Right-angle charge adapter?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by endquote, Oct 24, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. endquote

endquote Active Member

My SE’s parking spot at home is such that the passenger side will be quite close to a wall, and I don’t think I’ll be able to insert the charging plug while it’s parked there.

Has anyone seen a right-angle adapter that would go into the port on the car, and expose a port to the rear that I could then plug into?

I’ve done some searching but it either does’t exist (quite likely) or I can’t guess the right keywords to search on.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. endquote

endquote Active Member

Another way to go would be to get a J1772 extension cord, plug it in to the car before I park with nothing connected to the other end, park, then connect the other end to the charger.

But I know you can’t drive while plugged into the charger. Can you drive if something’s plugged into the charge port that isn’t receiving any current?

4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

The SE detects when the charge port is open and won't let you drive. You may have to consider backing in to park, putting the charge port on the side away from the wall.

5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

My SE's charge-port door extends 8 inches from the fender flare when it's closed against my J1772 connector. The unfolded side-mirror extends about 5 inches from the side of the passenger door and about 2 inches when folded. I hope that info helps.

upload_2021-10-24_12-0-12.png

6. endquote

endquote Active Member

Thanks so much, that is actually hugely helpful. I think it just might work out, though it’ll be a little awkward and I’ll need to park carefully.

Backing in isn’t an option in this case, this is inside a garage with two other cars. I’ll share the setup when I can.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Puppethead

My apologies, I was incorrect. I tested this today and the SE does warn you if the charge port is open, but you can still drive. It's only when plugged in you can't move.

9. endquote

endquote Active Member

That makes sense.

I wonder if you have a portable charger plugged into the car, but not plugged into the wall, if you can drive. I'm guessing not (and of course generally you wouldn't want to).

10. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Park your SE in the middle and run the cable over the outside car when you need to charge?

11. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

endquote likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

That Tesla Tap J1772 extension cable appears to use the same Duosida connector I have (or one the same size and shape), so it wouldn't provide any additional clearance between the SE's connector and the wall. I guess if the problem in @endquote's garage is that parking in the middle would put the SE too far from the EVSE, an extension cable could help.

polyphonic likes this.
  14. endquote

endquote Active Member

For context, this is my garage. I'm P3. It's 152"x74". The SE is 152"x63" with mirrors folded, so it's tight.

My charging outlet is where it says "trash bins".

A 2-door MINI has parked there before, by backing into the garage and then forward into the space. I think I need to do the same.

If I need ~10" to open the charge port and charge, I can just barely fit. I'm thinking of getting some car stops to help guide me into the right spot.

Attached Files:

insightman likes this.
  15. cmdonnell

cmdonnell Member

For what it's worth the drawing shows your spot at 83 inches. So you should have 9 more inches than you're allocating for.

My initial thought looking at the picture was "just park a few more inches away from the wall" since there are no hard obstacles. I postulated that you must live in the most uptight building ever and have to stick to your space. Then I noticed you were quoting a smaller space, so even if it is the most uptight building ever then you should at least get what they gave you on the drawing so this should stand up in practice even if it's truly the most uptight building ever. (Now, if it's the most unfair building ever then that's a different story!)

endquote and polyphonic like this.
  16. endquote

endquote Active Member

The drawing is 83", I signed a thing saying 74", but real life is more like ~72"... in any case it's a tight squeeze.

Parking a little further away from the wall would mean I'm blocking some portion of the garage door opening, which I think the MINI in that photo is also doing. Maybe it's fine.

The building isn't uptight at all, and as long as everyone can get in and out, no one's going to look at the contracts.

17. Puppethead

I tested with my Level 1 cable plugged into the car, not powered. SE will not let you drive with any cable plugged in.

endquote likes this.
  18. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I really understand the drawing, photo and all the comments. But, for what it is worth, it seems that you may be too worried more about the side wall clearance to open/close the charging port door and then plug in the J1772 and then possibly having to block some of the garage door opening. But what about parking where the MINI is shown in the photo, but don't hug the front wall too closely so as allow the "rear-end" of the MINI to protrude enough to fully open the charging door, etc. into the "trash bin" space (where you indicated your charging outlet will be anyway)? That way, there is no worry about partially blocking the garage entryway, and at least from the images you posted (drawing & photo) it would seem to be the better option.

endquote likes this.
  19. endquote

endquote Active Member

Thanks very much, that's about what I expected.

Yes, I was considering that as well. However I think that the distance from the bumper to the charge port is about three feet, and I think backing up that far might make it difficult for the P2 car to get out. I'll have to try it. Worst case, I park it that way when charging at night and move it up when done.

Thanks for all the measurements and ideas!

20. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

For what it may be worth, the garage drawing does show that your P3 parking space does extend down to about 1/2 of the "trash bin" space (however much that may be in real life), so hopefully that positioning will in the end work for both you and the P2 car.

21. Puppethead

If I read the diagram correctly, you may find backing in the SE might work. With the backup camera, obstacle sensors, and mirror tilt it's been the easiest car I've ever owned for backing into areas. Oh, except for needing to crawl out the passenger side because of the wall. So maybe not an option.

22. endquote

endquote Active Member

I've made this more confusing by posting the drawing, which is actually wrong. The real space is more like what's shown here. It's defined by the edge of the garage door on one side, and that "trash bins" wall on the other. This is officially about 152"x74".

garage-drawing-markup.png spot-markup.jpeg

Yes, I think that's worth trying. But then the charge port will be on the opposite side, right by the garage door. Which might be ok if I get an extension.

joshf2k likes this.
  23. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

You may have to do that regardless, don't think you will get the driver's door open enough to get in/out if you back the whole way into the spot. I have a tough time with 18-20 inches of clearance, but then I may have a wider body. Watch out for the fire extinguisher. Fold the mirrors in. :)