Perfect Red light Sleeper?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Smart Wannabe, Dec 10, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

I don't believe it does.

FWD has many disadvantages and not a lot of benefits in an EV and it seems like manufacturers are coming to the same conclusion with their new EV designs (Honda E, Tesla, VW ID3/ID4)
    • Turning radius: significantly better with RWD due to no front axles (see Honda E)
    • Driving dynamics/fun: better with RWD (weight balance, acceleration, response to power while cornering, no torque steer)
    • Tire wear: better with RWD (shared duty between front and rear tires)
    • Safety/slippery conditions: negligible difference with improved electric motor traction control
    • Cost/packaging: negligible difference with dedicated EV chassis and flexibility of small electric motors
    • Efficiency: negligible difference (unlike with ICE, drivetrain losses are the same)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Luis Hoffer

Luis Hoffer Member

Agree with all these points. The only dynamic advantage I could come up is during regenerative braking, braking is better applied to the front tires due to the laws of physics. The car applies more weight over the front tires during deceleration hence applying more braking force to the front tires.

I think the ID4 comes with drums in the rear due to the regenerative breaking being applied from the rear motor. I think that setup would have owners going through front brake pads faster than the Mini will.

4. Carsten Haase

In theory, yes regen in the front can be stronger but is it actually in practice? I don't think any EV has regen strong enough to come close to the limit of tire grip. It was a while ago but I remember the RWD Model 3 I test drove had similar regen strength to the MINI.

5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Not sure about the weight-balance point, with batteries basically comprising the "floor" of the vehicle the weight distribution is nothing like ICE vehicles. Sure there's slight imbalance caused by acceleration, but it's nothing like balancing against a heavy engine in the front.

6. Carsten Haase

That's true, I guess I was thinking more about the SE type layout with all the junk under the hood but that doesn't necessarily need to be the case.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

Since the SE is powered be an i3 motor in the front, could a 2nd i3 motor be located in the rear of an SE so all 4 wheels would be powered. Then fill up the backseat space with batteries, and voila a MINI SE GP. I want one!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Then, after beefing up the suspension and cooling system to accommodate the extra batteries and the second motor, installing wider rims and tires and adding fender flares to maintain the kartiness, you'll have a really quick 4,000-lb electric MINI Cooper Hardtop.

F14Scott likes this.
  10. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

Yeah, weight was why I'd settle for RWD. With the advanced traction control electric allows, I'm not sure AWD is necessary, anymore.

11. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

Did you take the seats out? I'm thinking about pulling mine out and making a flat panel like I did in my R53.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

LloydMats dot com makes a very nice cargo bay mat for the rear hatch area, and a matching mat for the back side of the folded down rear seats. It makes a very nice flat full-size hatch cargo area that is actually quite large. And, the rear seats are still retained if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

14. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I find the rear seats lay flat (must remove headrests) and I just put an EVA foam pad across the entire back for a level surface.

15. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

16. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

Oh right, I remember that.

17. Smart Wannabe

Smart Wannabe Member

yeah. of course i wanted a RWD car. But my mom like the MINI. which she now regrets as she finds it hard to get out of. haha.
    Anyway. smoked a MINI cooper at the light today. I didn’t know what that MINI driver was thinking trying to beat a SE to legal speed limit.

18. Smart Wannabe

Smart Wannabe Member

the first one look like a Mercedes A hatch. second looks like a Bolt. I am saving for a Taycan. But leaning towards waiting for better Porsche Tech one. If they have a porsche EV Boxter, i wonder if it’s insurance will be higher than Taycan.

19. NewGreen

NewGreen Member

With my new SE, I am always 2-3 minutes earlier to routine appointments than I used to be in an ICE car.

GDOG and polyphonic like this.
  20. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

My convertibles were always more expensive to insure, so I assume insuring the Boxster EV would be more expensive than the Taycan. However, a Boxster EV would be so much more fun than a Taycan that it would be worth the extra premiums. I can't wait to see if Porsche decides weight or range is more important with the Boxster EV. I'm so glad MINI prioritized weight.

polyphonic likes this.
  21. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

I would love to see a BRZ-E and a Miata-E too. Bring back the Mazda GLC but make it electric.

The goal should be fun cars that are under 3000 lbs and electric.

22. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

I agree. If the Boxster EV is not better in every way than the ICE (aside for sound and road trip ability), then IMO it will be a bit of a failure. 200 miles with super fast 800v charging should be plenty.

23. Smart Wannabe

Smart Wannabe Member

I definite need the range. one flaw with my SE is that i can’t be sure that it can go north to driving roads and back about 250km round trip in one go without recharge. i don’t want to get stranded.