2022 Niro Ex Vs premium features? Or wait For 2023

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by ForceEdge, Jan 12, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ForceEdge

ForceEdge Member

So I think I’ve decided to go with the Niro mainly because it’s a bit bigger and has a heat pump. Was thinking on Ioniq 5, but I’ve been seeing terrible range tests on it.

So yea, I can’t seem to find a detailed list of the differences of what’s included with either model

I know the 2022 EX now comes with the 10.2 inch screen and Better speaker system standard (correct me if I’m wrong)

but what are really the main differences between the two?

Or should I wait for the new redesign for 2023. I’m really liking the way it looks

Anyway, any insight would be much appreciated

edited

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    Robert Bratton likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Danhen

Danhen Active Member

Sounds like you are not in the U.S. as LED headlights are not available here. Perhaps Canada? In any event I would think this info is available on Kia’s website for the country you are located in.

Also, others have said installing LED bulbs in a headlight fixture not designed for LED’s is significantly inferior to OEM LED’s. Not sure of the details but perhaps others can comment. A motivated dealer could probably change out the headlights for you, but I assume it would be expensive. Might also necessitate other hardware and software changes which some dealers might not want to get involved with. Perhaps a good place to start might be to ask the Service Manager at your dealer.

4. ForceEdge

ForceEdge Member

I actually am in the U.S. so maybe I was wrong about the LEDs. But I’ll try and take a look a bit further

Do you think I should wait for the 2023 redesign?

5. tr6tevens

tr6tevens New Member

As far as I know, no US version of the Niro EV has actual LED headlights. Both versions have LED daytime running lights, and Premium has LED interior and rear signal/brake/trail lights.

In addition to the sunroof, Premium has ventilated front seats and rear parking distance warning. Everything else seems to be trim bits (driver behind-seat pocket, cargo cover, teal trim.
    https://www.kia.com/us/en/niro-ev/specs-compare

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

6. Danhen

Danhen Active Member

I have yet to see any details on the ‘23 model.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ForceEdge

ForceEdge Member

9. What are thoughts on the Niro vs. the EV6? I can't see why I would not just get an EV6

10. cwerdna

cwerdna New Member

Unfortunately, I can't really provide any but it's not clear it's shipping yet in the US given what I see currently at https://www.kia.com/us/en/ev6.

My Bolt is being bought back by GM and I've told them I've aiming to have that done by 1/28/22 when my CA tags expire. At that point, I will have no car in my household of 1 and public transportation sucks in my area.

I doubt there will be a ton of supply of EV6 at the beginning and given the marking up of all cars now, I'm guessing there will be big markups on EV6 for awhile...

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. Texas Niro EV

Texas Niro EV Active Member

The Niro EVs, even the used models are still very popular. You can’t hardly find a Niro EV on Auto Trader and the used Niro EV prices are through the roof. The used Niro EV prices are so high that you are better off buying a new one and taking the federal tax credit.

Given the specs and the reliability of the Niro EV, it’s not surprising. With standard smart cruise, 239 miles of rated range and 0 to 60 mph in less than seven second, the Niro EV easy competes with many of the more recent entrants into the EV market. And I wouldn’t expect any major upgrades to the Niro line, ever.

Current EV production from Kia is focused on dedicated EV platforms like the one on the EV6. If the Niro badge is resurrected after the current design runs its course, it will probably be on a dedicated EV platform. The Niro line successfully met need for a multi-drive system platform (HEV, PHEV & BEV) but that need is quickly moving into posterity.

Just a word about the LED headlight comments, the Launch Edition option included LED headlights. So if you really want LED headlights on your Niro EV all have to do is figure out what the part numbers are associated with the Launch Edition option and order the LED headlights. The headlight assembly of the Launch Edition is different so you would probably have to order the whole assembles, not just the bulbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

13. tr6tevens

tr6tevens New Member

Not only that, but also the crash pad button cluster that includes LED headlight leveling control (good opportunity to get the version with VESS button). Wouldn't surprise me if some level of computer coding is needed as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Danhen likes this.
  14. Brian_S

Brian_S New Member

I went with a 2022 Niro EV EX. The 4k diff in price for the Premium didn't seem worth it. And with the current incentives here in SE Michigan I am getting a nice lease deal.

cwerdna and Crash like this.
  15. cwerdna

cwerdna New Member

Agreed. I too am leasing a '22 Niro EV EX but in CA. If one goes to near the bottom of https://www.kia.com/us/en/niro-ev, it lists what EX Premium has. I didn't care to pay extra for any of that. Some things I would like such as a 360 degree camera (Nissan calls theirs Around View Monitor and GM calls theirs Surround Vision)) aren't available on Niro EV at all, even as a option. I enjoyed Nissan AVM and later GM Surround Vision for over 8 years.

About the only thing I kinda wanted was the heat pump and heated steering wheel but I balked at the $1100 price tag (not standard on either trim).

16. Brian_S

Brian_S New Member

Here in MI the cold weather package is pretty much a defacto standard.