Nissan announcing start of Ariya reservations this week

Discussion in 'Ariya' started by 5DH, Nov 15, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. 5DH

5DH New Member

Exciting stuff, my guess is it'll be part of the LA Auto Show festivities. Although "announcing the start" is not the same as "starting" so I'll be watching my inbox.

Nice to see Nissan following the EV trend of the parent company coordinating the reservations. I want to interact with a dealer as little as possible. I have learned my lesson with others: assuming it's a modest, ~$100 or so fully refundable deposit, jump the heck in line ASAP!

Rather than have dealers order the Ariya at launch, Nissan will take reservations directly from potential customers.

It’s a distribution approach gaining momentum for yet another industry trend: Automakers are struggling to get their retailers enthusiastic about stocking and selling electric vehicles.

Nissan will announce the start of Ariya reservations this week. The Rogue-sized model will be Nissan’s entry into the bustling compact-EV-crossover segment when it goes on sale in the U.S. in the second half of next year.

Early interest has been strong. The Ariya has garnered about 135,000 hand raises from potential customers, according to an update shared with Nissan retailers this month.

https://jalopnik.com/nissan-thinks-the-ariya-is-going-to-do-it-1848057686

TonyInGA likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. 5DH

5DH New Member

Update: I sent a DM to NissanUSA on Twitter. They said they can’t comment but “stay tuned for a an upcoming announcement ;)

Also a friend of a friend works for Nissan in Tennessee and I asked if he has any Intel. He offered a consideration: “some features don’t always become available on the first production months, so you can give yourself additional time/flexibility by waiting to reserve.” I’m not sure what this means exactly. Perhaps additional trims will be available later on? I have never heard of this before. Not sure what features would come later.

4. Inertiaman

Inertiaman New Member

TonyInGA likes this.
  5. pucksave

pucksave Member

been waiting but very disappointed-approx $60k (including delivery fee) to get an AWD--one year from now and 265 mi range by this time next year this tech will be old=not compelling

TonyInGA likes this.
  6. TonyInGA likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. woodsmithnh

woodsmithnh New Member

Yeah, it’s disappointing the prices are this high, limited AWD to one model and not available until Fall 2022. Multiple strikes here Nissan.

TonyInGA and pucksave like this.
  9. TonyInGA

TonyInGA Member

Yeah, same here.

Last night, I read it here, first. And, still nothing from Nissan.

But, did you see,
    ?

10. DJP

DJP Active Member

11. 5DH

5DH New Member

I'm so disappointed, this car was the top of my list, but the price points are $5,000 too high across the board. I spoke to a friend who works at Nissan USA HQ in Tennessee. He basically said if you can be patient, more configurations will come. He thinks the marketing folks are just releasing 4 pre-configured packages for the launch of reservations, and it'll open up a bit more with colors and options in the coming weeks/months. However, I think that also means you won't be getting one in your garage until well into 2023 if you don't reserve now, which is a brutal wait.

Just me speaking, it seems nothing short of foolish to pay $59,000 for this car.

I guess only Kyle has been inside one, but he loved it in the walkaround, then hated on it ever since, so not a super reliable reference point, lol.

I just don't know what they're thinking here. All of the pre-release press was "starting around 40k" and the lowest launch configuration is $46,000? Just baffling.

pucksave and Electra like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Electra

Electra Active Member

I agree, it's priced too high. But, are there any other EVs with 300 miles of EPA range for less than $46,000?

14. 5DH

5DH New Member

Not that I can think of, but Ariya doesn't have EPA range yet. The ranges listed are "based on Nissan internal simulation results." My guess is, at the end of the day, the Ariya's weight will remove the larger battery advantage, and we'll get real world range similar to others in the segment (aka subtract 10-20%). Or it could surprise us... maybe it'll be like Ioniq 5 and range deteriorates significantly at highway speeds.

15. Electra

Electra Active Member

I think Nissan's estimates are spot on compared to the 21 Mach-E which also has an 88 kWh usually capacity. I think the Ariya's weight will be less than the Mach-E's. And it will have about 18% more capacity than the Ioniq 5/EV6, so the range should be more.

16. pucksave

pucksave Member

Well Hyundai Ionic 5 pricing is quite a bit lower than the ariya and it will be available about 9 months earlier. No independent evaluators have even test driven the ariya!..Game, set and match to the Ionic 5.