winter airport parking

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Bill W., Nov 6, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Bill W.

Bill W. New Member

I will be airport parking in the winter .... -10°C (15°F)....for 3 weeks.
    I will ensure that the Kona is fully charged to 100%.
    Are there any concerns about starting after the 3 weeks?
    Has anyone on this forum experienced this?
    Thanks.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I don't think you should let it sit with 100% SOC.
    I'd do 80 max, possibly 70%

My car has been sitting at a dealer for a couple months now and lost only 2-3% SOC over that time.

4. Bill W.

Bill W. New Member

My biggest concern is the effect of the cold on the batteries. Can you elaborate on why you wouldn't recommend the 100% charge over that time period?

5. Because it's bad for a lithium ion battery to be sitting at a high state of charge for extended periods of time. It accelerates degradation.

KiwiME likes this.
  6. Bill W.

Bill W. New Member

Many thanks Esprit1st!
    I will ensure 80% then for its 3 week sleep.

Esprit1st likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. NRH

NRH Active Member

Not a problem.

9. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

I'd leave it more around 60% if I could swing it, and turn offl that "fuse switch" in the drivers-side fuse block.
    That should kill most of the "standby" systems that drain the 12V. Be prepared to use your metal key and
    possibly silence the alarm when you return.

_H*

10. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

..and pack a 12V lithium booster pack, just in case

11. Ginginova

Ginginova Active Member

And a towing truck. :p
    Man, are we mean these days. :D

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Bill W.

Bill W. New Member

Thanks to all....I do have a lithium booster pack (from my ICE days) so I'm not really worried about getting stranded.
    Just wondered if anyone has gone through the winter parking thing and survived to tell the story. ;)

14. My car was at the dealership, undriven and uncharged, for a the month of November. It would have had about 80% charge at the start. It lost 1% in the month.

Bill W. likes this.
  15. I have, your main traction battery is going to be fine, unlike Teslas the Kona experiences very little if any parasitic drainage over long periods of inactivity. Now you 12 volt battery is a completely different story, hence the suggestions about 12 volt lithium booster and knowing how to use your mechanical key in case it goes flat. That said the new DC to DC software algorithm seems to be keeping the 12 volt batteries happier for longer periods and you probably will be just fine.

Bill W. likes this.
  16. Bill W.

Bill W. New Member

Thanks Wild and Apu...good info!