2018 Honda Clarity Plug-in -- what charger adapter?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Haineux, Nov 9, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Haineux

Haineux New Member

The car comes with a 110V charger adapter. This is taking me too long to recharge. We are about to hire an electrician to fix a "multitude of woes" and in the process install a new 220V power outlet at the front of the garage to charge the car quickly.

What are the most popular/best chargers, and what kind of electrical socket is required?

If this is in a FAQ, pardon my ignorance. Thanks very much.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. NEMA 14-50 outlet is a common choice.

I was looking at a Lefanev cable. Options are almost limitless, as are opinions.

I’m about to do the wiring myself, as finding an electrician is virtually impossible.

Mowcowbell likes this.
  4. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

FWIW from a pedant... please don't call it 110V. Household circuits in the U.S. are nominally 120V, and are allowed to droop to 114V. 110V is out of spec.

5. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

And it isn't 220v. It's 240v. :)

BTW, the Honda evse will run at 2x speed when connected to 240v power. You just need a custom cable/adapter to do this.

insightman and megreyhair like this.
  6. northof49ev

northof49ev Member

As stated there are a lot of Chargers available. I liked the Grizzl-E because it comes with adjustable output depending on the breaker it is connected to. This was important because I was limited to the supply breaker size. Charger is very well built and comes with a 3 or 5 year replacement warranty and its made in Canada.

John Schwab and Mowcowbell like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Fastermac

Fastermac New Member

I have a Juicebox 40 that is WiFi equipped. Works well. Charges car in just over 2 hours from 0% to 100%. I have it set to start charging at 3 AM using TOU.