Decision based upon charging availability in the SW

Discussion in 'General' started by Ed K, Jan 18, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Ed K

Ed K New Member

We regularly drive (20+ times/yr) from Phoenix to CA/LV and NM for my sons soccer career. I want an EV and have looked at the e-tron/Taycan/Model Y. The Model Y has the Tesla infrastructure as a huge plus but has the build quality of a $20k Chevy (windows rattling when closing doors etc). The only reason I'd buy the Y is the Tesla supercharging network (the infotech is pretty great though)...
    Edit: Plugshare helps with its trip planner but real world experience is what i'm looking for.

TIA for you responses

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I can only share my Tesla Model 3 experience:
    • First drive, 100% SOC, drive to the furtherest SuperCharge with planned 30 mile reserve.
      • If reserve decreases too quickly, take away 5 mph until stable
    • Drive to nearest fast food place for sack meal and bathroom.
    • At SuperCharger, eat sack meal and charge enough, typically 20 min., to reach next SuperCharger with 30 mile reserve.
    • At night, pick a motel with free breakfast and J1772/Tesla charger.
    Expect to get ~700-750 miles each day with a sleep over. Two drivers can achieve 1,000 miles every 24 hours.

GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson

Ed K likes this.
  4. Ed K

Ed K New Member

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    I'll skip the sack meal as Its not really food but your advice is much appreciated.

5. I travelled 2200 miles round trip last summer. While I can’t comment on your specific trips I can say that PlugShare was incredibly useful for mine. Also, my return trip was much easier as I made less stops on the way back after I learned the route. I did this trip in a Hyundai Kona, my best interstate range was around 230 miles on a near full charge. Usually I stopped to charge at around 170 miles simply because of charger locations. And as mentioned already I stayed at a hotel with a destination charger. If you have charging stations along your preferred routes any decent EV will do.

Ed K, electriceddy and bwilson4web like this.
  6. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

IMHO….
    Right now the charging is far more important than the build quality.
    I have a Y and get plenty of creaks from the b-pillars and occasionally other spots depending on the weather and how bad the roads are.
    However I would still buy it again as when we make trips out west from Texas or to the Pacific NW I do not want charging issues en-route as that would be far more annoying than any rattle.

I don’t believe the non Tesla charging situation is there yet, certainly not if long distances are something I would be doing regularly.

7. To remove this ad click here.