10k and notice miles degrading charge

Discussion in 'ID.4' started by midsail, Nov 7, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. CA e-tron owner

CA e-tron owner New Member

<Answer to...Greetings all, We have notice a degrading of miles when charging lately. My daughter drives 170 miles round trip (4 days a week) traveling between the university n home. Until lately when charging to 80%. We we're getting 200 miles per charge to 80%. Lately when charging to 80%, we are getting between 175 n 178 miles. That's a difference between 22 n 25 miles less. We recently complete a 100% charge which gave us 225 miles. When we first get the ID a 100% gave us 260 miles. Has anyone been experiencing this type of behavior?>

There are several EV charging studies online now, many posted on LinkedIn, stating that while Lithium Ion battery packs do not have "memory" capacity loss issues like NiCad batteries, they do "learn" how they are used, adjusting what they make available to the EV based on driving and charging activities. We discovered that it is best to occasionally draw the battery pack down to a low level (10-15% State of Charge for example), then recharge to 100%.
    Here is the link for the latest article on this charging technique: https://lnkd.in/gTTp2HYK

I hope this helps your range problem.

midsail likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Oceans2

Oceans2 New Member

With my 2014 RAV4, if we disconnected the motor battery, it would reset and clear the memory and then would show a “normal” charge range on the next charge.

4. midsail

midsail New Member

Greetings ALL
    I check my driving mode and it was set to Eco mode. However we have notice a slight increase after charging the ID 4 to 100%. Letting the charge drop to the 20% mark and charging the ID 4 to 80%. We did gain an additional 10 miles of charge to 186 miles. I will read CA e-tron owner article about drain the battery level. Please continue to provide feedback has some if not all has been a helpful and learning experience, again thank you all.

5. midsail

midsail New Member

Greetings all
    Glad to say CA e-tron owner post is working so far. The battery seems to be recalibrating/resetting itself slowly. The milage increase is slowly increasing. I will setting up a battery maintenace schedule for every 2 to 3 months.

6. I had a lot of this with the Kona for a while. It depended on weather, load and more importantly, whether I was doing highway or city driving.
    In the end, it was best to ignore the GoM and just monitor the average kWh/100km against the "known" capacity of the battery.
    I just do some quick maths to estimate range (assuming that 100% SoC is 64kWh). eg. I average 16kWh/100km on the highway so I expect 10% to be close to 40km.
    By and large, that ends up being more reliable than the GoM.
    Of course, with the battery fire business, Hyundai also messed with Displayed SoC vs BMS SoC (there's a 2.5 points gap on the OBD2 reader at 100% Displayed SoC).

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Rob N

Rob N New Member

I drive an ID4 and I do notice I get different charge levels depending on how I drive. If I drive fast on a freeway I get less charge. If I drive in town and use the B mode I get more mileage at a charge. I've noticed this with other electric vehicles as well. Is your daughter driving quite fast on the freeway? That will reduce the total charge amount...

9. midsail

midsail New Member

Greetings All n Happy Thanksgiving.
    Thank u Rob N for the feedback. We will try your advise. Although our ID 4 battery is still slowly increase the miles per charge.

10. midsail

midsail New Member

Greetings All n Happy Holidays
    Well after trying some of the suggested post and not seeing any sugnificant improvement. I decide to take the car back to the dealership. After 2 days testing every diagnostic test came back with no errors or soft glitches. It was explain to me that the ID has a built in Adaptive Learning system. It is a Smart Car that will study your driving habits and will adapt to the driving habits of the driver. I was reassure that no battery degradation was being done to the car.
    Here is what I learned today at the dealership;
    -The ID 4 is a Smart Car that will study your driving habits and will adapt to the driving habits of the driver.
    -Tire rotation is not to possible. Rear tire are a different size than the front tires. I missed this fact when ordering the the car. But it is post in the car specs. Once I went back and reviewed the specs.
    -Charging the car every night will not degrade the battery significantly. Like any battery over the long haul there will be some battery degradation.
    -Keep charging the ID 4 to 80%.
    -If traveling long distance charge to 100%.
    - Ask if my daughter 170 miles round trip is consider long distance. According to the the dealership since it will also include city driving stop n go. Keep charging to the 80% recommendation.
    -Bring in the car for every 10K schedule maintenance and skip the 5k maintenance.
    - I'll say one thing, the dealership was very honest when explaining everything to me. They did admit since this is a new car, techonolgy and little history. They are leaning the nuance of the car. They have gone to training on the car but very little hands on experience. They are now starting to see real live data has there are more ID 4 on the road.

We will be traveling in the car over the Xmas Holiday and test the long range trip. Once we get back I'll post our experience.

11. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

When you drive 170 miles a day, it seems unwise to charge it to a level that gives you a whopping 8 miles of extra range

This focus on 80 percent charging is not productive in your use case

Charge the car the way you will use it.

I would not think twice about charging to 100 percent in your case.

But I mean seriously 90 percent makes more sense

The potential debatable loss in battery range will be years off.

Electra and syntaxfx like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. A long time back, I looked at a few videos on battery life / usage by Jeff Dahn from Dalhousie University (they help Tesla develop their batteries).

It's old now, but the basic information is still mostly correct (batteries have improved a lot in the last 8 years).
    Hope it helps.

14. Electra

Electra Active Member

What percent and miles remaining when she gets home with only an 80% charge?

15. ?????? 5k maintenance?????? The maintenance schedules I've seen only have 10k intervals listed. You may want to check the maintenance schedule in your owners manual to be sure. To keep the warranty you only need to do as per the owners manual for regular maintenance, don't let them up sell you costly unneeded work. The dealers don't always know what they are talking about,,,,,,,,,,,,,now there's a surprise, lol
    We have a 2019 Kona and we are still getting emails and phone calls that are following the gas car maintenance schedule.
    BTW - we have an ID.4 on order.

16. midsail

midsail New Member

The VW owners manual does state 5k maybe that has change since I p/u my ID 4.
    But following some of the advise of driving slower (60 MPH) by the Tech Rep on the hi way. We are now get around 215 miles when charging to 80%. We are going to charge to 100% and will post the charge miles.

17. midsail

midsail New Member

Greetings All
    While after the last few weeks driving around 60MPH. We are getting over 200 miles per charge at 80%. When charging to 100% we are getting over 260 miles per charge. It seems the Adaptive Learning system is affected if driving 70 MPH constantly. Especially on my daughter 170 round trip everyday (4x a week). So at the end of the day, we are still learning the nuances of the car. Hopefully we won't encounter too may of the nuances.

StevenF likes this.