Was my 2021 Hyundai Kona EV a good choice?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Lars, Nov 3, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Here is an other study which should make Kona EV owners feel good about their choice. Scroll down to see that our Kona is rated on top end of this list. Remember this car was put on the market in 2018 - I think. Is is real sad that the car was stained by the issues with the HV battery.

https://insideevs.com/news/549870/uk-list-most-efficient-evs/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email

OK we are biased, but if we were Hyundai would we kill the Kona EV? I think I saw a 2022 model in my hood today.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
    John Lumsden and electriceddy like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Along with software changes to support winter mode, should also come updates to support plug-n-charge and
    other ISO15118 updates.

_H*

Lars likes this.
  4. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

For whatever reason, Hyundai always seemed to have limited ambitions for the Kona Electric. They could have sold it in all 59 states and marketed it more aggressively?, but chose not to. An unfortunate choice IMHO.

5. I believe this and the Sister KIA Niro were test cases before production of the E-GMP cars coming out now.

This excellent little car has shown Hyundai that the impediment to selling more electric vehicles in North America is the established dealer network.

Legacy dealers make their profits in repairs, pointless upgrades and incentives from the manufacturers.

6. The problem is limited production capacity. The new factory in eastern EU helped, but still not enough. And this year they have chip shortages. So they have to decide which cars and where will be most profitable. No profit, no capex (factories, equipment, new cars, etc).

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

I have seen several 2022 in my town, and I drove one at the dealers. But, I do think they will discontinue the Kona EV before long. It's unfortunate that they went so much bigger with the Ioniq 5, and that platform seems designed for bigger vehicles. That seems to be the trend, bigger and bigger autos. My garage with two Kona EVs will not support a bigger vehicle :(

Clamps likes this.
  9. Sadly I don't think it will happen.

10. This is not a Hyundai problem. The problem with the dealer network applies to all traditional OEMs world wide. Just look at the struggle Volkswagen has already.

11. I haven't followed VW, are buyers being "steered" to ICE vehicles there too?

(Go Leafs, GO!)

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Bruce M.

I'd like to hear more about this if anyone has details, though it wouldn't surprise me.

14. To clarify. I am not personally aware that VW dealers are directing customers to ICE cars. (We did experience this with Mitsubishi though when we went in to buy the iMiEV in 2012. But that was then.)

What I meant regarding VW above is that the company and its execs are struggling to accept the aggressive electrification plans by their CEO. See link below:
    https://insideevs.com/news/545536/volkswagen-diess-worker-conflict-tesla/

It looks like Herr Diess, who even invited Elon Musk the a corporate meeting to support his plans, survived.

15. Bruce M.

It's worth remembering that VW made a pretty sudden pivot to electrification after the disastrous dieselgate scandal. I'm sure there were lots of internal shock waves.

16. Yes, DISELGATE, but ironically it made VW see the future. The impact is huge. The simplicity of making EVs hurts a lot of people. Not just the OEMs but also a huge number of their suppliers. Even fewer nuts, bolts and washers are needed! And with regen breaking fewer break components.

17. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Dealers also worry about the reduced need for service. But for certain types of issues, your only option is the dealer so they can scan the thing.

Jim Matthews likes this.
  18. That's just what I did.

I bought a replacement Kona EV because it's a practical size, and of the five EVs I've researched and tried, it's the only one that put a smile on my face from the first test drive.

@Lars range isn't the only thing, and its importance depends on your individual driving pattern. It's meaningless to me.

Kirk, arhnold, Lars and 1 other person like this.
  19. Bruce M.

Yes, range has never been a huge issue for me and it's about to become even less of one when I move to Hilo, Hawaii in a month. On the island you can do a round-trip from pretty much anywhere to anywhere in no more than 200 miles.

20. Have fun in Hilo. Keep your eyes open for the volcano and some tsunamis. :D

21. Bruce M.

I'll be at an elevation that's safe from tsumamis and a spot that's not considered a lava zone (believe me, I checked!). I survived 65 years of California earthquakes and wildfires, so I can handle this!

22. If you are still wondering if the Kona is a good car, watch my video of the buyback process and my reaction to it.
    You'll understand: (bloopers at the end)

apu, electriceddy and ericy like this.
  23. Such a sad opening segment, must have felt like complete anguish and misery. I hope the cold shower at the helped:D

Esprit1st likes this.