Annoying rattle

Discussion in 'Hyundai IONIQ Electric' started by Bolero630, Jan 18, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Bolero630

Bolero630 New Member

I bought a new Ioniq Hybrid last October and since new there has been an annoying rattle from the rear somewhere. I thought it was maybe the blind or the boot floor but it is neither.
    I contacted my local dealer to find out if they had any previous complaints like this and they informed me it may cost me £130 for them to investigate as whatever it is may not be covered by warranty. I have removed every thing from the boot, even the floor and it still rattles at every change in road surface. I am thinking now it must be under the rear seat but if I remove it that may nullify the warranty.
    Any suggestions?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Bolero630

Bolero630 New Member

Yesterday I bit the bullet and removed rear seat, what a ba+++++ of a job, 2 clips at front of seat released easily by just pulling the front upwards. The 2 bolts holding the rear are situated under the seat and very limited space to get to them - no room for socket so open spanner used. then unplug the 3 electrical plugs and the seat lifts out. I went over every nut and bolt I could see and all were tight. I then noticed that the plastic cooling vent for the battery was able to flex quite a bit so I fitted a felt pad under it. Put all back together and smugly drove car. AAARRGH the rattle was still there.

4. jeff10236

jeff10236 Member

I'm sorry you are having that problem. Overall these are quiet cars so it doesn't take much to notice something you wouldn't in an ICE car. For a while I heard an annoying rattle off and on in the front. I soon realized, I heard it when I had a water bottle in the cup holders. The car is quiet enough that I heard the bottle moving a little in the cup holder and my brain registered it as a rattle in the car. Like mine, it could be something minor (and not even necessarily the car itself), it could be a "normal" noise in any other car, but since an electric is so quiet it is more noticeable, and it could be something important enough you want it taken care of (suspension issues?). It does sound like it is really bothering you, so it may be worth it to pay the dealer to diagnose it (assuming it isn't something under warranty, in which case they shouldn't charge you). Or, if you are older like me (51), I remember the cars from the 1970s that always had a rattle or five somewhere in the car, so, while it annoys me when it happens, when one of my cars rattles, I ignore it if I can't find the source and fix it myself.

5. Bolero630

Bolero630 New Member

Thanks for your reply Jeff, I have come to accept it. The car is a hybrid so I still have the petrol engine as well as the electric motor. Re being older - you are still a youngster - I have just turned 75. When the car gets its first service next October I'll ask the garage to look for it. I have tried emptying the boot completely, even took the floor out but the rattle was still there. If the road surface is smooth - no rattle but hit a pothole or change in road surface then it can be heard.

jeff10236 likes this.
  6. Bolero630

Bolero630 New Member

Hi Jeff,
    I don't know how you managed it but I was out in my car this morning and - No rattles. It was so quiet on different roads and even going over speed bumps. Sounded like a different car. You are a magician - thank you. Seriously I did nothing and the rattle was gone.

jeff10236 likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.