Kona EV range at cold temperatures (100% SOC range 228 km at -22°C)

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by George Davidson, Dec 5, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. George, you may be overstating the effect of the windchill factor on your car, because windchill refers to the temperature the human body feels it is exposed to - i.e. it is a measure of the rate of cooling. It will have some effect on the car, depending how quickly heat passes from the interior to the exterior skin, and will be different whether you are in a headwind or tailwind, but unless you are driving a convertible it's not likely to be a large effect. I'm not at all saying you're not getting cold, just it's not so much due to windchill. (I'm used to wind-chill - lived in Montreal for many years)
    Happy New Year to all when it comes.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. George Davidson

George Davidson Active Member

The windchill was calculated using https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/html/windchillbody_txt.html.

Taking into account the camper vans use insulating window covers while standing, there must be a considerable thermal loss through the car front windshield.

Not sure about your New Zealand, but here in Canada the old houses still have got two single-glazed windows (two separately handled single panes with an air gap of some 15 cm in between). There are lots of such houses in rural areas. The people here are not rich as I found out though it is a G7 country.

With the current temperatures (-42C, windchill -50C), the outer single panes of the house are completely covered with frost (you cannot see through them), and the inner single panes start building up frost from the bottom though the house is heated by the natural gas furnace with the thermostat set for the inside temperature to be at +20C. Some windows are better and some are worse.

Now let us imagine that house moving at the highway speed of 110km/hr. I agree that is not possible but for the sake of this "experiment", it is not that difficult to assume that the frost will start building up more.

The humidity inside the house can vary for sure and if high it would affect the build-up considerably. Depending on the type of natural gas furnace, most of the new houses have got central humidifiers integrated. Usual indoor humidity might be around 50%. If the house is 101 yrs old and the furnace was installed in the early 1950s then there is no humidifier. But the house from 1920 is solid wood.

I have not measured humidity inside of a car but it will not be much higher than in the houses. But I will measure the humidity inside the car in case somebody would like to know and would like to argue. The only source of humidity in the car is people breathing. I can assure you the humidity is not from sweating. You do not sweat when you are cold. And the outside air at -40C is really, really dry. The "recirculate" mode is never used on highways in winter.

The front windshield shields passengers from the wind but not from thermal loss. I have never seen somebody in Alberta driving a car at 110km/hr on a highway with an open window at -40C sticking their hands outside. Not for a second. Everybody can imagine what it would do to their skin. It is done here only in summer when the outside temp is +30C. Some people here may be Canucks but even those Canucks are not primitives or savages. Some Canucks can freak me out. Like today. Not that it matters, but some of us, non-Canucks, may have two or three degrees, immigrated here recently, and are even able to read, write, etc. though English is not our first language. We are even able to save the lives of the local Canucks who get to ICU. And if a New Zealander comes we will happily put him on a ventilator as well.

Let us cut it short.

I think the car moving through the still -40C outside air at 110km/hr experiences a huge thermal loss on the front windshield as well as the side windows. That thermal loss needs to be countered by a powerful airflow heated at +27C.

The end.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
  4. Does your OAT display in your car show a lower temp at speed than when at rest? Not looking for an argument, just curious from one who lives in a very mild climate.

I don't live in those cold temps, but I did experience them in Saskatoon one winter when visiting in-laws for a white Christmas. -40, wind chill to -70. Loaner car was parked outside with a block heater but the tyres got frozen flat spots. We drove off feeling like Pepe Le Pew until they warmed up and got round again.:D

R P and navguy12 like this.
  5. George Davidson

I think it may show a degree, perhaps two degrees less (lower) when driving.

Today I went shopping (some 50km trip, about 25 km one way). The car is parked in a tent garage and the temperature if I remember correctly was -28C. After a km or two, it was -29C. When I arrived at the destination it was -30C.

This is a rural area. It is colder than in Edmonton.

When driving to Edmonton, once in the city, the temperature goes up. I would say by 4-5 degrees.

6. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Perhaps it helps to think of windchill as helping the transfer *rate* of heat from/to a surface. This is why
    radiators have fans.

I haven't experienced anything like your Northern Wilderness conditions, but experimentation with temps
    around freezing have brought one conclusion that lap blankets really help too. With that on top of my
    legs and the seat heater going underneath, that makes for a pretty cozy setup for a long leg of a trip
    without needing any cabin heat. I run absolutely minimal ventilation, preferring to open a couple of
    windows slightly once in a while to remove any fogging if I had them closed in the first place.

_H*

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I grew up in Manitoba as a kid, and yeah, remember very well the crazy low temps, -40C and worse at times. And I remember also that cars would often have cardboard placed in front of the rad to help the engines warm up in winter. That would take out some of the "windchill". Maybe that could help with the Kona, too, in really cold weather?

9. George Davidson

I started writing the following "The EV "electric" engine does not need that kind of protection. There is no grill, no rad. ... It is the battery that worries me. ...
    The battery is protected by the BMS (Battery Management System). ... Perhaps you may know all that and I do not want to sound to you as some others sounded to me. ... "

Then I noticed you have got the same Kona 2019 Ultimate.

Ours is white. We got it in Feb 2019.

Upon the basis, of what I experienced, others may have their opinions, beliefs, experiences, though I like the idea of EVs very, very much, I started providing people if they ask me as you did now with the information that potentially can discourage them from buying EVs with the current battery technology.

If a friend asks should I tell him only the good and not the bad? Should I risk him later coming back and complaining about something I already knew?

Let us be excited about something but let us try to be objective.

Simply put, for the location where I live (several months with -20 or below) and for the needs of my family, an EV with the current battery technology may not be the best option. It is difficult for me to admit it but we are getting to that point.

We moved out of Edmonton as it has been becoming insanely expensive for our class. For immigrants. To buy a house there. We wanted to be green and we wanted to save on fuel. I was willing to wait six months for our Kona EV. Renting month by month different ICE makes and models. We did not have a car before in Canada. I did not need a driving license. I was commuting on an electric bicycle (30 km or more daily) and I loved it. So the idea of an EV was a natural next step as it is difficult to commute 90 km one way on an electric bicycle.

This is like a story so I should cut it short.

The Kona's officially claimed 415 km range drops to some 50% at very low temps. From my experience. 200 km at 100% charge. Others on this forum may strongly disagree with the number and that is fine. As it is not recommended to use 0-20% and 80-100% range too frequently, we are left with 60% (between 20 and 80%). 60% out of the 200 km is 120 km.

Our commute is 90 km. When in ICU the car is charged from 110V at these temps in order to be able to get home. Or charged from fast charger at the Londonderry Mall, which kind of sucks because sleep between several 12 hrs night shift is better in a bed than in a car.

There is more to it but I will stop here.

If you want to know more we can go on. I do not mind the time.

10. George Davidson

We got our Kona EV Ultimate in mid-Feb 2019.

Dec, Jan, Feb are the coldest. Saying it is constantly -20C or lower or much lower may not be an overstatement.

The first three weeks we were traveling geared up (snow pants, hats, mittens).

Then it paid off.

A guy in the right lane, at the overpass second merge to Hwy-16, lost control and went perpendicularly to our left lane with us driving at 100 km/hr. Popped up some 20 - 30 m in front of us. Kona has got something like "front collision detection with collision avoidance". It might have worked a little. It might have not. The main thing was me turning left to the median strip. Going through all the snow stopped the car. Luckily in between the light posts in the median. The other guy's car still scratched/cut the right side of our Kona all along. Some $17,000. If not in median then perhaps killing the other guy as we were aiming the driver's seat. Us in airbags. Possibly other cars behind us hitting us. It was just before entering Edmonton so the traffic was dense. It was a young guy. Just over twenty. I would not like to deal with the feeling of having killed somebody and passing that place twice a day.

It may be a story but that is not the main thing I wanted to say.

The main thing was us being dressed up for -20C or lower. We did not get cold while waiting.

In the end, the police took us to the dealership. I still remember the dealership guys' faces seeing us getting out of the police car.

You never know what can happen. It happened only three weeks after we got a brand new Kona EV.

We are trying to be bundled. To be ready. Sleeping bags and so on.

One more thing, related to the story. It was the first time I used the red SOS button to call for help. It worked.

The downside was that when using the other button, let me call it the "towing" button Hyundai refused to send a towing truck as I needed a police case number first. I did not like it.

I have not been using the towing button since then. We arranged annual AMA / Canadian Tire assistance. They do not ask for police case numbers.

navguy12 likes this.
  11. Like I said, I'm from Manitoba, so I know what real cold is like. But that was long before EVs. We are just trying to help, and I realize some of the direct comments coming across on the internet might sound insulting, but not meant to. So please try not to take offence.

My Kona does have a rad, but not sure if one can even access the front of it, to block it off with a piece of cardboard, or whether it would do any good. Might already have shutters there that do it for us. But just trying to suggest things to look at, just in case.

As an aside, my son and his family drove up with his Tesla M3 to Silverstar (Vernon) for some skiing last week. Just his luck they picked the coldest days of the year. Temps went down -29C while they were there. Anyway, driving on the way going up the mountains, once the car temp hit lower than -20C, the resistance cabin heater shut down, and they were freezing inside the car. He said they had to keep scraping the windows inside just to see so he could drive. And in summer, he also happened to drive to Oliver in the high heat, over 40C going up the mountains, and the car shut down the air conditioning, so they were sweating their butts off. So I guess that is what Tesla does during extremes of heat and cold.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. George Davidson

A pleasure to have a conversation at this level. Sometimes it is coming with age.

Anything sensible and making sense is welcome.

I do not follow much Tesla. Just as any other EV. It was not for our pockets in 2018. It may be an excellent car in some respect but was not sure about the quality and the Tesla guys' willingness to discuss things openly. They definitely learn quickly how to make cars, software-wise they may not have much competition, their casting machines wow, and so on.

Hearing about the heating/air conditioning issues with such openness is nice. For me, that would be one of the main reasons why not buy Tesla. And perhaps somebody else, an EV novice, may find it useful as well. That is one reason I am here. Not buying Tesla does not mean I am against Tesla. It is just a consumer choice. I should have done my homework better in 2018 before signing a $66,000 financing contract for Kona EV. I was excited, not much information was available. We did it.

After 146,000 km in two years (nearly one year our Kona EV was waiting for spare parts or spare battery bricked at some parking lots) the most important factor of all for me is the range in winter and infrequent towing. We have got an old house, Kona is damn small and I cannot fit 8 - 10 feet 6 x 6 wood pillars inside. A small utility trailer comes in handy. Side note - we do not get a useable 100 km range when towing. When towing, we need to charge fully at the Londonderry Mall to make 90 km home. Fortunately, it is just several times a year.

When possible I am trying to catch with the development.

There is not much to choose from currently. You read about Lucid Air (800 km or so), at USD170,000 is a no-no. Cybetruck trimotor (800 km or so) maybe. NIO with a 150 kWh swappable battery looks interesting.

But in the end, I usually get to a conclusion I would not repeat as all those cars are still based on the current battery technology which I think is not suitable for cold temperatures. NIO promises a semi-solid-state battery and it will have to be seen. In any case, I would not buy anything which has not been on the market for several years and all the major issues have been resolved.

I will be waiting for the 100% solid-state battery with the 1000 km range. Those 1000 km would translate to some 400 - 500 km in winter. When towing the range loss is about 60% as mentioned in the recent article about Rivian truck. And when towing in winter I do not know what to say. I will make it up. That 1000 km might shrink to 200 km. It may bring unwelcome comments on this forum but be it. No more EVs till then. It does not make sense to make compromises for me as tough and weird it may sound.

Before any future EV I will install a 5 or 10 kW natural gas CHP appliance producing both heat and electricity. The electricity should be around 3 - 6 cents / kWh. Currently, we pay in this rural area serviced by ATCO over 20 cents per kWh for our overnight charging. We charge every night pretty much. In summer to 80%. When it gets cold to 90%. And when needed to 100%. Our monthly electricity bills may get to $400 ouf of which only $120 is electricity (kWhs) and the remaining $280 are various fees (distribution, transmission....). I am not buying it. We are running our natural gas furnace 6 - 8 months a year so why not kill two birds with one CHP.

There is so much that could be said not in favor of the current battery technology. It is not meant in a negative sense.

Kona's battery is some 500kg, approximately one-third of the total weight. Let us talk ambulances. The weight can be between 4 and 6 tons. That would mean a 1 - 1.5 ton battery. Not feasible with the current technology. You need a life support tech in an ambulance, not a monster battery. I can be wrong but I cannot imagine all-electric ambulances in Edmonton in five years. Maybe in ten years.

Sometimes, the whole EV thing seems to me as if we, consumers, are the lab mice on which new technology is tested.

Why not on ambulances first? Lots of people would die in winter because the ambulance "would not make it because of the range, was not available because it was charging several hours, etc.." but it could bring the current battery technology issues to the public awareness. This paragraph is extreme but people may get the point when presented with such a scenario.

Happy New Year.

14. navguy12

navguy12 Well-Known Member

Interesting data point.

What year is your son’s TM3?

I have an early build (May 2018) without any heat pumps, etc.

The coldest “sustained” trip I have had in that car was an indicated -29C and, observing a digital thermometer I installed back in 2018 (with the sensor exposed to the floor vent air), the temperature at the vent was 71C.

15. My son got one of the very first M3s produced, a long range RWD. He had his pre-order in just as soon as they opened. He has about 160,000 kms on it now. Has had pretty well every issue known to that car, most in the first year. But even now, he is living with several issues, his glass roof is cracked. His charge port can only be opened manually. His rear trunk door doesn't close properly. Headliner keeps falling off (keeps regluing it). He is taking it in for service in a couple weeks, to get some stuff fixed, not sure exactly what. But he is trying to minimize how much money he spends on it at this time.

One thing that still works well, is the drive train and battery. No issues with that (opposite of our Konas).

navguy12 likes this.
  16. navguy12

Thanks for the info, sorry to hear he has these issues.

I’m going to start a thread on one of my Tesla forums to see if there are many folks with HVAC issues with temps above 40C or below -20C while in mountain terrain.

I only have 70k on mine, so who knows what’s in store for my early build (VIN less than 25,000).

In fact, the only real issue I have with mine is the continuing software updates that alter the functionality of the user interface (the sole reason my wife opted for the Kona versus a Tesla product).

Cheers and all the best in 2022.

17. navguy12

@R P here is a link to the thread I started (on one of the Tesla forums) describing your son’s HVAC performance in extreme temperature conditions.

I suspect there is an issue unique to his current HVAC state of repair as your description doesn’t sound like it is operating in accordance with manufacturer specifications:

https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/any-hvac-issues-above-40c-or-below-30c-especially-in-mountain-terrain.19993/#post-328682

18. He is taking it in for service in a couple of weeks and will mention it. I did google it also after your post and did find lots of threads and articles about heating/cooling issues. As it happens, we were together last night for NYE, and I asked him again about it. He said there was some heat coming in, but not enough to keep the cabin warm and windows inside defrosted. As soon as he got to temps below -20C, it was good again, so that seemed to be the threshold for him. He also said it was fine going downhill or on the flats, but not going up the mtn at speeds. There were 4 of them inside and full baggage, plus Thule box on top full of skis and stuff. So maybe the load, plus going uphill was too much power draw for the cold battery. Don't know, just my speculation.

He also said that he got less than 50% of normal range on this trip, which probably makes sense given the cold, etc.

navguy12 likes this.
  19. I should mention, too, that his car does not have a heat pump. Not sure when they started putting those in.

navguy12 likes this.
  20. navguy12

If he is able to note the date/time it took/takes place, that really helps the techs narrow their search of the data logs to see what is causing the resistance heater to trip off when it is that cold.

21. navguy12

Q4 2020.

22. I will mention that to him.

navguy12 likes this.
  23. I will concur that you are spot on with your observations. Kona will loose 50% of it battery capacity in temperatures colder than -30C. I had a 240km trip at -34C before any wind chill yesterday and it took 100% of the battery capacity with me driving almost 1/3 of the way with the climate control off so I could make it. I was dressed up in my Expedition Canada Goose parka with seat warmer and steering wheel heat on but it still was an unpleasant trip.

George Davidson likes this.