Charging Woes At Condo

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by QuietMini, Nov 23, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Long story short, I went to my HOA to inquire about charging stations. Whether or not they would put them in or I can put my own. They told me I could place one but I have to show them how I would solve the problem of tripping over the cable since it will run on the sidewalk to my car. I have assigned parking but it's uncovered and in front of the sidewalk to my unit. Anyway, I don't think I am getting a charger outside because it just sounds like so much work based on what the HOA wants. Plus, I would have to have it all removed if I sell my condo which I am hoping to do within the next couple of years. I do feel it's their way of trying to discourage me. My plan is to have the charging cable run from inside my place over the sidewalk to the car with a cable cover that will protect it and avoid any tripping. I am also planning on doing this overnight. Anyone has this set up? Any thoughts?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Not me

Not me Member

Something tells me people will be equally likely to trip over a never-before-there cable cover as a never-before-there cable, especially at night.

4. ghost

ghost Active Member

What about putting in an 8' decorative black pole in the ground and running the cable up and over the sidewalk?

5. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

I suggest having an outdoor EVSE professionally installed with the wire run underground and under the sidewalk (water boring). Then list your condo down the road as “EV ready”. I think you could actually recoup most or all of the installation cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

6. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I personally feel installing an EVSE is a home improvement and not a vehicle cost, as it could become a selling feature in the next few years. There's also the federal tax rebate of up to $1000 for installing charging equipment, which counts any cost associated with installation.

polyphonic likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. endquote

endquote Active Member

If you happen to be in California, I believe you can’t be prevented from installing EV equipment. Even if you’re not, check your local rules.

9. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

It's not a big deal to trench and bore a path under a sidewalk. Then, as others suggested, post-mount an EVSE at your parking spot. It's one of the few home improvements that (from a resale standpoint) is worth about what you pay.

polyphonic likes this.
  10. Valid points and I agree. The issue I’m having with it all is that my HOA is telling me that after I come up with an elaborate plan according to their demands (can’t drill holes on building concrete or place anything on sidewalk or blacktop). Not sure if it can be threaded underneath based on those rules because they want me to keep everything intact. If they happen to approve it, which sounds like a big IF because they seem to be worried about the esthetics and landscaping. Basically all their demands sound impossible. That I would then have to remove it all if I sell. Sounds like such a pain to go through to then pay to have it all removed. They seem to think it’s not the way of the future. They are all retired folks. I live in MA and the state passed a right to charge law for Boston for ppl who live in condos but apparently the rest of the state doesn’t count.

11. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

How are other 110V vehicle assist devices handled now (e.g., 12V battery chargers, etc.)? If they are allowed, then at a minimum you should be allowed to use your OEM 110V charger just like any other vehicle-support device. It is exactly a showcase of the many barriers EV owners not living in their own single family residence face in charging their vehicle at their multi-family home (whether condo or apartment) and benefiting from the lower costs & convenience. Fixing this ultimately will be in the hands of local city councils and/or state legislatures, and it is likely to be a years-long process. (Editorial: Move to somewhere where the future of EVs is not in total denial or at least where you can determine your own usages & priorities of EVSEs and their installation.)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

Imagine not wanting cleaner air and a quieter neighborhood. Yet another reason I will never live in an HOA.

QuietMini, you could build an enclosure to blend in to the neighborhood? Faux birdhouse, ground level utility cabinet, mailbox/little library, trap door, etc. I would not give up. Get several electrician quotes. Good ones will also have ideas.

Btw, isn't the credit still 30% of the cost of materials + labor?

14. DisgruntledSanta

DisgruntledSanta Active Member

30% or $1000 whichever is less.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

15. speednoodle

speednoodle Member

@QuietMini, I feel your frustration. I went through a 5 month back and forth with my HOA on an EVSE installation. My state has a right to charge law, but there was much back and forth and lawyer consultations on the specifics and definitions on the restrictions. I ended up getting 4 different quotes from electricians because they weren't convinced of the inconvenience/cost of the job -- by the end of it we relented a bit to their demands because we'd been worn down and wanted to make sure to get it completed by the end of the year.

I can say now I'm glad we persevered - the convenience of the charger is great and we're well set up for whenever we get another EV. Selling may present some challenges whenever that time comes but I'm hopeful we could find a buyer where the EVSE would be a selling point rather than a detriment.

One big challenge we were up against was we were the first unit to ask for one to be installed - so the board was concerned about precedent and aesthetics and what not. Certainly a headache all the way around.

insightman likes this.