Charging (In)Efficiency

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by JZ99, Jan 19, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. drdunkyn

drdunkyn Well-Known Member

Good copy on all counts!! Man, I love this forum -- hopefully I won't forget everything I've learned here! I'm pretty sure I'll go with the L2 once I've seen how L1 performs. In the Bay Area where I live temps don't get too crazy, and it will remain in the garage for all charging, but I still want the best efficiency.

Dang Omicron is crushing everyone in healthcare, but my Mini musings are helping to keep my spirits up. Hoping to see a downward trend in the coming weeks. Cheers, all!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 Active Member

I have the car set to charge immediately and to pre-condition for departure at 6:45 AM M-F. My wife gets home between 3 and 4 typically with 60% SOC still. The car is done with primary charging by 8 or 9 pm.

Does the charging report in the app also count energy added after the primary charge? I presume that over the 10+ hours until it is unplugged, it periodically adds some juice to counter passive losses. Then then in the morning when it is conditioning. Does the report for that charging session count all of that? Everything it takes from plug-in to plug-out (whether that is the next morning or several days)? If it isn't driven on a day, that "session" could include the main charge to 100%, a couple of days of passive losses plus a few sessions of conditioning.

Rob

4. Urbanengineer

Urbanengineer Active Member

That cost the same as the mini *

I think the Toyota RAV4 prime and equivalent is $40k+ base.

5. Urbanengineer

I would say it’s important for charge and discharge, hence why power is significantly reduced during cold weather (80% at 20*D, 60% at 0*F (anecdotal)).

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Remember, @JZ99 was specifying ICE cars running on only gasoline. That disqualifies PHEVs. (Side note: And good luck trying to find a RAV4 Prime at MSRP!)

Urbanengineer likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 Active Member

I would have traded my RAV4 Hybrid (which we love) for a Prime if I could have gotten one at MSRP at all. They don't (or didn't) officially sell them in Washington for some reason, even the though State is nuts for EVs. Now that I have the Mini SE also, I wouldn't do it.

Rob

9. JZ99

JZ99 Member

Plug-in is cheating, but hybrid isn't. Diesel is fair game, too.

Urbanengineer and insightman like this.
  10. JZ99

JZ99 Member

I just completed a highway round trip at -10F. Whopping 65 mile range. I would have been sweating over the 4 mile remaining range it was screaming at me, except I was freezing in G+ mode!

11. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

My EVSE shows no change in the amount of kWh consumed after charging finishes. ie when the car is just sitting there plugged in so losses while parked seem immeasurably low. The EVSE consumption counter registers down to 10wattHours resolution so 0.01 kWh and it never goes up. The longest we’ve had the car parked up after charging finished is 3 days and the counter never moved…
    Our Tesla also doesn’t seem to pull any but will begin charging again once it has dropped by 1% below target charge level which seems to be every few days.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

I agree. Even if the pennies don't merit L2, the experience does. Getting a full charge in under 4 hours without thinking about it is one of the best parts of owning an EV, IMO. I'd enjoy ownership a lot less if I had to plan my driving around 12+ hours of charging.

14. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

Installing an L2 EVSE might make it on to my to-do list this spring. Too cold right now to be climbing around in the attic. What's the most the MINI draws? 24A?

15. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

About 32A at 240VAC, so you'll want at least a 40A breaker.

16. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

Too cold sounds like the opposite problem I usually have in attics! I don't think I've ever not been sweaty afterwards. Wrestling the giant 6awg cable around was definitely enough to keep me warm when I did mine

F14Scott likes this.
  17. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

I think the SE's onboard charger maxes out at 7.4kW (and almost 11kW for 3 phase) so if that's the case 7400W/240V is ~ 30.83A. Could be helpful if you place the EVSE in a location that can charge both inside and outside the garage. The 25 ft cable is more like 19 feet actual (3 ft to the floor and 3ft back to the charger port). No problem for a MINI but something to consider for households with 2+ EVs.

18. wessy

wessy Active Member

Totally. Heck, in addition to faster (and more efficient) charging one of the things I’m looking forward to most once I have my L2 EVSE installed is just eliminating the need to pull the OEM charging cable that came with the car out of the boot ;) and stowing it back in there every time I want to plug in.

A real first-world “problem,” for sure! But I’m all for the enhanced experience I expect an L2 to provide. (And while I have no plans to move, having the wiring work done — by a pro, too — can’t hurt my home’s resale value, either.)

Laker2016 and F14Scott like this.
  19. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I consider adding L2 charging to be a home improvement. In a couple years that will become a big selling point on homes, if the current adoption rate of EVs continues.

And having it done by an electrician may be advantageous for insurance purposes in the case of a garage fire. Not to mention there's the federal tax credit that can pay for a significant portion of the install.

Laker2016 and Urbanengineer like this.
  20. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

I believe the US Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Tax Credit is expired as of December 31, 2021, but check with your city/state and utility provider for incentives/rebates!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
  21. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Oh dang it did expire.

22. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

I just received notice that I was denied the rebate offered by my utility. Why? The charger I installed was not "permanent". Fap!

23. Urbanengineer

R
    Time to resubmit it with it covered by an external cover .