electric parking brake problem

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by PapaWangsta, Dec 12, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. PapaWangsta

PapaWangsta Member

Screenshot_20211212-001802_HondaLink.jpg Very strange. Out of no where this error message popped up, "electric parking brake problem". But the electric parking brake works fine. Any suggestions what to do?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Do you also get this same warning on the dash?
    I am not a big fan of HondaLink and wondering if there is a bug there rather than in the vehicle.

If you do have the same warning on the dash, then you could go to the dealer and have them check for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC''s). If a DTC is present, it may shed more light on exactly what the problem is.

If you have no observable problem that you can relate to this, then it may be reasonable to wait for a while. Some trouble codes will clear themselves after a few drive cycles, and it could have been a transient issue. If it does persist, then checking for codes would seem warranted.

Car parts stores will also do a free check for codes too, but I am a little skeptical as to how comprehensive that check would be with a Clarity because of all the specialized EV electronics. If it were the standard emmissions-related codes, they can probably do OK, but I think the dealer has a better chance of properly diagnosing a Clarity.

PapaWangsta likes this.
  4. PapaWangsta

PapaWangsta Member

Very weird. I thought I saw the warning in the dash but not 100% sure. As of now I don't see this error on the dash except the darn Honda link. It's sad this car only has 7k miles on it.

5. MrFixit

Not to worry !!
    This sounds minor to me.
    We have many members in this forum, and from my perspective, the Clarity has a very good reliability record.

Silver Surfer and PapaWangsta like this.
  6. PapaWangsta

PapaWangsta Member

I wish Honda gave me the old school parking brake and call it the day. Definitely not worry much but it'll be a trip to the dealership it's a hassel. Thank God it's under warranty.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Groves Cooke

Groves Cooke Active Member

FWIW. The Clarity is the third vehicle I have had that has an electric parking brake. My 2015 Acura had one and my 2021 F150 has one, No longer have the Acura. No problems with the parking brake in any of the vehicles. A trip to the dealer may be an inconvenience, but is sometime necessary.

PapaWangsta likes this.
  9. It is interesting that they specify the electric parking brake. Is there a parking brake on the car that isn’t electric?

PapaWangsta likes this.
  10. Groves Cooke

Groves Cooke Active Member

No.

PapaWangsta likes this.
  11. PapaWangsta

PapaWangsta Member

Very strange. After power wash the car and the wheels. Now the, "electronic parking brake error" is gone in HondaLink. Should I take it to the dealer or leave it and see?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. MrFixit

It is likely that it had nothing to do with power washing, but rather a specific number of 'start' cycles. Some codes will clear themselves if the fault is not persistant.

If it were me, I would ignore this and see what happens. If it comes back, then think about going to the dealer.

If you go while the problem is not present, they will quite likely not find any codes and just shrug their shoulders at you.

PapaWangsta likes this.
  14. Does anyone else remember when these things were called “Emergency Brakes”?

In an emergency, I’d certainly prefer electronics and switches and logic modes not be involved. A pedal or lever going via cable to a brake mechanism of some sort would be my choice. K.I.S.S.

PapaWangsta likes this.
  15. MrFixit

Interesting point... Everything is going "fly by wire" any more.

PapaWangsta likes this.
  16. It could be why it’s now called a parking brake, since attempting to use it in an emergency may result in an undesirable outcome. The only options are “On” and “Off”. There’s no way for the driver to modulate the braking force.

Then there’s the brake pedal to consider.

PapaWangsta likes this.
  17. I guess. And our modern hydraulic brake circuits have a lot of redundancy built in. But any mechanical system can fail. Something actually breaking or jamming in the brake system is unlikely, but possible. More conceivable is something rolling forward and blocking the pedal’s movement. That’s why I think some sort of true “Emergency” brake system would be desirable, regardless.

PapaWangsta likes this.
  18. This discussion compelled me to peek at the manual. Here’s what it says.

0CE534FE-A9ED-4F57-BA6A-DF78744932FD.jpeg
    Would the ABS and EBD be active when using the parking brake to slow/stop the car? I see two possible scenarios.

1) Where the braking system has failed and the parking brake is the only option.
    2) Where the braking system is functional and the driver chooses to slow the car with the parking brake.

PapaWangsta likes this.
  19. MrFixit

It is noteworthy that all of the "automatic" scenarios defined in the manual occur when the vehicle is staionary.

When the manual discusses what happens when the driver engages the parking brake while moving, it seems that the vehicle will not apply the parking brake without first stopping the vehicle with the servo brake system. Once again, the parking brake does not seem to want to appy during motion.

That leaves @Landshark's question wide open... What happens in an 'emergency' scenario when the servo brake system has failed? One would hope that the parking brake would be applied while moving out of necessity. It would be very nice to know what to expect before actually needing to do this !

20. rodeknyt

rodeknyt Active Member

I don't know if it would be possible, but one thing I would try in that scenario if the parking brake didn't respond while in motion would be to pull back on the Reverse shift button. Maybe nothing would happen, but if it was that critical a situation—and there was time—I'd try it and worry about drive train damage later.

PapaWangsta likes this.
  21. VABeachKiwi

VABeachKiwi New Member

I think I had this issue in my car - very early on so more than two years ago. Software update at the dealer fixed the issue.

PapaWangsta likes this.
  22. MrFixit

Do you happen to still have an invoice (or similar) that would identify the particulars of the software update?

PapaWangsta likes this.
  23. Ragman

Ragman New Member

I had the same warning along with "Hill holding system". Went to the dealer, made the appointment, alarm cleared on the way home. Go figure......

PapaWangsta likes this.