Android Auto

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by Stephen K, Dec 20, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Stephen K

Stephen K New Member

Whose navigation system does Ioniq use? How often is it updated and is there a monthly cost? I currently use Android Auto. Can I use this in the Limited model and still get the heads-up display or must I use the Ioniq navigation system. I assume the same is true for Car Play.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. EnerG

EnerG Active Member

I am not going to say I know this 100% but the Kona must be very similar. All of the I5s do support Android Auto (AA) and there is no cost because the data used is part of your own cell plan.

As for the Heads Up Display (HUD), the Kona's HUD display functions normally when using AA. Setting a destination in Google Maps or Waze does not show up on the HUD, but setting a destination on the Kona's nav first, then load AA and set a destination in Waze, I get Huyndai's directions shown on the HUD as well as the Waze's on the display. Under all conditions the Kona's HUD shows street sign indications for things like school zones and speed limits. This is very useful if you don't know what the limit is where you are and is independent from AA. As a side note, integration of the HUD and AA would be very cool as I prefer Waze and would like to see warnings for speed traps and accidents ahead.

Hyundai was talking about a subscription fees after 3 years for the Bluelink service, which is a different thing altogether. It provides Hyundai with telematics data and gives you the ability to remotely do a few things like open doors and set climate, charge rate limits or locate your car. The Konas come equipped with a 4G SIM card. In my opinion they should be paying you for your data, not you paying them. There was an interesting thread on the Kona forum about "Going Black" or removing the data connection to the Kona. I tried but could not find the link. I seem to recall it being someone in the NorthWest, possibly @Esprit1st as the instigator.

Does the I5 support wireless AA ? I do not know but once you've tried wireless AA you will not want to go back. Currently I use permanently plugged in cell phone just to run Waze on AA. Plugging and unplugging a phone for AA gets old fast and seems SO yesterday. I hope the higher trim models like the Ultimate support this feature as they do on similar newer Hyundais. Please chime in if you know of wireless AA support for any trim levels.

For the Kona, NAV updates come about 4 times per year and may include changes to the radio or entertainment system that may be good or bad. We have had a few ugly ones. Hyundai really is disadvantaged when it comes to software.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
    electriceddy likes this.
  4. EnerG likes this.
  5. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

The Ioniq 5 and the Kia ev6 do not support wireless AA or CarPlay. A real miss for Hyundai Motor Corp. You can still plug the phone in for AA though.

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Can I plug in a rear wiper, too? No? A bigger miss for Hyundai Motor Corp.

Sorry, I just can't stop complaining about that missing feature that all the competitors have.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

Yeah. I wonder how that will work, not very well I suspect. They are using a wind tunnel through the upper spoiler to supposedly create a wind to keep the window clean. It might work slightly for dirt and grime, as it will negate some of the back currents that tend to dirty rear windows, but I doubt it will keep it very clean. You wouldn't think a wiper would have had that much of an effect on aerodynamics, but that is apparently why they discontinued the wiper.

9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Was there a focus group that said, they preferred more range at 75 mph over being able to clear snow and road schmutz from the rear window as they're driving in slow city traffic or backing into a parking space? Maybe all the focus groups were held in parts of the country that don't experience road schmutz.

I apologize for hijacking this thread to complain yet again about the lack of a rear wiper.

10. EnerG

EnerG Active Member

The Ultimates Bose system should have wireless AA. This is the case with other Hyundai models, where the recent top models do support it. But yes if they do not come with it it is a miss for such a tech forward car.