No more lifetime EV battery warranty for 2020 Kona Electric??

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Nov 6, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. According the Hyundai national customer service, the 2019 Kona battery pack warranty is 3-years and unlimited mileage, whichever comes first. It's not a lifetime warranty or lifetime unlimited mileage.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Stressing that this is global forum, Hyundai importers can play whatever hand that they think they can get away with in their respective markets. Here in NZ they changed it from 10 years unlimited kms to currently 8 years 160,000 kms. But our bumper to bumper and mechanical warranties are only 3 years total so I'm past those at only 20,000 kms. It's a relief to be honest, I now feel that I own the car.
    In the end the battery replacements some of us are subject to have been down to LG Energy and Hyundai's defects rather than the owners usage.

apu likes this.
  4. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

This whole VESS idea is a ridiculous attempt by politicians taking Big Oil money to make EV's less attractive. "Silent Menace" my foot, at my age even with hearing aids every modern gas car in the parking lot is a "silent menace". Know what I do? I look out for cars. It's a parking lot, there's cars there. And "visually impaired" people who can't see a freaking car aren't just sight challenged, they have a cane or a guide dog or most likely a sighted human companion because they're completely blind. When's the last time anybody on this or any other forum actually saw an unaccompanied blind person wandering around Walmart or Home Depot parking lots?
    So yes, I unplugged my VESS, when I turn the car in I'll plug it back. It's useless anyway, nobody knows what that noise is, they don't look around for it, they look UP. And as far as liability goes, as a driver of any car I know I'm legally responsible for avoiding pedestrians so in my 55 years of driving managed to do just that. I personally know just one person who was struck in a cross walk, it was by a noisy Mustang GT and the driver was texting. Maybe adding a VESS would have helped.
    Sorry for vent - just a pet peeve of mine (and I think most everyone here).

5. I detest the fact that as a driver I will likely shoulder much of the responsibility for hitting a dopey pedestrian who's isolated itself from the environment with loud music in ear buds and hunched over with eyes glued to some pathetic crap on a small screen, who then steps out in front of me. They're as bad as the texting motorist.

I feel that if it is discovered after a pedestrian accident that I have disabled the VESS, that will be used to ensure that it was all my fault, whether or not the VESS was audible to said idiot.

To get back on topic - I can hardly hear the VESS in my car with windows up so it doesn't annoy me.

Ginginova likes this.
  6. Ginginova

Ginginova Active Member

In Slovenia Konas up to 2019 model year (which is approximate the same as manufacturing year) had 8 year 200,000 km battery warranty. For 2020 and later it was decreased to 160,000 km but duration is still 8 years.
    Most of the rest of the car with few exceptions (like 2 year warranty for 12V lead acid battery and 3 year warranty for infotainment) has 5 years unlimited mileage warranty.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Plenty of gasoline powered cars run long after the warranty ends.

While battery degradation *might* be a concern, over a decade of heavy use, outright failures either happen early or not at all.

More likely causes of powertrain failure are covered by your autoinsurance, under road hazard and collisions.

9. In Canada (for the 2019 at least) the so called "battery warrantee" actually covers the entire EV drivetrain.

10. Yes, which is why I went with the Kona even though it was a brand new unproven BEV model. I was less concerned about the rest of the components which are similar to their ICE vehicles. Here is the actual wording from my warranty.
    EV System
    HYUNDAI AUTO CANADA CORP. EV System Warranty covers the described components up to a total of 96 months from the warranty registration date, or 160,000 KM, whichever occurs first.

WHAT IS COVERED
    The following original EV system components which are found to be defective in material and/or workmanship under normal use and maintenance will be covered during the "Warranty Period" described above:
    Motor, Inverter unit, VCM, Reduction gear, DC/DC converter, Onboard charger, Onboard charger connector, Trickle charge cable, In Cable Control Box, High Voltage Battery.
    Coverage
    96 Months / 160,000 KM

11. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

No the traction battery has an unlimited lifetime warranty for the original owner of the 2019 Kona EV in the USA. Otherwise it's 10 years or 100,000 miles.

See the owners manual.

https://owners.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/resources/manuals-warranties.html

The 12 volt battery has a 3 year or 36,000 mile warranty.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    NRH likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.