2,000 miles, trip with new Pirelli tires

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by DaleL, Dec 14, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. DaleL

DaleL Active Member

I just got back from driving to Ohio and back from Florida. I got Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus II tires just before the trip. The tires are great!!! Especially yesterday going through Jacksonville, FL in rush hour traffic. They really improve the driving dynamics of my Clarity. The car felt glued to the road. The other note from the trip is that cold weather kills the efficiency as the resistance heater sucks electricity. Still, I love my 2018 Clarity (41,550 miles).

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. rodeknyt

rodeknyt Active Member

Have you had the car long enough to tell whether the new tires had any negative effect on the EV range?

4. DaleL

DaleL Active Member

I've only had the tires for a week, although 4 of those 7 days were my drive to Ohio and back. On my trip to Ohio, in which the mpg in HV mode as measured by actual mileage and gasoline use and was not much affected by using the heater, I got on each tank of gasoline 38.8 mpg, 39.5 mpg, 40.8 mpg, and 42.3 mpg. On the drive back from the Ohio border to Wytheville, VA the temperature in the twenties most of the way and there was a significant increase in elevation. I got only 32.1 mpg. The next two fill ups resulted in 41.3 mpg and 41.0 mpg. All my driving was as much as possible about 5 miles an hour over the posted speed limit. Compared with my previous drives to Ohio on the OEM Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires, both made during warm weather, the mpg was either the same or only very slightly less.

As to EV only range, I haven't had them long enough to make a definitive determination. In the 3.5 years that I have owned my Clarity, it has lost about 10 to 15% of its original EV range. After I got the new tires last week and before my trip, I had the alignment checked, corrected (minor out of alignment) and the brake fluid changed.

Based on my two previous long drives to Ohio and back, I believe that the new tires provide at least 95% of the same mpg as the OEM Michelins. Thus in a situation in which I would get 50 miles on a charge, I expect between 47 and 50 miles with the new tires. Today I only got 42 miles, but I drove through rain going south and then on the way home north on A1A I was driving into a steady 7 to 10 mph headwind.

neal adkins likes this.
  5. neal adkins

neal adkins Active Member

Wow...my Clarity displayed almost the same milage today. I'm also soon getting new tires.

Attached Files:

DaleL likes this.
  6. LAF

LAF Active Member

Just beware, consumer reports says they are poor on ice so maybe great for the south, not so much the north.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. LAF

LAF Active Member

9. LAF

LAF Active Member

I chose Continental PureContact LS tires that were rated very good on ice and rolling resistance. They are much smoother, quieter, and better handling than originals. Only 10% loss of EV. Great choice for cold weather owners

10. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

I just put the same Continentals on mine a month or two ago, mostly for better snow and rain traction based on Tire Rack reviews. Good price point, cheapest purchase/install price I could find on them was from my Honda dealer, plus got $70 rebate from Continental website after. They seem fine. Weather has been mild so not really tested in nasty stuff yet. And I track nothing, so I have no idea on mileage or range impact. So my input here is fairly useless lol…but I’m at peace with that. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

11. FYI we’ve had the Pirellis for a couple months now and have a 10-15% loss of range. We do mostly city driving on terrible Portland roads. We have no qualms though - these tires are amazing. Much smoother ride and a big drop in road noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

DaleL likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. As an update, we put these $100 Pirelli’s on our 2018 at about 42,000 miles:

[​IMG]

I was told here that these were a sub-par offering. Right now have about 20,000 miles on them. Hard to judge exactly, but they seem to be wearing as well as the original tires, with no significant changes in mileage, handling or noise.

As an aside, my loss of EV miles is pretty consistent with Douglas Firs. First winter the EV miles rarely dropped into the high 30’s. This winter it’s been a struggle to stay around 35 miles, even in “Super-Geriatric” mode!

14. Casey Martin

Casey Martin Active Member

I have the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus II on my stock rims as well. They are excellent tires! I have used them on several cars in the past and they have always performed extremely well. I didn't notice an obvious difference in MPG compared to the stock tires. If it has reduced it some it is not much. With that said the improvements over the stock energy efficient Michelins in terms of overall driving is worth the trade off. I understand the OEM tires are meant to be as efficient as possible but they handle so poorly. I hated the stock Michelins and couldn't wait to replace them.

I have Honda HR-V rims with Blizzak snow tires for the winter so I am not concerned about the Cinturato's performance for winter driving.

DaleL likes this.
  15. neal adkins

neal adkins Active Member

I have used pirelli before and liked them. On my clarity i went with BF Goodrich advantage. A little pricey at around 735 installed I went one size taller (tire height) and car handles fine. I drive in mountains sometimes and the it handles good in the curves. Tires ride beautiful.