OK, I need some kind hot air in my car!

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Kirk McFarland, Oct 25, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. It's getting cold, and my car only blows cold air HELP. I keep it in garage and charge inside. I set the climate but still cold. Is it time for service?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. dotori

dotori Member

Kirk McFarland likes this.
  4. I have alot of cold air, good A/C, no heat.

5. TripleD

TripleD Active Member

Thinking you better have the dealer check it. Ours gives both cold and heat here in Denver.

6. QE Moto is in the garage every night, no leaks on the floor, could the car be ship with out antifreeze? Should the dealer check it? and After 7000 mile could this damage anything, other than no heat only cool air?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

Assuming you've tried all of the HVAC settings and turning the car on/off, I would say make an appointment ASAP.

Kirk McFarland likes this.
  9. Going to get service first thing tomorrow.

10. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

The SE has both a resistive heater and a heat pump in a much more complex system than an ICE car.

*All of the below is based on my assumption that the HVAC system is relatively similar to the i3

When it's mildly cold (about some temperature around 40F) the car uses the heat pump which is the same thing as the AC compressor but with different refrigerant routing.

When it's super cold, the heat pump is no longer effective so the car uses the resistive heater. This isn't just a hot thing with air blowing across it, it's actually heating up coolant which then heats the cabin and battery.

No heat without any error codes is most likely some sort of bad control, probably because a sensor is reporting incorrect information.

Out of curiosity, have you looked at the reported outside air temperature displayed on the dash? Is that number correct?

Do you get no heat out of both sides of the dual zone climate control? Or is maybe the passenger side warm?

NextEv likes this.
  11. Carsten Haase

Here's the system layout in heating mode:
    SmartSelect_20211027-191630_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

There are two separate loops, one with refrigerant and one with coolant.

This is the same diagram in cooling mode:
    Screenshot_20211027-191605_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. polyphonic

Just want to say that I enjoy your posts immensely. It's great to learn a bit about the technology that drives these vehicles.

14. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Seems like another occasion to post this photo of all the plumbing that's under the SE's hood.

upload_2021-10-27_23-27-29.png

15. No heat on either side, no heat to de-fosters, and no coolant in tank. I hope it has not done damage to the car. Thank you for the great info it help me understand

16. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Can you scare up a technical document on the headlights? :) I would really like to know more about them.

insightman likes this.
  17. Carsten Haase

Please update us on what the dealer says!

Most (all?) modern cars have a coolant level sensor that will show a warning on the dash if the coolant is low so it seems unlikely that it's past the low mark (may be hard to see though).

18. Carsten Haase

I've looked a bit but most technical docs are either for marketing or mechanic training. At best I may be able to find something about aiming/leveling or calibration but probably not much else about our non-matrix headlights...

Maybe someone could suction cup a GoPro to them and watch them work :)

GvilleGuy likes this.
  19. Dealer said "hole in radiator core from a rock" it will take some time to get one. Our cars have two different ones. There is one in Germany and the other one there is none. Guess on cost $1300. No light for low coolant or service. I have the whole car rapped and still rock gets me, bad luck.

20. polyphonic

Did they at least send you a photo of the damage?

21. Yes they did, the rock had to bounce up from the road and into the upper vent of the car. Is it possible? Yes the roads I drive to work there are a lot of truck howling conctruction equipment and metrial. That way i got it rapped.

22. polyphonic

Certainly sounds possible to me. The underside of the car is well protected, but we have an active grill shutter which could leave it exposed when open. It's unfortunate that they can't keep better control over their construction materials!