EV Insurance

Discussion in 'General' started by Almost Green, Dec 23, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Hello All,
    Newbie here that is considering going EV in 2022. One of many questions I will have on this journey is, are the insurance companies up charging over ICE car ? Any trouble getting coverage from any of the companies ?
    Thanks

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Frank K

Frank K Member

Some companies (like The Hartford, AARP) will not insure Teslas, and some will be very expensive. But if you shop around you can get good insurance at a reasonable price. I cannot confirm recently published horror stories of $2000 - $3000 per year for a Model 3.

4. arhnold

arhnold New Member

I'm with USAA. When I switched from my Mazda CX-5 to a Kona EV, the insurance only went up about $20/6 months. Surprised it was so little (9 yr old car to brand new EV)

5. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

I'm with State Farm and their rates on my Kona Electric are quite reasonable, though slightly higher than for the gas version (not unreasonable, given the car's higher replacement cost). On a related note, if you need roadside assistance/towing, Better World Club offers EV discounts and is generally less awful than AAA.

6. Kona57

Kona57 New Member

I have Wawanesa and mine went down after I sold my Porsche Macan and bought a 2022 Kona EV.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Total replacement costs weigh heavily on actuarial tables.

If the totalled value of a vehicle far exceeds repairs for bodywork and consumables (like airbags) the premium goes up accordingly.