Kona Electric 21 not charging

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Simon Goodfellow, Nov 5, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Simon Goodfellow

Simon Goodfellow New Member

After 6 months and 24k my Kona Electric ceased accepting a fast charge. I tried 4 different chargers. A couple of days later it wouldn't accept a 240V charge at home, charged on 120V only. No warning lights or messages. The bluelink monthly health report said everything was good.

Took it to the dealer yesterday and they reported "found history codes C183F0 and C18200. Poor connection to fast charger, once codes are present feature is disabled. Cleared codes and charging works"

So far Fast and 240V charging have indeed worked.

I am stunned that such an important feature of the car could be disabled by the car with no message or warning light.

Wondering if anyone else has had this happen and if so did it repeat?

Does the car have an OBD socket and can I clear the codes myself? Asking because 50% of our travel was across Canada and back. We are likely to do this again and I want to be equipped to fix the problem temporarily if is occurs in darkest Northern Ontario. Getting out to a Hyundai dealer using 120V charging only would take a lifetime.

Sent from my BISON Pro using Tapatalk

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I'd be curious to know if they inspected the physical charger, pins, socket, wiring etc. It sounds intermittent and I'd want to rule out a reason for a recurrence.

4. Simon Goodfellow

Simon Goodfellow New Member

They did some kind of inspection, but probably not much. I took a look myself and couldn't see any issues.

I often use Petro-Can fast chargers and do often fail to get an initial connection. The standard support line solution is to hold the charger handle up a little, the clip to the socket isn't very positive.

I could avoid their chargers but they are free for me until April 30 2022 so very tempting.

Sent from my BISON Pro using Tapatalk

Wildeyed likes this.
  5. I don't recall anyone reporting this issue on any global forum over the last three years. The dealer's service tech might be able to advise if a generic OBD dongle can clear these codes.

6. NRH

NRH Active Member

As an emergency, on-the-road fix, you might try disconnecting the 12v Battery for a few minutes. I'd bet that will clear the codes.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

... and maybe giving the plug a shot of contact cleaner ... I'm thinking this is going to become a more
    common problem as public chargers start to age.

_H*

9. I can't say I have had this experience. It does have an OBD port just below your left knee, not sure if a cheap generic OBD scan tool will read/erase the codes that are probably being generated by the BMS module but maybe.