Charge in Time Slot Fail

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by JoeC, Nov 4, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Agree - it just depends on the local electric provider. Duke Power in my area has a beta EV charging programs that pays $1,000 over a year for not charging at their peak times. (Only a 6 hour window per day where I can't charge, so it's easy to participate and save money)

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Pete MINI ES

Pete MINI ES New Member

I'm glad I can charge my car at work.

4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

My electric company has EV metering (second meter) where they charge 4¢/kWh off-peak (nights/weekends) and 14¢/kWh peak. Regular electricity is 12¢/kWh. So I save a lot by charging during the off-peak times. In October I charged about 400 kWh for a cost of about $45, which is what I see every month. Much nicer than the $300+/month for gasoline I used to pay.

Pete MINI ES and insightman like this.
  5. Cindy B

Cindy B Member

I second putting in a Level 2 charger. The 110V slow charger really won't work out if you're driving everyday. I should add it is normally very easy and simple to install the 220V outlet for the charger yourself. -- No electrician needed. There are excellent installation videos on Youtube. I put mine in for $91.00 in materials from Lowes in an afternoon. It would have been even less, but I bought extra wire just to be on the safe side. The cheapest electrician's bid I got was $635.00!

6. Zen

Zen New Member

Spring for a level two charger. You will have this car for few years and then probably another EV. The convenience of plug and charge will pay off in the long run.

insightman likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. JoeC

JoeC New Member

Thanks again, F14Scott. Yes, I think that two linked EVSEs will be the best option in the short-term given my power constraints. It looks like Tesla, JuiceBox, and Wallbox all have power sharing between boxes. I am leaning toward the JuiceBox as it has an outlet option (which Tesla does not have) and doesn't require wiring between boxes - they speak via wifi (unlike Tesla and Wallbox).

Given that we don't drive more than 20 miles per day on each car, have a long low cost charging window (midnight-3p), and are nearby lots of fast chargers (for the very rare occasion when we need a lot of juice quickly), I wonder whether running both off of the existing 30A circuit would be worth trying. This should require the least electrical work. (If we find that the charging times are too long, we could search for ways to upgrade the breaker to 40A or 50A.) I could simply have the electrician split the wire between the 30A breaker and outlet (or run a 2nd wire of the breaker???) and then run the new branch over the ceiling to the other side of the garage and then to the outside, where I will have them install a new outlet and the 2nd EVSE; this would charge the MINI. The first/master EVSE would come off the 14-30 outlet in the garage and charge the Model 3 via a J1772 to Tesla adapter. If we ever upgrade our service or make other changes, hopefully this setup is still useful, allowing us to charge the two cars off the single circuit.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
  9. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

Now that I see all your charging variables, I'm going to do a 180. At 20 miles each, per day, and with your huge cheap-charge window, you should use your 30A for one car and a standard 120V Level 1 for the other. A Level 1 will put 50+ miles into our EVs per night, and your 30A/240V will add 200+. So, without spending a dime, you have 6x the capacity you need.

New recommendation: go with what you have for a couple months and see if you really need to do any upgrades.

And enjoy the great cars!

10. JoeC

JoeC New Member

Very good. Thanks again for all the help, F14Scott. Much appreciated!

11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Double ratfarts: Tesla may have never really had a J1772 EVSE. This article says Tom Moloughney ordered one before the product page became empty, but it has not been delivered. Also, just like everything else Tesla, the company has raised the prices for their non-J1772 Wall Connectors.

Furthermore, Tesla is sending letters telling foot-draggers they can't wait for congress to reinstate tax credits for the Tesla cars they ordered long ago to lock in the price. By December 2nd, they must arrange for delivery or their orders will be canceled and their deposits fully refunded.

F14Scott likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Thats because the moment that tax credits are reinstated, Tesla will jack up the price.

GetOffYourGas likes this.