The App(s)

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by PB+J, Jan 5, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. PB+J

PB+J New Member

New 2022 Niro EV owner here. Also new to EVs in general. I'm getting used to it. This site has been great--I'm already ordering the parts to disable the backing alarm.

When I got the car the dealer told me about an App, "Kia Connect" that would let me interact with the car. I tried to download it from the Apple appstore but as far as I can tell it's now called "KiaAccess." Is that right?

The app is frustrating. I'd like it to be able to start the car remotely, to warm it up on cold mornings, and I'd like to be able to schedule charging for off peak times--that is, come home plug it in, and set it to charge from say midnight to seven am.

Amazingly, it seems like you can't remote start it if the charger is plugged in. As I write this it's in the 20s F. outside with 7 inches of snow, but to have the remote start work I'd have to go outside, remove the charger, then go back inside and use the phone app to start the climate controls. Is that right? Because it makes no sense at all.

And it's not at all clear how you could schedule a charging time--as far as I can tell it wants you to set a departure time first, which has nothing to do with a desire to schedule regular charging for off-peak times. Is it possible to plug the charger in and tell the car to start charging at a specific time?

Derrydave likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. mike bazinet

mike bazinet New Member

my app is called kia uvo and i have no problem starting the climate settings when plugged in

4. PB+J

PB+J New Member

I have an app called Kia UVO but have not had any luck getting it to do anything

5. mike bazinet

mike bazinet New Member

In the settings, on the select car, is the car registered with your vin and "active"? If not, the dealer probably didn't activate it. Also check on your laptop if you have the same problem

6. if you buy in mass, you don't get kia connect for some legal reason, only thing I used it for was to check charge level remotely. bought the car before, kia changed the policy

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Crash

Crash Member

The official Kia iPhone app is called "Kia Access".

1) I can remotely start the climate no matter if it is plugged into my charger.
    2) No sure about setting charging time windows. I personally use my charger's app to do that (done once and have no need to tweak those times as they are based on electricity costs).
    3) I did just now look at the Kia's app and see that "Remote Charge Schedule" which you mention. I assume you could just set it to ensure you car was charged by say 6am everyday. This would accomplish what I wanted 1) charged up when I head out the door (using 6am as an example) and 2) charging during my low-cost electric times (limited chance that the car would start to charge before 9pm when my rate window starts).

9. CBOW

CBOW New Member

I have a 2019 which I generally charge at home on my Juice Box charger. You do have to set a departure time in the car for some reason, but after that it's possible to preset the time to begin charging at the lowest rate time. When I want to charge, I just plug the car in, and it does the rest, I find the app pretty useless and after my free year I have chosen not to pay for the "premium" features. If I want to charge at someplace other than home such as at a fast charger it's necessary to push the little button on the lower left of the dash so the car doesn't "wait to charge at scheduled time". I don't need the remote start feature so maybe the app will help with that once you figure it out.

10. Thurbeb

Thurbeb New Member

I am in Mass, and use Kia Access. its unreliable at best, but when it works its handy.
    It does allow for climate on/off (calling it remote start is a bit confusing), it also has some other commands (charge/lock doors, setup schedule).
    The scheduling of charging and departure times is a bit obtuse, but seems to work.

11. JasonG

JasonG Member

I own a 2019 and I have the "Kia Access" app. I didn't pay after the first year and it seems to still function well enough for me. At home, I use the scheduled charging setting in the car to charge overnight and they seem to work...

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Functions, but you cannot remote start unless you paid them more money.

14. JasonG

JasonG Member

Luckily I'm in a warmer climate so remote start isn't much of an issue for me... plus my car in a garage usually.

15. Me too, they want a ridiculous amount of money for the feature for a year.

perraru likes this.
  16. Derrydave

Derrydave New Member

What parts did you order to disable the alarm PB+J? How did you do it and did it work?

17. GeorgeT

GeorgeT New Member

18. Bernice Yip

Bernice Yip New Member

Hi,

Our company is seeking EV owners in US to conduct a brief zoom interview(no longer than 20 mins), getting a better sense of people who've used EV charging platform. We will give out around 35-50 USD through paypal for reward. let me know if you're interested. PM at [email protected]. thanks

Bernice