No stop charging button on Kona control panel

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Maple, Oct 30, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Maple

Maple Member

Today I went a FLO level 2 charging station charging my 2020 Kona. After starting charging I have something else to do need leave immediately. When I tried to stop charging and plug out the plug I found no stop or emergency stop button on FLO level two charger also no stop button on my Kona entertain control panel. I know I can reduce charging limit to stop charging however the lowest limit I can set is 50% but at that time my battery level was 30%. Finally I found my smart phone Bluelink app has a charging stop button. I use Bluelink stopped charging and was able to plug out. Just wondering if no Bluelink app or no cell coverage how can I stop FLO level charging. Might I miss something?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I don’t know what FLO means but if it’s AC you can pause charging by pressing the unlock button on the key fob.

4. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Yea, what Kiwi said .. However when you press the UNLOCK on the FOB, you have to disconnect within 15 secs, or it locks again. Section H, page 18 of the KONA EV Manual explains this combination along with the Button for AUTO/LOCK Modes.

5. Maple

Maple Member

Thanks for the answer. FLO is a big EV charging company which has built more than 45000 charging stations in North America. I have pressed the unlock button on FOB but nothing happened. Looks the unlocked button only works when no charging power. I have tried the unlock on charge-point stations I have to tap my card or press stop button on charge point control panel to stop the charging first then I can un-plug the FOB. Unfortunately FLO charging station has no any button to stop charging even on their smartphones app. Not sure why Kona does not have a stop charging button on its touch panel and have to use blue links to stop charging.

6. Maple

Maple Member

I also tried turn on or off auto- lock button inside Kona but no difference. I guess the design is to make sure your FOB is not unauthorized un-plugged by others but it created some inconveniences if no stop charging button inside your vehicle.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Did you try pulling the plug out of the car? Nothing much "happens" when you press the unlock button, except that the plug is unlocked for some 15 seconds so you have a chance to remove it. An AC charger (Level 2 in N-A) may not react or indicate anything different because the car is still pulling some 0.2-0.5 kW during this pause so that the charge session is not broken in case you were simply only wanting to unlock the doors.

9. Maple

Maple Member

I tried pulling out the plug but not successful. The colour around the charging port was still green. May be this station the plug is malfunctioning?

10. Maple

Maple Member

Re-read the manual and found some useful info. It says you need unlock all door to disconnect the connector that was what I might not try. Almost the same as open the charging port cover you need unlock all doors The manual also has a final solution -manual release button looks this is a common problem. If tried all methods still not successful manual release button under hood is the final solution.

11. Here's the sequence of events, assuming you're currently charging off AC. I tested this just now noting that I have the most-of the-world Type 2 plug. Not sure if there's much difference to the North American/Japanese J1772 except for perhaps having to pull the trigger on removal:

1. You press the "unlock" button on the fob.
    2. The dash charging display changes to read "0.5 kW".
    3. The green ring light around the charge port starts flashing.
    4. The connector is unlocked.
    5. After 15 seconds (approx) if the connector is still in place charging resumes.

Also note if the car is locked you can press the unlock button on the door handle (or interior switch) to get the same result.
    If you're not getting steps 2, 3 and 4 after 1, something is wrong and you should visit the dealer.

The fact that there is a manual release does not imply that this is a "common problem." Most owners who have asked this question over the past three years have simply been unclear on the steps required.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Forgot to add, the “station” is not directly involved in the process of changing the current or possibly even stopping the session. The station only continuously indicates the maximum current to the EV. The EV takes whatever it wants up to that amount. Public chargers may notice that current has dropped to zero but not likely 0.5 kW. If it works at all it’s unlikely to be faulty.

14. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Rapid chargers are *supposed* to have a means to stop charging. Call FLO and complain if their softwware
    doesn't show one.

_H*

15. Maple

Maple Member

Thanks KiwiME Tim94549 and hobbit. Looks more complex than I thought. I have tried on my home level 2 charger. Exactly the same as KiwiMe said when I press the unlock button on plug the light around charging port starting flash green then I have to unlock doors either using fob or inside car doesn’t matter the doors are open already or not then I have 15 S to unplug the plug. However when I tried on another free public level 2 charger it is totally different:as long as I press the unlock button on plug charging stopped and light around charging port becomes white and I can remove the plug doesn’t matter the doors unlocked or locked. As I mentioned The FLO level 2 charger is another story when I press unlock button on the plug the light did not change still solid green. I’ll try next time unlock my car see if I can remove the plug even light around the port is still solid green.
    I’ll contact FLO suggest add stop button on their software app and I still think Kona should have a stop button on its control panel.

16. To be clear the "unlock" command from the fob, door handle button or inside button is all that's required to pause the charging for 15 seconds. Only in the case of the door handle button do the doors need to be locked first since the button only changes the current state of the door locks, i.e. to unlocked. But, in all cases there is no other subsequent action required and the charge plug should now be unlocked for that short period.

When the port light is white it means that the EV is not seeing a charger connected, or if connected the charger is not making itself visible to the EV. The charger must have terminated the session due to the low current draw, under 0.5 kW. That might a specific feature the charger has because it is open to public misuse.

You won't be able to remove the plug while the port is solid green. Just to eliminate the possibility - next time try a double click on the fob's unlock button.

Normally with AC chargers (Level 2 or Mode 2 and 3 as we call it down under) the EV is the boss, per standard J1772 and others derived from that. That's why many home wall chargers don't have any controls. The charger can control what happens (by modulating the CP signal to the EV) but normally it would only indicate the maximum available current to the EV and do nothing else other than provide current (via relay closure) when the EV requests it.

I'd have to agree about the lack of a charge stop button in the EV. It does seem like a puzzling oversight and there have been many questions over the years about how to terminate a charge.

I'll just add that the situation differs somewhat for DC or "fast" chargers. In that case the interplay is more complex and charge sessions are normally ended gracefully by the charger. The EV can terminate a charge session (as it does if you have a dash charge limit set) but the charger sees that as an error and then times out.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
  17. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

I always double-tap the unlock button on the fob. Might not be necessary but it always works?

The issue I see with a "stop charging" button on the car or public charger is there doesn't seem to be any reasonable way to prevent just anyone pressing it to mess with you. You can already use the fob to stop the (Level 1/2) charge any time so an extra button dedicated for the purpose seems like inviting more frustration?

18. The button would of course be "in" the car not outside. Whether it might invite more frustration or not, there have been quite a few newbie questions about how to terminate AC charging and I'm not sure the owner's manual even mentions using the fob. If someone's going to mess with your EV hitting the E-stop seems to be the most popular option.

19. cwerdna

cwerdna New Member

As a US-based BEV driver for over 8 years, with virtually every brand sold/leased in the US of BEV/PHEV at my work, it's dismaying to hear that Hyundai is still putting on ridiculous J1772 charging locks on their cars that presumably give the driver no options.

Prior to '13 Leaf, no US BEV or PHEV had a J1772 charging lock. No Chevy BEVs/PHEVs ever had it either (spanning gen 1 and 2 Volt, Spark EV and Bolt).

On '13 Leaf (and from that point forward), they provided 3 options: LOCK (stay attached like a parasite), AUTO (unlock when done charging) or don't lock. Was a 3 position physical switch on '13 to '17 Leafs then got moved a menu on '18+.

There are numerous other BEVs that don't have a J1772 charging lock. You just press the button on the handle and that's it. I know of https://www.flo.com/. I've never personally seen their equipment, let alone in public in the US.

We'd found that HyunKias, some e-Golfs and BMW PHEVs after the i3 + some others have the stupid stay attached like a parasite behavior which is super annoying in shared charging places (e.g. free public L2 charging and work) where it is fair game to unplug finished cars.

BMW fixed their i3 charging lock behavior mistake w/a Nov 2015 update (search https://www.bmwblog.com/2015/11/22/bmw-i3-software-update-15-11-502-fixes-flaws-adds-features/ for hospitality). But years later, they come out with 3 and 5-series PHEVs that repeat the same mistake! I don't know if any update ever came out for those to fix those before COVID hit.

The stupid extra cycling can cause problems like https://www.myvwegolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=839.

20. bengineer

bengineer New Member

The options are configurable in the settings. Being able to set the lock to permanently turned on is great for at least two situations: using the 120V charger when visiting somewhere, as it's not affixed at the wall; and for a charger in your driveway or similar where it is hypothetically possible to unplug your car and plug in to a different, unauthorized car to begin charging.

The default behaviour is to lock while charging, and unlock at the end of the charge or when the door is unlocked, which has never been an issue for me.

cwerdna likes this.
  21. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

I helped with an online event a while back in which one of tne other people staffing it said that someone
    had *stolen* her EVSE. Outdoor 14-50 plug-in setup, token wall mount or just sitting there, similar to my
    setup. So I'm glad the plug locks in, and I roll the whole shebang up and take it inside when I'm not
    using it. It's a big klunky GoPlug [OpenEVSE form factor] but I consider it a portable unit.

_H*

22. cwerdna

cwerdna New Member

Thank you for the correction. I see that on page H18 of https://owners.hyundaiusa.com/content/dam/hyundai/us/myhyundai/manuals/glovebox-manual/2019/kona-ev/2019-Kona-EV-OM.pdf.

We definitely had problems w/multiple HyunKia models (EVs and PHEVs) holding onto the J1772 plug like a parasite at work after charging completed. Perhaps some of them had the choice but weren't aware. Right now, office attendance is so low, it's a non-issue. Many of our J1772 plugs are not being used at all on a weekday.

Yes, I've head of stolen EVSEs on MyNissanLeaf, including someone having their Leaf broken into, where the thief stole the EVSE in their hatch area.