Kona EV to Ioniq5 or Kia EV6

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by KonaTom, Dec 11, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

I'm impressed with the specs of both the Ioniq5 and Kia EV6. One thing I like is the vehicle to load feature that will let you run appliances during power outages, and even charge another EV (although, slowly), without playing around with an inverter.
    The EV6 even has a 110V plug in the backseat area, so you can make a pot of coffee in the car (if you were inclined to do so). The Ultimate packages have augmented HUD displayed on the windshield, looks good, but wonder if its better than the HUD on the Kona?
    The Ioniq5 has removed many buttons, forcing you to make a lot of adjustments using the touchscreen, not a fan of that. The EV6 kept more buttons and button like functions, such as the ability to turn on heated seats with a button like interface.
    Both cars offer AWD options, that I wish Kona had. Both have towing capacity because they are RWD normally. The level II highway driving assist is more robust than that offered by the Kona. Around-view cameras are also available in Ultimate packages. EV6 even has the ability to display the view out either back side right on the driver display when turn signals are activated, probably a good thing as visibility out back window is a little restricted. Speaking of rear windows, neither has a wiper on the window, relying on a wind tunnel through the upper spoiler to clear the window. I don't think this will work very well and is the biggest sticking point for me.
    Both have kept variable regen functions with steering wheel paddles. Both offer reclining seats, with the Ioniq5 having a foot rest too. They are both quite a bit bigger than the Kona with more leg room and storage, but EV6 is lower so it offers less volume. The Ioniq5 has a movable center console, so you could exit the car out the passenger side easily if needed. Both offer the ability to summon the car from a parking spot using the remote. That could be a big feature for me as our garage is tight in width, so I could park and remove the car remotely as there may not be room to exit out of the door.
    Anyway, I couldn't decide on which one I like the most, so I put down deposits on both. Hopefully I will have a test drive model this January to try.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Actually can anyone confirm that the Canadian or U.S. specs actually include the Remote parking features? I've seen it demo'd but none of the North American spec sheets I've seen actually confirm it - or even mention it. It's very strange actually.

4. Anaglypta

Anaglypta Active Member

UK
  5. @KonaTom As far as I know the Ioniq5 also has the outlet in the back seat area and also the side view cameras when turning.

My favorite is the Ioniq5 because I really have to keep myself from throwing up when I see the back of the EV6. I like that it has better aerodynamics but I'll live with the "better" design of the Ioniq5.

I hope to get my hands on a full spec RWD for "best" range. I definitely miss my Kona, though.

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. I had to look that up:

upload_2021-12-12_13-46-13.png

8. It's a very American term. Being Canadian I, of course, have absorbed the culture. ;)

9. We have absorbed yours.

We'll keep the Poutine and Hockey, but you can have your Nickelback.

Domenick likes this.
  10. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

Good to know, that would make me more inclined to the Ioniq5, and I do prefer it's design. I couldn't find that information on any spec sheet except for EV6, but it makes sense that if it has VtoL it would also have that plug. It is a sharp looking vehicle, and has better visibility out back.

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. I think so too. And the lower efficiency ... Well, at least we'd look better at the charger ...

13. Got confused there for a moment , I thought you were researching VTOL (vertical take off and landing) - wouldn't that be cool, but I see you are actually researching V2L (Vehicle to Load):D

KonaTom, OzKona and Esprit1st like this.
  14. Perhaps more in certain parts of the US? I lived in Southern Cal for 20 years prior to NZ and I had never heard that term. It was shock enough to us in the west when Bill Clinton once said "that dog won't hunt".

15. Undoubtedly regional. Most turns of phrase are. "That dog won't hunt" is very Southern. Texas definitely, Arkansas apparently.

I can't begin to imagine what New Zealand oddities exist.

16. Take all the vowels: AEIOU.
    Remove the "O".

Pronounce any word, by moving the first vowel one place along, starting over at "U".

Pen becomes "Pin".
    Fish becomes "Fush"

There's one word I "can't" explain.

KiwiME and Wildeyed like this.
  17. Lol! I think I hadn't noticed that.
    It's certainly a culture shock in a thousand ways.

18. Yes its interesting the things that they ultimately deleted from ultimate trim in NA market like the drawer glove box, actual leather seating surfaces(vinyl only "leatherette" for North America), we also get totally fugly head rests, no metal trimmed acceleration/brake pedals. I'm sure there is more.