Is the 2022 Kona EV plagued with prior models issues?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by ForceEdge, Dec 2, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. To remove this ad click here.

2. Wade

Wade New Member

I've had my 2021 for a year now, no issues and no signs of any issue with the battery.

3. Larrymelton

Larrymelton New Member

My 2019 KONA EV SEL has been a great car. Never had problems with the main battery, but only charged it to 80% most of the time, especially when the battery recall was issued. Hyundai replaced the main battery about 6 months ago and it is performing flawlessly…and now I regularly charge to 100%. I love my KONA EV and have loved it all along!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
  4. Eddie S

Eddie S New Member

We've had our new 2021 Premium since July (3200 miles), and had no issues at all (apart from minor bugs in Bluelink). We love the car. Maybe it's different in the UK!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2021
  5. livingthecadream

livingthecadream New Member

One question that I might ask is whether they are still using the LG battery in the 2022. Our 2021 bricked in the summer. There are no battery replacements, and many cars with the battery has known problems with the LG battery. I have had a terrible time getting any response from Hyundai and most likely, it will take 6 to 7 months until the buy back happens. Just because they put the 2022 badge on it, doesn't mean things are fixed. I am very sad, as it was a zippy and cute car.

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Sue

Sue New Member

I turned in a 2019 for a 2021 to avoid 80% limit on my capacity. The 2021 then had a bad battery and after having driven it for ONLY 2 months, the vehicle is inoperable, has been in a dealer's lot since AUGUST 15th. I had the car for 2 months, the dealer has had it for 4.

The way in which Hyundai has handled the situation with me is just shameful. I can only conclude that they are a not a good company.
    My case was opened on August 16th, and I can't get a call back from them.
    I call 2x/wk and get the same story EVERY week, week after week. "You will be hearing from a case manager in 5 days". They don't call. If I escalate, you have to wait for the Manager to call you back - They don't call back.

I've had cars in the past with issues, which have been resolved by good companies. Companies such as Audi - who were ultimately able to keep me as their customer and I owned 4 Audis as a result over a 20 yr period.

As for Hyundai - I will NEVER own/lease/recommend a Hyundai. Yes, the Kona EV is affordable, efficient, practical, and fun to drive. But once its dead at the shop, it's a total nightmare and the way this company has handled my experience is horrendous.

If anyone has a phone # or email at Hyundai other than Consumer Affairs (who are very nice, but completely un-empowered), I would much appreciate it.

8. Fritz40

Fritz40 New Member

I have had my 2020 ultimate for the last 19 months, built in February 2020 and received it in May 2020. 34000 later, I am still in love with it, no issues at all, not even the big battery or the 12v. Regular maintenance always , cleaning the brakes at 24000 km, and tire changes between summer/winter. Second winter with the car and love it. I charge at home mostly weekly at 100% and on the road for long trips on level 3 chargers at 80-90%. Hope this helps, I intend to keep the car for 3 more years and then either get the Ionic 5, 6 or 3 when it comes out)

9. This is pretty much my story too.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

10. Loc Quan

Loc Quan New Member

My 2019 Limited has 40,000 miles. No issue. I had never brought it in for any software update; if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I have never use a fast charge before; Level 2 at work all the way. I did change the reduction gear oil at 14,000 miles. I was surprise by the dark gray color of the gear oil, but after taking a closer look, I think Hyundai put molybdenum disulfide additive. Which is fine with me. Back in the early 80s, I used to put molybdenum disulfide in the new crankcase for break-in. Molybdenum disulfide is dark gray when new. It made the engine oil go black quite quickly on new engine. Keep in mind that engines in the early 80s did not have tight tolerances like today's engines. My 12V died a couple weeks ago. I had to buy a new one from Hyundai for $126 because it is a small form factor deep-cycle type; not available anywhere else (should have gone with Ohmmu LiFePO4 12V battery). It was beyond the 36,000 miles warranty. Most people don't know this ... but when the Bluelink fails to connect for more than a week, then you know your 12V is going die soon; change it ASAP to avoid towing expense. Luckily, mine died on my drive way when it was really cold in the morning. I will change the gear reduction oil again this weekend at 40,000 miles. I am anxious to see how the Redline Synthetic MT-LV 70W/75W GL-4 Gear Oil is doing. This will let me gauge when to do my next oil change. I guess I will keep using the existing traction battery for a few more dozen thousands miles before bugging the dealership for a new one. It has 10yrs or 100,000 warranty.

electriceddy likes this.
  11. To remove this ad click here.

12. livingthecadream

livingthecadream New Member

I had to get a lawyer and file a lemon law case. That finally encouraged them to respond. I encourage you to look into the lemon law protections in your state. I will never buy any Hyundai again and will tell everyone I know about my experience.

13. Honhme

Honhme New Member

We have had our 2020 Kona since last December and, knock on wood, no problems with the battery so far. Usually charge to 90% at home, except if we are planning a long trip. Then charge to 80% at Level 3 chargers on the road. Keeping my fingers crossed.

14. Stevewallace

Stevewallace New Member

The 2019 Kona EV is the best vehicle I have ever owned. That is saying a lot as I owned a Toyota Prius and put over 450,000 miles on it. I am retired now and it does great in city driving as well as freeway. The recalls so far have been a non issue as they are done within an hour or less. I am due for a new battery in March 2022, but I have had no problems with the battery I currently have. According to Battery University in Canada, you should slow charge whenever possible. I keep my charge between 50-80% by charging overnight at 110AC. That said, if you were to charge DC fast charge each work day daily for 20 years, you would lose only 10% capacity. The current 80% limit is a non issue as when travelling long distance, as you pay an arm and a leg for charging from 80% to 100%, so on long distance trips I charge to 80%. All it takes is planning. Most of our long trip DC charging is done in conjunction with bathroom or eating breaks, so when we are finished, that vehicle is ready to go. Most hotels are near charging stations or have outside 110AC outlets to use. The safety is phenomenal with the radars warning me or protecting me in traffic. When cars weave in and out in traffic in front of you, it can confuse the radar/computer, so always be ready to steer and brake. With Canadian rebates, it is one of the best vehicle I have ever owned.

15. Tomek

Tomek Active Member

So do I. 20kkm from January, always 100% AC charging, only 2 times DC high-power charged till today. No problems. On Tuesday it is going to be inspected.

16. Rob Kaulfuss

Rob Kaulfuss New Member

My 2021 Kona Ultimate has been great since delivery in early September 2021. I had also considered the VW ID.4, Mustang Mach E, and Chevy Bolt EUV. First, Chevy is completely tied up with battery recalls and can't even sell the new ones. For the VW and Ford EVs, you will find lots of complaints about various things in their forums about the vehicles, dealers, and companies. (You can also find horror stories about Teslas.) Hyundai, had relatively better posts in their forums. I had considered waiting until the Ioniq 5 or Kia EV6 came out, but I wanted to get something that had been out for a number of years and had the bugs worked out.

I am concerned with the complaints here about Hyundai, the company and that it not just forum bias. It seams like it should be the dealer that deals with them, though. (I know that the supply chains are really a mess as I waited from many months for replacement batteries for 2 different brands of eBikes.) Still, Hyundai should provide some compensation.

It is important to shop around for good dealers and not just the best price. My Hyundai dealer in Wilmington, MA has a huge lot but a very small showroom with only 2 cars, a Kona EV and an Ioniq EV. That says a lot and I was told that the owner is gung ho on the transition to EVs. This year he had gotten over a hundred Kona EVs and had only a few left by Labor Day. I doubt he would have ordered so many 2021s if there were still major battery issues. I haven't needed any service yet, so time will tell but I am hopeful!

17. Tim Thornley

Tim Thornley New Member

I've done 30,000km in a 2019 Kona and had no issues. Sure I had the recall notices and it had to be inspected but my battery is apparently fine. For a while they didn't want me to charge above 90% but back to normal now. I have looked at the alternatives and would be happy to try something better but so far I haven't found it. The Kona has great efficiency as well as range. Efficiency matter because it means less time charging and even lower cost. I feel for the people who have had issues but I expect they are the minority and for the rest of us it is a great car.

18. Susanne Krivit

Susanne Krivit New Member

I bought my 2020 Limited in March of 2021. My car was manufactured in December of 2019 (that's a long time to be sitting around on a lot!) and the 2 battery recalls are listed as completed under my VIN number. I'm not sure what that means exactly. So I guess it is OK? No problems but I live in Connecticut and wish it had come with the heat pump. I use the seat warmers. I love the car but have nothing good to say about the dealership I bought it from.

19. Been there myself (hung command brought my 12V level down to 4.5 V)and have subsequently disabled the telematics on my newer model...no issues since;)

20. I too have a 2021 Kona Electric (I also had the 2019 and got a good trade for the 2021 so I avoided the battery recall issue). I love it, it's a great car for me. With the 2019 and now also with the 2021 I get 'flashed' at night from oncoming traffic. I've asked 2 different dealers about these cars: if there's a way to adjust the headlights and both dealers said they were not adjustable at all.
    How did you lower your headlights?

electriceddy likes this.
  21. I guess I've had a substantially better experience with my 2019 Kona than some others and I like ours a lot! Back in the days when Hyundai was offering to buy back Konas, I called Hyundai USA to ask about how it would work. The person I talked with told me to expect a call within 2 weeks with details. When the call came, the person told me the buy back program had ended and replacement batteries were going to be available. He told me to go to a specific local Hyundai dealership and talk with the service manager. The service manager knew about the program and connected me with his assistant, who initiated the battery ordering process with Hyundai. He warned me that it could be a while before the battery arrived and, in fact, I think it was a month or so. But it did come in and the dealership installed it more quickly than they'd told me initially it would take. I can now charge to 100%, rather than 80% before the replacement. I've read about dealerships insisting they had to keep the car while awaiting a new battery, but I didn't have any such problem.

Interestingly, I decided after taking my first few long distance Kona trips that I needed to get an additional vehicle that would not subject me to range anxiety or long waits recharging at rapid charging locations. I found and bought a Rav4 Prime, which brilliantly satisfies those desires. I'd say my Kona/Rav4 Prime combination is mighty close to perfect for my needs.

22. Fellow member @Esprit1st generously details headlight adjustment here ( actual position of the adjustments screws starts @ 2:10 of the video):

Hope this helps:)

Esprit1st likes this.