Waiting on Recall Battery

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Nussy, Dec 7, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. Nussy

Nussy New Member

I am new to this forum so apologies if this has been covered ad nauseum in here but I needed to vent and possibly hear about people in similar situations.

I have a 2019 Kona EV and my 12V battery died in September so I took it to the dealer to have it looked at. They said it was under warranty but to do it under warranty they would have to resolve the traction battery recall first. They made it sound like Hyundai was actually doing the traction recalls now and they said a rental car would be provided and paid for so I agreed.

It's now December, the dealer has no idea when the traction battery is coming in and when I tried talking to Hyundai Corporate about it, I got a call back with a cryptic "we have no date". Has this been everyone's experience? I am so sick of driving this ICE rental and wish I just had my car back, even at 80% range.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Tracy

Tracy New Member

I waited almost 3.5 months to get a new traction battery. At no time did the dealer have an ETA for the battery. Thankfully I was provided a loaner. Without warning the dealer called one day and said my car was ready for pickup. I'm in NH, USA.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  4. Hi Nussy, Welcome.
    Really helpful if you put your location in - the experiences are very varied and location specific - yes there are plenty of chats on this forum on this topic - just do a search.
    My dealer is always helpful and open: I have a date range for replacement in late Jan for example. But I'm in Australia, which may not be where you are.

5. Many of us were notified of the recall 9 months ago and are still patiently waiting for notification that a battery has been allocated. I certainly empathise more with those whose cars are sitting on the dealer's service lot and having to drive an ICE rental but all owners are pretty anxious about this recall.

6. NRH

NRH Active Member

I got things moving by opening a case with Hyundai customer care, and persistently escalating and following up. That got me a traction battery replacement in about 2 months.
    (I was able to drive my car in the meantime - it would have driven me nuts if I had a loaner that whole time.)

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Yes, I still have mine, "restricted"to 90% at the 30k service last week (which I was doing anyway, but can still change back 100???). I only failed the test at the servicce, and I'm 8th in line for the change. They can only accept 2 batteries at a time, so late Jan it is.

Empathy for those who have to put up with the ICE loaner - that sucks.

9. KonaScot

KonaScot Active Member

It's terrible that they've kept your car....I had a wait from mid-July to the second week in November for my traction battery (dealer didn't require me to leave the car, and knew they couldn't demand it). Dealer was good on bird-dogging Hyundai corporate many times to try to help, when all of a sudden they got notice that it would be delivered 3 days hence. Took about 3 hours to put in, pretty quick. No issues. This in mid-Hudson Valley, NY. It gives you an idea of my wait. Thought for the thread: Those with loaners might want to go to your dealers and demand your cars back during the wait for the new battery. They may not have a legal leg to stand on to impound the cars that you own or lease.

10. Nussy

Nussy New Member

I called the dealer at one point last month to figure out what was going on. They said they had 4 cars waiting and 2 people demanded their car back. I could demand mine back if I really wanted but I'd probably have to pay out of pocket for a new 12V battery since they told me they can't replace it under warranty with an outstanding recall. Almost sounded like the guy was fed up with corporate and just wanted me to get corporate to pay for a rental for as long as he was waiting for the batteries. Who knows.

11. Similar situation for us, here in Windermere, FL. Still waiting for our traction battery, but dealership replaced our 12volt battery and then gave us car back. Still waiting for HV battery since September

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. KonaScot

KonaScot Active Member

Dealers have been jerked around by Corporate as have we owners. Corporate keeps changing the rules and how it's done. Were it me, I'd probably take my car back, have the dealer order the battery part and once delivered I'd put it in myself at my cost....just to get the car back for an indeterminant period. Old threads are on the forum about what non-OEM batteries may fit the Kona EV (AutoZone reportedly of no help). But read those.

Then again, you'll get your car back and in a week you'll hear that they are ready to replace your battery......