full of your favorite useless nonsensical items.

A phone call with New Port Richey Hyundai claims MSRP but similarly, a non negotiable $1,995 protection package.

I also followed up with Holler Hyundai…and was told both Digital Teal Limited AWDs have been sold, since my visit on 1/24, for the $3k over and they do not expect to make any adjustments to their pricing anytime soon. They currently show 39 IONIQ 5’s, SE’s & SEL’s.

C8CD4013-A1C4-4417-B8F4-24A55A928705.jpeg

As long as people keep paying over sticker & getting raped, we are in for the long haul. Fortunately, I can and will wait.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
  15. GaryClark

GaryClark Active Member

NC
    The only dealer in FL I found to be so upfront about the "Dealer Adjustment" garbage. They may not have the color or trim you want but if I lived in FL I'd be talking in person with the sales manager. I'd be finding out what inventory he had coming, who he could trade with and what those units look like. I'd ask about placing an order for one even if it were a 2023 if nothing was panning out. Patience will pay off eventually and it may come down to teaming up with an advocate in the form of a dealership that has integrity. When Hyundai releases these in NC I have my dealer picked out already without question. Thankfully he has a multiple manufacture dealerships so my options for MSRP is wide open and I will wait until the vehicle and time is right.

Screen Shot 2022-01-29 at 11.23.06 PM.png
    https://www.hyundaicfl.com/new-inventory/index.htm?model=IONIQ%205&sortBy=internetPrice%20desc

SkyShotEV likes this.
  16. “Patience will pay off eventually and it may come down to teaming up with an advocate in the form of a dealership that has integrity.”

in Florida, I don’t believe there is a single dealer, of any mfg., that has integrity.

I went to my local Hyundai dealer, who I have a previous relationship with, who does not have any IONIQ 5’s and none currently on order. I asked if they could order/find/get one. I gave them exactly what I wanted and was told the salesperson and sales manager will meet with the owner on Monday and get back to me. I do not have much hope but, it was worth an in person conversation. I’ll report back either way after hearing from them.

The above Hyundai of CFL, is not the best straight up no haggle deal. Holler Hyundai is $3k over plus $799 dealer fee, tax & dmv. CFL is $4k over no dealer fee plus tax & dmv.

if you are willing to pay over sticker, I certainly don’t understand but, in the last week, there is not a Limited AWD that I have inquired about from 3-10k over that has not been reported as sold. I certainly don’t understand it but, more power to the people willing to throw money away. I’ll continue to wait.

With the release of the EV6 pricing, which places it higher than the IONIQ 5, it will be interesting to see how the pricing games progress.

SkyShotEV likes this.
  17. SkyShotEV

SkyShotEV Member

Im thinking the integrity factor is far wider than FL instead points directly back to Corporate. Not being able to get preferred choices W/O additional anything is the iceberg tip of a huge turnoff. As @GaryClark and @Ride_Da_Lightning and other wiser sentiments have alluded, I agree my patience with the brand has run its course and for one won't be waiting any longer I can't believe its been almost 1 year since getting sucked in to help finance a "star studded" marketing campaign. Time has come for me to go back to "Concierge" and cordially request my deposit refund.

Esprit1st likes this.
  18. Daniel Achatz

Daniel Achatz New Member

I’m just going to say that car prices right now are crazy. Should you really complain about $3000 over sticker when you probably got $3000 more for used car than you would expect in normal times. It seems to be a wash. I bought a 2018 Miata Club used with all the whistles and bells two and a half years ago. I put about 13,000 miles on it. I sold it to a dealer last week for the same price that I bought it for two and a half years ago. Think about that, a convertible, in the winter, in rainy Seattle.

Esprit1st likes this.