Is the 2022 Kona EV plagued with prior models issues?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by ForceEdge, Dec 2, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. They ARE adjustable as @Esprit1st's video shows. The Aussie top spec Kona has LED headlights. These are also adjustable from under the hood and in addition there is a three stage adjustment on the panel by the driver's knee so you can compensate for load. Very convenient.

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. That button and VESS silence were omitted from the N.A. market. It sure would have been a bonus to include that same headlight adjustment on the panel.
    [​IMG]
    Of course the VESS can be modified to perform to the same European, Australian and N.Z specs:
    https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/modifications-and-tweaks.5009/page-8#post-105992:)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
  4. nogasman

nogasman New Member

We bought our 2021 Kona EV in May and it has been the best car we've ever owned. Not to minimize the trouble that some Kona EV drivers have had with faulty batteries - because it would genuinely suck to have a faulty car, but statistically that number is quite low. I am concerned with what I am hearing regarding Hyundai's rather indifferent customer service and the QC problems with LG batteries, but the Kona EV is still a damn good car. At 14,000 km we are quite happy. Now we get to see how the Kona does in an Ottawa winter. We've already noticed at least a 20-25% decrease in SOC numbers from more temperate weather. If you live in a cold climate, that's a really good reason to get EVs with large capacity batteries: so you can maintain your normal routine even when losing maybe 30% of potential range. Let's hope that in the coming new year that Kona's battery issues can be resolved in a more timely fashion, that Hyundai would realize that good customer service is good for business, and that LG's competitors make LG's batteries obsolete.

5. larsamike

larsamike New Member

I used to be a fan and owner of Hyundai products. Having had many cars in the past.
    Was really excited to get their ev when it came out.
    Traded in a leaf to get one...
    Boy was that a mistake.
    Worst car I've ever owned. Just fraught with niggling problems from brakes to steering...and an annoying array of bitching Betty warnings going off constantly with their poorly designed software.
    After six months of that...
    Traded back to a newer leaf...and have never been happier.
    Never again Hyundai...
    You blew it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2021
  6. Zombienaic

Zombienaic New Member

It’s the old story… frankly.
    They should be forced to return your money.

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. We have had our 2021 Ultimate for just over a year, no problems. I charge at home with a Grizzl-E L2 EVSE, so it is always ready to go, Just get in and drive.

9. Thank you! The video is just what I needed...incredibly easy screws to find.

Esprit1st likes this.
  10. No problem, hope it helps.
    If you want to align the aiming point as per spec this info should help- should work for Kona EV LED version as well;)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
    mho likes this.
  11. Tomek

Tomek Active Member

I've already done 20,000. km my Kona and no problems. I always charge the AC 100%, the car drives beautifully, range approx. 520 km in summer and 380 km in winter (450 without heating). I regret having a cheap version without a heat pump and goodies, but it's a company car - privately, I would buy a better equipped version. Of course, certain design assumptions limit the usefulness of this model, e.g. a small trunk, cheap interior finish. Someone more demanding (and wealthy) can take, for example, Kia EV6 or Huindai Ionic 5, they are probably more luxurious and dynamic. However, for everyday driving, the Kona is more than enough, it drives perfectly, it is comfortable, lively and economical. And LBNL, so far, reliable.

apu and Ginginova like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.