Repair issues and fixes

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Francois, Oct 7, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Had the gearbox oil changed today with 8699 on the odo...what a difference!
    Quieter , smoother running ... I recommend this to all Kona EV owners.
    Cost was $67.50 Labor, (2) Hyundai branded 00232-19063 70W fluid (obviously more than a single QT container) @ $58.35 each, and the magnetic (non) plug #00810-17121 which I had ordered, had it installed anyway $4.56 - total $210.42 c/w taxes CDN.

Thanks to @KiwiME, @OzKona, and @navguy12. for research:)

R P, KiwiME, arhnold and 3 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Really? Nobody else mentioned quieter and smoother running. Maybe I should give it a try? I recorded my car decelerating today. Just my phone in the cabin so a bit quiet. Can anybody tell me if it's unusual? Would having the oil changed or the differential looked at be in order?
    https://recorder.google.com/share/30474f52-9afd-4695-af2f-069c8f57e2f1

electriceddy likes this.
  4. That small rumbling sound as it winds down and general mechanical gear noise is gone. Must have got used to it over time. I was not expecting that with just a fluid change, but obviously well worth the minimal cost and probably saved future early replacement.
    BTW... it was black like everyone else's;)

KiwiME and navguy12 like this.
  5. That sounds like a recommendation. I'll definitely consider the next time I'm in for service. Thanks.

6. I have not noticed a diff in sound after my oil change, and I was looking for that based on some other comments here. Having said that, it wasn't noisy before the oil change either. That changed back when I had the motor and reduction gear replaced (due to ticking sound). When I got the car back then I immediately noticed that it was quieter (not just no more ticking).

navguy12 likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Oh man. You're harshing my buzz, Dude. Thought I'd hit paydirt!

navguy12 and electriceddy like this.
  9. Good job even if it cost a bit more than I would have expected. I hope they gave you the unused oil for next time. So, do I understand that you ordered the Hyundai plug and it was non-magnetic as @navguy12 found out? I'm asking because an owner on HyundaiKonaForum also had the dealer install this part but no one there thought to check to see if it was magnetic first, lol. I'm suspecting it wasn't.

10. That's doesn't mean it won't work for you...

electriceddy likes this.
  11. So, myself and at least one other owner (unsolicited) thought that the car seemed quieter after the oil change. I don't know what the scientific basis for that would be but it's better than the other way 'round so I'll take it.
    Wow, that does seem noisy and most of it sounds like electronic switching rather than the gearbox. Now I understand what you've been complaining about all this time :). Or, maybe mines the same and I'm just a bit deaf? The oil change is just cheap insurance for not having to argue facts with the dealer if the gearbox falls apart.
    Either way you can be certain that the dealer will suddenly become deaf if you complain so I'd suggest changing the oil anyway in the slim chance that it helps. Any shop should be able to do this if you supply the oil (Redline MT-LV, 2 qts) and the drain plug torque, 35 ft-lbs dry.

navguy12 likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Correct, I just had the plug installed anyway after checking at the counter as they were kind enough to order it.
    I just let them keep the leftovers as I probably won't require any more for some time. Once opened not sure of the "best before" date, hopefully another owner can make use of it before too long.;)

KiwiME likes this.
  14. You could have stored it in the fridge alongside the eggs and butter. I'm sure the domestic supervisor wouldn't have minded.;)

navguy12 and electriceddy like this.
  15. Kona57

Kona57 New Member

Do the local dealerships stock the magnetic plugs?

16. navguy12

navguy12 Well-Known Member

Mine didn’t, it was special order…but both units that were shipped did NOT have any magnetic properties.

YMMV

electriceddy likes this.
  17. Don't know if this has been posted here yet, but saw it on another forum. I don't know who this guy is, but sounds like he works in a Hyundai shop, and quite familiar with gearbox replacements.
    https://streamable.com/6320yp

18. Interesting ... The Offroading Mechanic, a Hyundai tech, all his Hyundai-related videos have been deleted off YouTube. This was the video originally posted there that kind of kicked the whole thing off.

electriceddy and navguy12 like this.
  19. Well, our EV power train warranty (incl reduction gearbox) in Canada is 8 years, 160K kms. I doubt I will keep the car that long (took 2.5 years to get to 40K kms), so not anticipating any high cost repairs. But I don't expect resale value to be very good in a few years time. So might just end up handing it down to someone in the family. That's what I have done to several past cars, after a fairly long life-time. My son got two of them, and his kids will be car driving age before too long.

20. Ginginova

Ginginova Active Member

I also opted for an early reduction gear oil change today at my regular 45 k km service.
    I was charged approx 50 EUR including VAT for both oil and work for that part. So basically peanuts from cost perspective.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  21. Rudy Melgar

Rudy Melgar New Member

I received my oil (Red Line MTLV 70W75 GL-4 ) last week and my magnetic oil pan plug came in today. From China courtesy of Amazon.
    20220115_200154.jpg 20220115_200149.jpg 20220115_200133.jpg
    Got say the is really strong able to pickup my heavy set of keys.

Hopefully I'll be doing oil change next week as I was infected with Covid .. monoclonal antibodies are amazing cleared my worse sore throat in my life in matter of hours, doing great now but still taking it easy

navguy12, OzKona and KiwiME like this.
  22. I'm very reluctant to risk detering your enthusiasm, especially given your hopefully-short illness, but I'd suggest a little bit of caution with the aluminium drain plug you've purchased as I think none of us have any prior experience with this type in the Kona.

The quality appears good enough but there's always a risk with the differing thermal expansion coefficients of aluminium and the rare-earth magnet, presumably similar to steel. The glue holding the magnet in place will be some sort of 2-part epoxy like JB Weld, and hopefully flexible enough to retain the magnet despite the microscopic cycling of the dimensional clearance that will inevitably take place.

Certainly it's minimal compared with the engine sump application these are normally designed for, as the gear reducer typically runs about 20°C over ambient rather than the 100°C+ that engine oil may reach. However, the outcome in the event of a loose magnet in an engine application is far less worrying than in the gearbox application because the only magnetically-attractive items inside a gearbox are gears.

Dimensionally it looks fine and in reality the magnet will be held tight simply by the vacuum resisting it trying to leave the aluminum body. If it seems secure enough before installation it would pay to check it after a few months to be sure it's still happy. You could install it in the "fill" opening instead of the drain as it will be easier to inspect and will still be equally effective at catching ferrous debris.

upload_2022-1-17_14-17-18.png

23. Kona57

Kona57 New Member

A little late to the party but just to make sure I am getting the gist of the whole Kona EV gear oil debate-on my 2022 Kona EV US model, I should change my gear oil and replace with magnetic plug on or around 25k miles? Plus or minus a few 1000 miles. Si o no?