Battery Recall for Canadian Kona Owners

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by mcsquared, May 31, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Well, it's finally done! Got the call from the dealer on Tuesday my battery was in and got it swapped out today. It took less than 4 hours to do. They said the longest part of the process is circulating the new coolant for 1.5 hrs.
    I did query the dealer about the $5/day with a photocopy of the hyundai service bulletin in hand. They already knew about it. They put in the paperwork for this when they submit the battery completed warranty paperwork. Said should be 4-6 wks. Don't forget though that this is Hyundai time so could be months. We're still waiting for the $250.
    Hey, but like Wildeyed said, this is $850 dollar day so woohoo!

navguy12 likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. CBlue

CBlue New Member

Re: 2019 Kona battery replacement
    Originally scheduled for Friday, Oct 15, but the battery never arrived, likely due to transport problems. Kamloops Hyundai then waited until the battery arrived before calling Friday, Oct 29 to arrange replacement Monday, Nov. 1, 2021. The work took about 2.5 hrs. They were not aware of the $5/day compensation, but did submit our claim after we informed them about it, so we await .

Thanks to Wildeyed for the post (#401) on page 21 of the forum Battery Recall for Canadian Kona Owners regarding the $5/day Hyundai Service Bulletin.

navguy12 likes this.
  4. I haven’t been that impressed (read: not at all) with the degree to which the Kamloops dealership (specifically the service dept) responds to these types of ‘information requests’. They’ve repeatedly passed the buck and referred me to their head office.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. CBlue

CBlue New Member

I agree with your impression of the dealership prior to this. The one positive being the actual replacement which was to take 5.5 hrs and only took 2.5 and the service manager immediately submitted our claim after showing her the bulletin.

6. Had my tires swapped today so spoke to my dealer. I was correct in my assumptions. Because my dealer did not have the battery lift, and because there was zero indication it would ever get it, the regional dealer rep referred me to a dealer that does have the equipment and can procure batteries. I am apparently now assigned a battery (whatever that means in practical terms). Somewhere down the line I will be getting a call.

I mentioned the $850 campaign to the Service Manager. He was totally unaware of it. I showed him the pdf on my phone (posted on this thread) and asked that he follow-up by filing the paperwork. On my drive home he called me to tell me that it was completed and I should be getting it in 6-8 weeks. It's worth asking.

navguy12 likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. There you go... soon your will car will be back to like new again. And you will be $850 richer.

Wildeyed likes this.
  9. Just a heads up ; we got out battery replaced over 2 months ago and after follow-ups with Hyundai Canada and our dealership for OVER 4 MONTHS, we just got the email notice yesterday for the 250$ gift card. Ironically enough, the 5$/day came only 3 weeks after the battery swap with only a few emails with Hyundai Canada and one request from the dealership, but the initial 250$ took like 13 emails,4-5 calls to the dealership ... And over 4 months since the initial request. So keep bugging them, you will get it... Eventually.

10. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

Sent my service guy the notice ref the $5 a day. He said he looked in their portal and he can't find it. Said he would email someone about it. What a sh*tshow.

11. AllGreen

AllGreen New Member

I had picked up my Kona Ultimate in January 2019. In March of this year (2021) it started in the garage, but would not go. I called Murray Hyundai and they had me call Hyundai Road Assist (which I did). It was put on a flatbed and taken to their shop. It had 42,000 km at the time.

The service manager called to report that it started fine for them and I could come and get it. They also took logs to send to Hyundai Tech for analysis.

Several weeks later and a few days after receiving the recall notice (mid-May) to change to 80%, the service manager called to have me bring in my Kona and they would give me a rental. They needed to keep my car until the battery arrived and was installed. They ended up having it for 70 days. When I got it back, it did feel like a new car :) Range even improved to well over 500 km.

Last week I received the original $250 card. I received another one today for exactly the same amount. At first I thought it must be a mistake as I had not heard anything about the additional $5/day inconvenience benefit. When I do the calculation, it was 50 days past June 1, 2021 when I got it back.

My wife (google expert) starting searching and found this forum.

Kudos to the great folks at Murray Hyundai for proactively submitting the details on my behalf and thank you everyone for posting your experiences!

navguy12 and Wildeyed like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. FishOn

FishOn New Member

I'm currently on the wait list at Murray Hyundai for a battery replacement. I called a couple of weeks ago to inquire where I was on the list. I asked about the $250 rebate and the person I spoke to had no clue and was going to investigate. Still waiting for a call back about both question. Who was your contact in service?

14. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

I had my battery replaced on sept.29, and still have not received either the $250 or any other gift card. I don't recommend Duncan Hyundai, and I am seriously thinking of reserving a Kia Ev6.

15. Does anyone know if the $850 is for people that purchased new only, or used as well? I purchased mine used but the recall wasn't done until after I took possession and I'm waiting on a replacement for my 2019 Kona Ultimate.

16. I don't see any reason why a used car (owner) would be excluded unless the previous owner received the benefit and the VIN is attached to that claim.

17. The dealership that sold me the car said they had the vehicle info switched over to me when they sent it off to the recall check, so they shouldn't have received the benefit.

I hadn't intended on buying this particular car - when I set up my insurance and looked up the VIN the week earlier the car wasn't on the list. Then I showed up to pick up my car and didn't realize until the next week that it wasn't the same VIN - they had sold me a different car with less mileage. The downside was it needed the new battery. On the plus side - I used the car I had intended on buying as a loaner while mine was at the dealership and the dash went blank on me for the drive in to work. Just a P on the dash even though the car was in motion. (Good thing the HUD was working).

18. You're the owner experiencing the inconvenience of the recall so you should be the claimant. BTW, that dashboard glitch is known and doesn't really recur for most users. Though it is disconcerting.

navguy12 likes this.
  19. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

@greentechnerd
    Christmas 2021, a dealer tells me they will get a battery in 2 months once a work order's done. Hyundai emailed to ask me where I want the replacement done in November. Waiting...

The communication,or updates related to the recalls remain scattered a year into the Hyundai recall.
    Thank goodness for the InsideEVs members;)

As an aside, ioniq5 may have a cold gate issue. Bjorn Nyland(YouTuber) tested an ioniq 5 AWD (heat pump)
    during the Norway winter on a 500km /1000km run. Its battery doesn't appear to warm up despite driving far enough , with a low enough SOC. Where it should handle over 200kW into 80-90% before throttling to benefit from its 350kW speed. Hope Hyundai has the ability to do an OTA to fix this,and it's not hardware. MachE is apparently getting an update for their premature throttling while while using dcfc or hpc. Met an owner who wasn't impressed with the charging curve issues.

Fun times in EV land.

electriceddy and navguy12 like this.
  20. I have a 2019 Kona Electric in BC. I too have been frustrated trying to get info on when my battery might get changed.
    The other day I looked up Hyundai recalls in Canada and inserted my VIN number and it found my info and stated that my car's battery was due to be changed "in March 2022". I could not get any info from my Hyundai dealer after asking multiple times.
    So try looking up your car's recalls. https://recall.hyundaicanada.com/

Wildeyed likes this.
  21. Try looking up your recall info. https://recall.hyundaicanada.com/
    insert your ZIN number and see if there is a date listed for your battery replacement.

22. It's not "in" it's "by" March. They're setting the deadline but might exceed it.

23. I agree. Personally my 2019 Kona drives perfectly and the fact that it is taking longer than expected to get in new batteries and change them in thousands of cars especially during this pandemic and shipping delays is not surprising. I'm sure they are doing the best they can. My new battery will be installed in about 2 months and I will have a brand new battery after already driving 25,000 km. I'm quite content but I realize that I'm someone who doesn't have to drive 400 Km on a charge.
    Sometimes there is nothing we can do. If we want to be happier try taking a deep breath and know that everything will be fine in the end.

lars2885 and navguy12 like this.