Is the 2022 Kona EV plagued with prior models issues?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by ForceEdge, Dec 2, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ForceEdge

ForceEdge Member

Really looking to step into the wood of owning a fully electric EV. My wife has the Rav 4 prime and she and I both love it. Mainly do local driving and 95% of our trips are electric only.

now I’m looking to purchase an EV but I’m torn between the Kona, BZ4x, EV6, etc. hoping something sparks my interest.

many insight on if I should go with the 2022 Kona? Just have been seeing/hearing so many issues with dealerships and the car itself. But the price and range is so good

So has the Kona EV been ridden of all the main problems of the prior models

thanks!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I have the 2021 Kona EV. It has the same battery issues the 2019 has. It has been more than 4 months now and I am still waiting for a battery replacement. The are no batteries. The battery would stop charging at 60% when using a fast charger and the car would not drive unless I use OBD2 scanner to clear error codes. There is a high probability the 2022 has the same issues. I would not buy another Hyundai in my lifetime.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

4. NRH

NRH Active Member

Honestly, even with the problems it's been a great car, and I'd buy it again. Though it has been inconvenient at times to take it to the dealer for warranty or recall services (including battery replacement), it hasn't cost us anything, and the car has been fabulous. For the money, I don't think there's a better car.

5. This is exactly the rub, it is an awesome car just the unscheduled service visits have been a tad onerous. As far as cost to the owner I guess it mostly depends on how much you value your time as the cost of repairs have generally taken care of under warranty.

navguy12 likes this.
  6. Yep, there is warranty but when the parts are not available (the battery in my case) it is like it is not there.
    Still waiting for a battery replacement with no ETA. There is even no open recall for my car yet.

The dealership cannot help because they do not have a battery.
    Hyundai Consumer Affairs would not take my calls anymore and would not respond to my emails.
    I sent a demand letter to Hyundai's lawyers - no response
    I reported the problem with NHTSA.gov more than 3 months ago and talked with them today. Their response - "We are a federal agency and can't do much.
    If too many people complain we can include the 2021 Kona to the recalls"

I am required to make my payments while waiting patiently forever and driving my car on short trips and charging at home only.
    It won't take more than 60% charge on a fast charger.

There is one more car in the same dealership waiting for battery too.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. To actually address the question you posed, I'd suggest that they have addressed the major issues with the exception of the gear reducer oil cleanliness, which is easily corrected (ironically) with few oil changes.

navguy12 likes this.
  9. Keep in mind that those with problems tend to post in forums to find answers, sympathy and so on. Those with no problems tend to just go out and drive. So you'll see a disproportionate number of problems in forums. As for determining the ratio and size of problems, manufacturer response and so on compared to other makes you need to look elsewhere (although I'm not completely sure where that is)

We've had our 2021 for about 6 months and 11,000 km and it has performed flawlessly (sample size of 1).

Probably just stating the obvious ....

10. eCork

eCork New Member

We’ve had our 2022 for about a month, and are loving it. I don’t know for sure obviously, but I can’t imagine that at this point Hyundai is still building vehicles that still have the battery issue. There may be other minor issues, but I think (hope?) everything major has been rectified.

But as mentioned, I am only 1 month in….

Zombienaic likes this.
  11. Even accounting for the reporting bias, many of us here have had our eye on the Kona ball for years now and really it's just the traction battery, 12V battery and knocking noises that have been major issues.

Certainly a few post-March 2020 cars have had traction battery problems, but not a lot, and 12V battery problems seem to be less frequent now and often self-inflicted.

And I've been told by someone on Reddit that the motor/reducer "fit" was corrected for 2020+ models. The new reducer now says "Transys" on it. The lack of a magnetic drain plug that I've been harping on about recently is more of an increased risk, easily corrected with proactive maintenance.

navguy12 and FlexTail like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

12v problems self-inflicted ? How exactly? The car should be able to prevent this in all reasonable circumstances ( e.g. leaving boot open).

14. Agreed, the "boot" is still the weak link, as well as telematics in disrupting the 12V charge cycle.
    I tend to check always after de-energizing the vehicle - what doors are indicated open on the display (knowing that an improper closing left ajar can cancel everything the new software is trying to prevent). Kind of a pain in the but, but considering the action of the latch mechanism, I have had this occur at random times. ( Mod to come to the latch detection switches in near future).
    As far as telematics, just don't enable the Bluelink app to start with, no worries:)

navguy12 and OzKona like this.
  15. I keep hearing this telematics as a problem. I don't understand what that is. I use BlueLink frequently, and have never had an issue with 12V. Never left my boot door open either. So my 12V has always been good.

I do know from past experience (not on this car) that once a 12V is badly discharged, it is likely ruined, and will never hold charge capacity like new again. But if you take care of them (keep them fully charged), they will easily go 5 years. I suspect that it is always possible that when you buy your car, the 12V may already be compromised, because at the dealer or elsewhere it was run down for some reason, likely the boot door left open. And some people run them down with dash cams, too, that can record when parked.

navguy12 likes this.
  16. Sure, in an ideal world but the OP asked if the current offering has been ridden of all the main problems of the prior models, which I think is fair to say is true in this case because the charging schedule was modified and we see fewer reports of flat batteries.
    I'm not sure if the Kona's architecture could easily support continuous monitoring of the 12V system. I think you know how it works as well as anyone here so I'd love to know if I'm wrong!

17. ElectricArt

ElectricArt New Member

Started with a 2019 Kona EV.
    Drove it for a year 14k miles.
    No problems but sold it back to Hyundai because the offer was to good to turn down.
    Bought a 2021 Kona August of this year. Been driving since then no problems.
    Maybe I have just been lucky.
    But I assume or hope the vast majority of Kona’s have been problem free.
    (sample size of 2 now). Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
    Russell Widdess likes this.
  18. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

My 2021 seems to have no pack issues, the cells stay rock-solid matched so far. Even at full DC
    charge current [~ 200A] and [very rare] commensurate discharge.

_H*

navguy12 and Russell Widdess like this.
  19. Have owned my 2020 for nearly 18 months, have just under 10k miles. My only concern is about the traction battery. After the recalls I was told my car was fine and I can use as intended. The communication was so poor with Hyundai and the dealer during that time that I just have this bad feeling that the battery isn’t okay. Probably paranoia on my part but it’s always in the back of my mind.

Otherwise my car has been fantastic and it’s still my favorite EV on the road today, especially the refreshed design.

apu likes this.
  20. I have driven my 2021 Kona for 13 months and 24000 km. Other than BMS updates, and the standard inspection services, the worst issue I've had was needing an alignment at 100 km (factory alignment was off) and lowering my headlights to avoid being flashed at night. I usually keep it at 80% max charge, unless I have a long trip, and my longest was 1300 km to and from Quebec City, with multiple DC fast charges. I have an appointment to get my reduction gear oil changed as a preventuve measure based upon the sticky forum thread 'Repair issues and fixes'...

Overall, I enjoy the quiet smooth ride, cheap operating and 'fuel' costs, fast winter heating (heat pump model), and interior creature comforts. I plan to drive it into the ground!

As for your choices, shop around and be comfortable in it. Think of your charging infrastructure... I charge in my garage, and if we have a free charger in NB, I've never heard of it (unlike the lucky buggers in BC!). Other than PetroCanada which can max out the Kona's recharge rate (assuming you can find a working one and your car is in the magic SOC and temp zone), all our DC chargers in NB are 50 kW, so buying a vehicle that can take 800v at massive amps would be useless for the forseable future. Might be the same where you are.

Our Hyundai dealer has sold every Kona they brought in, so people are learning about it finally. I bought the first Ultimate they sold....

My wife is slowly coming over to at least the PHEV idea, but the only one we might consider right now is the Rav4 Prime and the dealer has already sold their rationed 3 vehicles for 2022..... Hopefully by the time her Buick dies, there will be more EVs or PHEVs to pick from.

Good luck on your search. One you have an EV, you wont go back!

navguy12, KiwiME and apu like this.
  21. Zombienaic

Zombienaic New Member

I’ve been up the mountain and down in the pits regarding Hyundai and my beloved Kona…

I frankly think Hyundai is having split-personality problems.

The car is amazing… absolutely a joy to own and drive BUT the dealers are borderline criminal recidivists… and Hyundai is a criminal organization, it seems.

My case manager at Hyundai is never available, never once has answered when I called or suddenly was unknown when the line freakishly did connect.

The dealership sold me the used 2019 Hyundai Kona Ev which the week after suddenly was under recall.

If I had an uncle in the mob, I would have called him during this nightmarish Hyundai experience.

But… I love my Hyundai Kona ev…

It’s a split-personality issue

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

apu likes this.
  22. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

My 2020 has been trouble-free and wasn't subject to the battery recall. But i will second the motion that Hyundai has not been good at communicating with owners. Maybe I'm just lucky but I still love the car.

23. Kona57

Kona57 New Member

I purchased a 2022 EV on Nov 11th and knock on wood, so far it has been a stallion. Holds my golf clubs (barely) and gets me where I need to go. I think if I were taking a road trip, I would probably rent an ICE as opposed to rely on charging stations. Very pleased with my purchase and am amazed by the number of compliments I get on the color. (surf blue) I wasnt a big fan of the color at first, but it's growing on me. Most cars on the road are grey, silver and white...

Jim Brown and electriceddy like this.