Charging (In)Efficiency

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by JZ99, Jan 19, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Public outdoor charging station, maybe the super cold air caused superconducting :D:D

My 40-mile trip this morning in -13 ºF weather came out to 3.11 mi/kWh for a total calculated range of 89.83 (using @GvilleGuy's MINI EV Range shortcut). On days like this I add about 10% SoC during the day to make it home since my total trip is 80-85 miles.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. JZ99

JZ99 Member

This is pretty interesting. Charging efficiency is lowest for long low voltage charge events. This is the opposite of my prior. The reason is that the charger is operating well outside of it's design target, for a long time.

4. Puppethead

Here's my level 2 charge session at home overnight (inside unheated garage, Grizzl-E Classic set to 32 A output), I'm showing 86% efficiency: (1.00 - 0.23) * 28.9 / 26 = 0.85588.

level2home.jpg

5. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

I don't know exactly the number for fixed losses for EVSEs, but let's say 0.300 kilowatts for easy math. DC fast charging would probably be 0.15kWh for 30 minutes, Level 2 7kW would be ~1.2kWh for 4 hours and Level 1 could be 7.2kWh for 24 hours of charging. It's probably much lower!

6. JZ99

JZ99 Member

Your electricity is very cheap, too. I'm paying 3x your rate.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Puppethead

My electricity company offers off-peak rate of $0.04/kWh for EV charging. Totally worth adding a second meter.

Urbanengineer likes this.
  9. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I have the Chargepoint Home Flex level 2 EVSE. I selected charging sessions where I used at least 20 kWh. I included some hot summer months along with recent cooler ones in South Carolina. I wish the Mini app could show a more precise value on kWh used.

Battery Charge Efficiency.jpg

10. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

Since those were all going to 100%, did you have cabin preconditioning on? If that power usage is included you'd be understating your actual efficiency

11. GvilleGuy

No - that was just plugging the car in to charge overnight and walking away. And no departure stuff scheduled, either. I rarely do that. Is that what you meant?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

Yep the precondition for departure what what I was asking about. Seems weird to me that there is such a huge variation in efficiency. My thought was that there was something else using some of the power but if not the HVAC compressor I'm not sure what else it could be.

14. teslarati97

It's like $0.36 USD/kWh in Germany and $7 USD/gal. In the UK it's about $0.284 USD/kWh and $7.5 USD/gal plus BIK taxable benefits for company cars.

15. JZ99

JZ99 Member

Wind power!

16. teslarati97

There's a really interesting article at https://chargedevs.com/features/a-closer-look-at-minimizing-ac-charging-losses-from-the-breaker-to-ev-part-1/

While every home is built differently (different gauge wire and wire lengths), a 3% voltage drop tolerance could mean line losses of Level 1 81W range while a Level 2 40A could top out at 288W. This is on the extreme side, but the Smart EVSEs and the MINI app won't factor in the line loss. As for auxiliary and parasitic losses for the coolant circulation pump and heat exchanger fan, the article cites a "few hundred watts". Maybe my 300 watt estimate was actually not too far off, but I'd imagine it the load would cycle on and off.

17. There seems to be discrepancies between MINI app and ChargePoint home-flex app on how much juice was used to charge 87% of battery.

Per MINI app ~ 31 kWh used => 81% efficiency: (1.00 - 0.13) * 28.9 / 31 = 0.8110

Per ChargePoint app 29.06 kWh used => 86% efficiency: (1.00 - 0.13) * 28.9 / 29.06 = 0.8652

Not sure which one to trust

18. GvilleGuy

I noticed that in my Chargepoint app, as well. The kWh values differed from Mini app by a bit.

19. teslarati97

The smart EVSE might not have a revenue grade consumption tracker (less than +/- 0.5% accuracy). You could alternatively put trackers on your main panel and then you can monitor each breaker.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  20. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 Active Member

I was inspired to make my own spreadsheet to track charging sessions. My estimated $$ is $0.125 per kWh.

upload_2022-1-20_21-3-36.png

Note that the charging on the 1st was at Electrify America. All others were at home using a Grizzl-E at 24A on a 30A 240V circuit.

Rob

21. JZ99

JZ99 Member

When I started this study, I thought the app reported numbers must be wrong, since my calculated efficiency numbers were so bad. So I purchased a watt meter with a claimed accuracy of around 1%. It's reported kWh values are consistent with the app reported numbers, although it is higher resolution than the app, which rounds to the nearest kWh, which is kind of not-great, especially for short charges. For a one kWh charge, the Mini app has a precision of +/- 50%!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    Urbanengineer and GvilleGuy like this.
  22. JZ99

JZ99 Member

Thank you for posting.

What was the charge method at Electrify America? L2 or L3? Charge rate? I'm wondering why the efficiency is higher. It must be DC.

23. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 Active Member

Yes. It was DC fast charging. I think the peak I saw was 47 kW (50 kW max theoretical for the Mini). I posted the charging session afterwards.

Rob