Selling my clarity

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by mattheo0118, Oct 27, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. mattheo0118

mattheo0118 Member

Will be selling my 2020 Clarity Touring.

With the used car market the way it is, Vroom offered me $28,587 for my Clarity with 11k miles. Bought it late last year for only $26,500 +TTL - tax credits. I'm coming out $6k ahead.

Going to drive my Honda Element around for a few years and look to buy another car (maybe BEV) once this supply issue fixes itself. Going to miss pumping 5 gallons every month or so.

Teslawannabe and Clarity_Newbie like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Clarity_Newbie

Clarity_Newbie Active Member

Not bad pocketing 6k.

Good luck.

Louis Nisenbaum likes this.
  4. I was offered 28,800 for a 2018 touring but only have 7500 miles on her..
    For mileage, comfort, and adequate performance, can’t beat her for $20,000 more!
    Mileage is Covid related.. just staying home.

mattheo0118 and insightman like this.
  5. Mine is a 2020 with less than 5,000 miles. Net of all discounts, rebates and credits, I paid a little over $20,000 including TTL a little over a year ago. I have no intention of selling for any price!

insightman and mattheo0118 like this.
  6. mattheo0118

mattheo0118 Member

Nice! I've noticed that Clarity are definitely worth more outside of CA.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. mattheo0118

mattheo0118 Member

Yeah the purchase price of the Clarity was hard to beat in late 2020.. I paid $19,000+TTL for mine after the federal tax credit. I didn't qualify for the additional $1,500 from the CA clean air thing. The Clarity was the best car money could buy at the time.

Glad you're enjoying your car. I couldn't pass up the being ahead ~$6k+ for a car I didn't need or am fully in love with. I actually enjoy drive my Honda Element more than the Clarity for some odd reason.

9. AlAl

AlAl Active Member

Check CarMax, if you have one near you. By far the best offer I received (27,400 for 18 touring w/ 19kmi)

10. mattheo0118

mattheo0118 Member

That's a great price. CarMax only offered me $26.2k. Vroom was the best. If I took the car to NorCal or out of state, the prices are higher.

11. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

CarMax offered me $25,300 for my 2018 Honda Clarity Base with only 12,500 miles in Oklahoma. That would put me at paying $2K for driving the Clarity for almost 3 years. What would I buy to replace it? A 2022 VW ID.4 Pro S AWD.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Well it lools like you would be pushing $50K with that one...
    You could litterally have bought two Clarity's for the price of one of these.
    Of course the whole market is whacked right now. I'm very happy to not be in the car market (new or used), hopefully until after the smoke settles !

14. mattheo0118

mattheo0118 Member

That's a good price, doesn't seem like you drive alot. Will you be keeping the Clarity? I've been testing a lot of EVs. For the money, it's hard to beat a Tesla Y. Tesla feels like it's 2 generations ahead of the competition.

15. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The Y is certainly head of previous generations of Teslas that didn't include a heat pump. I guess if one lives in southern climes, a heat pump is an unnecessary expense, but it's a valuable range-extender for BEVs in the northern regions. I wish our Clarity PHEV had a heat pump like our electric MINI Cooper does.

mattheo0118 likes this.
  16. S L .

S L . Active Member

I’m in los angeles, i drove to san diego (2 hrs away) and got $2,000 higher offer. The location is a big factor in pricing.

mattheo0118 likes this.
  17. mattheo0118

mattheo0118 Member

Good idea..I didn't think to change the zip code to see what price I'll get. Oh well.. next time.

They picked up the car yesterday and confirmed that my loan is being paid off and the equity will be deposited into my bank. VROOM's process is very simple.

It's been fun owning 3 Clarities thoughout the 3+ years.. sad it's gone but happy I don't have a $500 car payment anymore

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
  18. S L .

S L . Active Member

i also had a 2018, 2019 and 2020 clarity…

19. mattheo0118

mattheo0118 Member

Nice.

I had a 2018 base /2018 Touring (got it for the power seats) /2020 Touring (got it because I essential broke even and got a new car)

20. Kailani

Kailani Member

I recently went to the Honda dealer to get my 7.5K miles service on my 2021 Clarity and while in the showroom I noticed they had no new cars. When I left the service tech left a brochure in the car which said the dealership was offering to pay up to $1500 over book value for one's used car. I returned two days later only to be told them my Clarity was an orphan, and the sales manager told me he had no interest in making me an offer. Instead, they suggested I go get a quote from CarMax. Lo and behold, Carmax offered me $32,000, $400 less than what I paid for the car brand new in February. I put 8000 miles in the car and decided to sell because I too am looking to buy a Tesla model Y. I put in an order and have to wait until next June but I figured I would drive my old truck and save the car payment and insurance from my Honda Clarity to be put toward the Tesla. With the $6k in equity and an expected $8 - 10,000 incentive from the government, I'll have a decent down payment and a much nicer car in the Model Y. Don't get me wrong, the Clarity was a good way to dip one's toe into the EV pool. I leased my first Clarity in 2018 and replaced it with my 2021 touring model because it was the best value at the time. But Honda let us down--I'm wondering when they'll come out with their EV; meanwhile, Tesla is eating everyone's lunch as the competition prevaricate.

21. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Congrats on getting such a great deal on your Clarity!

Like you, my wife and I bought our 2018 Clarity to test the EV waters. It was the logical next car after three Honda Insights in 19 years. We found charging at home and avoiding gas stations is wonderful.

Now we also have an electric MINI Cooper, too. We've kept the Clarity as our long-distance car, but we keep canceling our long-distance trips due to pandemic fears. Now the Clarity sits in the garage most of the time because both my wife and I always choose our MINI EV first. It's perfect as an urban fun car, but even if it could go 400 miles on a charge, we'd still take our comfy Clarity for long trips. Maybe next year.

The price of Tesla cars seems to go up every week. Does your order state that it locks in the price? Will improvements made to the Model Y between now and June will be used to justify a higher price than when you placed your order? In yesteryear, you could have purchased 2 Clarity PHEVs for the price of today's Model Y. Perhaps your long wait will turn into a good thing if the government changes its policy and again offers tax credits for Tesla vehicles by June.

22. Kailani

Kailani Member

Insightman, I know you've been a long time member of this forum and to see that your Clarity sits most of the time now was surprising to read! As for the Model Y, I did indeed put a $250 down payment which locks in my price. They are quite expensive and that is why I chose to return back my Honda and capture the payment and insurance (a combined $600 approximately) and bank that for my Tesla. The demand for Teslas far exceeds supply and I do believe the price will continue to climb, particularly because of the tax credit which Tesla gets to partake of. If that happens I might very well flip my reserved Tesla for whatever comes down the pike six months later. The color I want is not yet available, crimson red, which is rumored to be used first in the Berlin factory and then eventually in the Austin factory; however, the 2022 Model Y is said to be a completely different car than when it came out just two years ago. As one reviewer put it, Tesla has combined 50 years of changes (that you would see from a typical automaker) into two. Tesla keeps innovating and improving its cars, many of the changes provided via software updates. Honda, on the other hand, seems to have gotten stuck in the mud. The Clarity was a great car for what I needed at the time but it was always a transition model between ICE and the EV world.

insightman likes this.
  23. B39077ED-6652-4386-8C42-E5FCDAF617AC.jpeg CNET reported that there have been 8 price increases this year. The Y now costs $17K more that it did a year ago. They’ll need to exercise caution so as not to price the car right out of the, as written, incentive program. It’s now at $61K, and I reckon a few options could put it over $69.