Rodents in the car

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Mruhland, Jan 3, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Mruhland

Mruhland New Member

Has anyone had any issues of getting rodents in the car itself? At first I thought it piggybacked a box I put in, but has gotten in since then. Has done some nice damage on my rear seats. Any ideas on how to get rid of them? I can park outside but beed to park in garage to charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. duende

duende New Member

A few years ago, we had mice in my wife's KIA that kept coming back even though we trapped them again and again (max. was something like 7 in 24h!). We were about to sell/junk the car. Came across the wire-mesh solution (different web-site) and had our dealer install it. Presto no more mice! And it didn't take all that long for the pong to dissipate.

4. "Pong"? I learned something today! :)

5. BernieNS

BernieNS New Member

"Bounce" sheets work well to keep the mice away, if you're going to leave your car for some time. They do "pong" a little, but much better than mouse-pee-pong :)

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Mruhland

Mruhland New Member

Thanks. I’ll call the dealership about installing wire mesh. Also will add some major sonic deterrent. My neighbour tried cloves and bayleaves which helped his rodent problems. In the meantime I’ll park outside the garage unless charging and leave lights on when doing so.

8. duende

duende New Member

"Pong"? I learned something today! :)

So I guess that dates me (I learned the expression in school in Ireland almost 60 years ago :()

9. Me too. Learned it from my English Dad as a kid in the 50's.

10. My dictionary says it's a Britishism. I guess it just didn't take hold in Canada quite as strongly as so many others have.

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. NRH

NRH Active Member

My mom just had a 1-year-old Lexus totalled as a result of rodent damage. Never had this issue myself, fortunately, but I've heard of bounce sheets as a deterrent.

13. My Kona sits outside and the issue worries me a bit. I've read that peppermint oil annoys them but haven't tried it yet.
    Here's a rat lifting a freezer in the neighbor's driveway that we share.

RattusMamacita.PNG

OzKona likes this.