OK, I need some kind hot air in my car!

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Kirk McFarland, Oct 25, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Greencarguy

Greencarguy New Member

Me too. Do you happen to know if they are adjustable? My brights seem to have a slight shadow mid way, they seem to be pointing too high almost.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I haven't researched yet to know if they are adjustable.

4. OK one week after I dropped off my car to the MINI dealer. And finding out that it had a hole in the radiator from a stone. No low cooling light came on so I assume our cars do not have that idiot light. It’s looking like there is no replacement radiator anywhere. Week one of QE Moto repair.
    The stone had to hit the ground bounce up and go to the vent hole in the front bumper and he hit the radiator and caused a leak. Amazing what luck I have!

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

upload_2021-11-5_21-42-5.png

6. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

Yes, one can easily adjust the headlights. There is a white plastic set screw atop each lamp assembly. I used mine to lower my beams; they arrived from the factory too high, shining in the eyes of oncoming traffic and illuminating (while on low beam) the roadside signs. Fixed in one minute with only a screwdriver.

GvilleGuy and insightman like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. DisgruntledSanta

DisgruntledSanta Active Member

This is actually a bit disconcerting… I would hope/expect them to have a more robust distribution network, especially for something as simple as a radiator replacement. Should they not have those in stock or at least at a local hub??

9. Greencarguy

Greencarguy New Member

Thanks! It turns out the small shadow I see between my low and high beams is normal.

F14Scott likes this.
  10. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

there are shops that can repair radiators. The dealer techs are nothing more than parts changers.

Since the car will run without a radiator, take it to a radiator repair shop, or have the dealer pull the radiator, and take it to a repair shop. This isn't rocket science.

11. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Normally yes, MINI has parts on hand. I was able to get my 2014 ICE Clubman repaired a few weeks ago the same day, they had a replacement control arm in stock. But SE parts are severely constrained due to newness and popularity and supply chain issues, so a lot of parts are still coming from Germany.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

Especially based on the estimated cost from the dealer for $1300.

14. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Thanks! I will adjust mine. I think they are pointed too high by default.

F14Scott likes this.
  15. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

Adjusting downward would definitely help not blind oncoming traffic but also significantly reduces the illuminated distance in front of the car.

To properly illuminate ~200ft in front of the car, the low beams need to be at approximately 0.7° below horizontal (assuming the headlights are 30" from the ground). One additional degree downward (to 1.7° below horizontal) reduces forward visibility by over 120ft!

2.5ft / tan(0.7deg) - 2.5ft / tan(1.7deg) =120.4ft

GvilleGuy likes this.
  16. I have the exact opposite experience, yesterday while driving the SE, I noticed that only hot air was coming out of the vents on the drivers side but the vents on the passenger side was really cold and my wife was freezing while I was sweating and even if the lowered the dial to 16deg C, it was still hot. The AC LED was on and the centre dial was set to Auto and even after turning it off to manual and increasing the fan and turning off the SE and starting it on again, it was the same. So I called up my dealer and he said that one of the sensors behind the dash was malfunctioning and had to be reprogrammed and for now either I have to man up and drive without complain or open a window and he scheduled me for a service on the 23rd. Good thing my wife turned her vent towards me and we continued the trip in somewhat comfort.

Having said all of that we woke up and continued our road trip and viola the AC vents on my side was working and nice cool air was coming out. Have not told my dealer yet, and will observe tomorrow when we continue our road trip.

17. Ok, no parts for the repair. The parts will be made in Germany, no time frame three weeks in, dealer said it will take some time.

18. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Was the local repair option investigated?

19. In this case with the warranty on the car. It Has’s to be replaced with a new one. And I have found nobody who is even willing to touch to repair the one that is in the car.

20. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Do you at least get a loaner?

21. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

Or maybe a space heater that runs off the cigarette lighter? :p

Glad to hear they're replacing under warranty. I wasn't sure if they would for something that isn't a manufacturing defect.

22. Because it was a road accident and not a defective part. It’s all on my dime. I have borrowed a car from a family member who has a spare.

23. bpschroder

bpschroder Member

What a bummer Kirk. Hopefully you don't have to wait months to get that fixed! I was poking around this thread trying to find the most energy efficient way of heating the car. Auto? A/C on/off. Manual controls?