2022 Mini SE - In Focus: Range!

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by GvilleGuy, Aug 22, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Godfrey

Godfrey Member

Based on the plug-in and unplug percentages in the MINI app export files for all charges (not the kWh amount shown in the app, which I assume includes overhead), here's what I'm getting so far:

1,555 miles driven
    136.5 miles implied range per full charge
    4.7 mi/kWh
    13.2 kWh/100km

Again, this excludes charging overhead--it's just based on percentage of battery used (1139% total) times 28.9 kWh.

As you can see, I haven't put many miles on my car yet. About half freeway, half city driving mostly for efficiency. I only got my car in August, so temperatures have been mild other than some hot days in August. (Winters are mild where I live, so I don't expect efficiency to drop nearly as much as it does for people who get real winters.)

wessy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up on the updated app, I wouldn't have noticed!

I'll split mine into two since the tire/wheel swap had a huge effect.

OEM Hankook Ventus Prime3 (195/55R16): 3,543 miles driven
    Average: 4.7 mi/kWh (136mi range)
    Best trip: 6.2 mi/kWh over 9 miles (179mi range)
    Worst trip: 3.9 mi/kWh over 34 miles (113mi range)​

BFGoodrich Comp2 A/S Plus (215/45R17): 253 mi driven
    Average: 3.8 mi/kWh (110mi range)
    Best trip: 5.4 mi/kWh over 90mi (156mi range)
    Worst trip: 3.4 mi/kWh over 46mi (98mi range)​

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
  4. vader

vader Well-Known Member

over 15000km, average 12.5kWh/100km (5 mi/kWh - OK 4.97).

5. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

Would you be willing to post up your Excel sheet? I think I would understand it better if I could actually see it. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

6. Godfrey

Godfrey Member

I'll make a version of my current spreadsheet that I can share. For now, here's a screenshot showing some formulas I just typed into an app export file to illustrate what can be done with the new odometer ("Total mileage") column.

Notes:
    • The first column added (column O) in the screenshot converts the "Total mileage" cell in the app export file from text to a value.
    • Cell P7 in the screenshot could have been =O7-O8. I use OFFSET so that I can insert and delete rows without messing up the formulas.
    • The text color for these extra columns in the download file needs to be changed from white to Automatic or black--at least for me the text was white.
    • Probably no need to say this, but the formulas are the same in all the rows--just copied from row 7.
    Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 8.03.01 PM.png

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Carsten Haase

Here's what I'm using, you should be able to make a copy of this for yourself:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Cap3QHJHroSmU8Ck8kh7lj3BRBhkmT6Bd_G7IgDoEDw/edit?usp=sharing

I made it in Excel and just imported to Google sheets so hopefully everything works. I left a bit of my data in there as an example, just keep adding rows to the top, copy data from the exported MINI app excel sheet and paste into cell L6. I think with Google sheets you have to manually drag the formulas up into the inserted rows... Excel does that automatically.

It has totals at the top with a best, worst, and all time average efficiency. Same as @Godfrey, I'm just using change in battery % between last unplug and latest plug in with the net kWh at the top.

SameGuy, endquote and Godfrey like this.
  9. Quick really stupid question from a brand new owner... I assume it's the TRIP odometer we're resetting every time? (told you it was stupid.)

10. And while I'm here, I have another noob question: Back in the day, it was always "Let your phone run all the way down before you charge it fully and don't just top it off with a small percentage every night or you'll "train" your battery's range to be that small size." Not even sure how true that ever was... but does our SE battery need to be "stretched" with <10% to FULL charge every now and then, or is going from 60%-100% every night okay?

NewGreen and wessy like this.
  11. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

The SE protects itself from being discharged too far, but you should not try for complete discharge before charging. Lithium Ion batteries don't have the memory effect previous rechargeable battery chemistry has, so you should not worry about when you charge. And you don't have to worry about charging to 100%, the SE batteries are also protected from overcharging.

For the SE it's ABC—Always Be Charging. Plug in when you need (or want) to, and let it go to 100%.

wessy, Texas22Step, e22mini and 2 others like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Congrats on your new SE! You certainly were smart to choose the most fun EV you could buy.

There are no stupid questions here (except my too-often repeated question about why this electric car has a fake hood scoop). You cannot reset the regular odometer; it would be illegal.

wessy and Texas22Step like this.
  14. ghost

ghost Active Member

Why is the kWh number so different given from the app compared to the calculation (battery percentage used x 28.9)?

My calculated kWh is always lower, which increases my mi/kWh efficiency.

15. Carsten Haase

I believe the app is showing the kWh used for charging so it is including the charging inefficiency (~20% loss)

Urbanengineer and ghost like this.
  16. Godfrey

Godfrey Member

That's what I've assumed as well.

The thing I wonder about is whether the car's efficiency stats shown on the instrument cluster and central information display (e.g., using trip computer) also include some provision for charging overhead. They always understate efficiency compared to spreadsheet calculations based on battery charge percent and 28.9 kWh usable capacity. I think I may have seen this addressed somewhere on the forum, but I wasn't able to find it just now doing various searches.

17. NewGreen

NewGreen Member

I've barely scratched the surface of this whole kWh thing!! I just started a new job which means I need to commute 2-3 days per week. And, I get to plug-in at work. (Just a regular outlet and using my own cord, but still, nice!) I earned 5 stars in both categories tonight for the first time! And "gained" 2 miles on the way home. On the way to work, the commute is 14 miles, but I only "use" 10 miles! I believe I need to start tracking how many kWh I use for my various commutes. The morning commute is basically 14 miles downhill. And the afternoon commute is stop-and-go one-pedal driving....

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
  18. Carsten Haase

Every time you plug in, the MINI app creates a record of the location, plug in percent, unplug percent, and odometer reading so if you're charging at work all the time you should be able to easily get the data from the charge history export!

Urbanengineer likes this.
  19. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

My Range video (link in first post) has been updated with a new version of the Range calculator - Mini EV Range 2.0 IOS Shortcut:

Version 2.0: 01/26/22:
    1) Fix a bug in calculation when starting battery less than 100% (thank you, @Puppethead )
    2) Add miles/kilometer prompt
    3) (thanks to @fasttr ) Shortcut writes log to IOS Note: You MUST CREATE a new IOS Note with title “Mini SE Range History” before the calculator will run correctly

IOS Shortcut direct link:
    https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/9a174a4fd8dc472d9dc21404c3aa293e

Let me know if you have any trouble. Thanks!

Note example:
    AF2D8EE7-A690-449B-A183-47CF8A26A245.png

drdunkyn and Denise C like this.
  20. Denise C

Denise C Active Member

Cool! I was wondering how to keep a log of the data. I just screen shot and saved in my photo thinking one day I will plug them into a spread sheet haha. Thanks for the shortcut!

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

GvilleGuy likes this.
  21. GvilleGuy

Let me know if you have any issues getting it running. I need beta testers!

Denise C likes this.
  22. SpeedyRS

SpeedyRS Well-Known Member

This is brilliant! Thanks for this!

GvilleGuy likes this.
  23. GvilleGuy

In case anyone is seeing this shortcut for the first time - the YouTube video description also has an icon you can download, and the video describes how to create an app icon for the shortcut so that you can run it from the phone menu rather than opening Shortcuts app.

For you kilometer folks: If you open the shortcut steps to edit them in the 'shortcuts' app - look at step one for "Ask for Text with MI" - touch the blue circle with the greater than symbol and change the default answer to "Km". Will save you a few key strokes

moofpup likes this.