Do new Mini SE buyers get screwed with new US BBB plan?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by QuietMini, Nov 18, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Reading this article: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/build-back-better-plan-tax-credit-electric-car-buyers/ and it makes me a little nervous. I don’t get my car till March as of now. I get what they’re trying to do here but now those of us that have been looking at available EV’s and aren’t American get screwed? I mean this article even states that as of now not many qualify for the incentives. Especially with waiting for new cars to be built this is probably not going to go as planned the first few years. Not to mention that not everyone likes American cars. Thoughts?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

My understanding is that the BBB bill is still in Congress, and lots of things could happen. You should contact your Congressional represenatives (House & Senate) to either ask them to oppose the bill as a whole (which would leave the current EV tax credits in place) or try to amend the EV provisions of the BBB itself before a vote on the bill, or maybe both. (Trying for an amendment may be tough, since there are lots of complicated, interlaced domestic manufacturing using union labor provisions, 40 kW battery minimums (which a current gen SE cannot meet), etc.)

QuietMini and GvilleGuy like this.
  4. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

The SE looks like it would be a victim of the BBB, for sure. But there are some good provisions in there outside of the painful transition period we are about to go through where certain buyers of good EVs will not get the tax credit they deserve for making the planet greener.

QuietMini likes this.
  5. Torrey

Torrey Active Member

The answer is most likely. The increase from 16 kWh to 40 kWh for max credit of $7500 seems likely to survive negotiations. The lower number is getting obsolete for its intended purpose. The Mini is one of three small BEVs that won’t make the cut along with all of the PHEVs. On the plus side, the new credit will be refundable, which open the benefits to people with lower incomes.

I don’t think the US made or union extras will survive the final negotiations though. So the max will remain at $7500 for all EVs.

QuietMini likes this.
  6. Martha

Martha Member

There was YouTube video of the bearded Tesla guy and he explains BBB program really good for me. My understanding is that for the MINI SE it really does not change with the exception to maybe the end of the 5 year program. MINI will still receive the $7500 as it does now, and of course depending which state you live in the additional incentives. The thing that will probably hurt is that it is only for the first 5 years, not sure if it will continue for the following remaining 5 years of the 10 year BBB program. Since they are pushing for more builds in the US.

Denise C and QuietMini like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Much ado about nothing at this time. That's my opinion. There may be a handful of orders in a year that are affected, and I bet the manufacturer will step up with a short incentive to even things out. If you have an order in now I am willing to bet it wont be affected.

In the future, will the Mini EV be made in China, UK or US? The whole idea of the legislation is move it to the US. Will there be an electric 1 series (my SE is nice, but not nice enough to get rod of my manual 1 series) made in the US next to a Mini? We can ponder that, and bench race the 0-60 of such a car ad nauseam. In the meantime track yourshipment, and enjoy it when it gets here. ,

QuietMini likes this.