Chip tuning

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Fredrik Lidén, Oct 19, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. polyphonic likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I wonder how the PedalBox deals with the SE's different driving modes? Does it ignore whether you're in Green+ vs Sport modes? How much more aggressive is it than the SE's Sport mode? Does it activate full acceleration when the accelerator is pressed a quarter-inch?

This sentence on the website makes me wonder if the PedalBox somehow turns off regen braking:
    The PedalBox improves the standard preprogrammed gas pedal characteristic of the manufacturer. This means that there are no more moments of deceleration.

I don't like that the company confuses HP with PS, claiming the SE produces 184 HP.

4. As I understand it the regen function is not affected, only the mapping of the accelerator pedal:
    upload_2021-10-19_16-50-42.jpeg
    The blue curve marked OFF should correspond to the default setting ("Mid") and I would think that the Sport-Plus is a much more rapid response than the "Sport" setting... We will see - can't wait to try it out!

5. upload_2021-10-19_16-59-21.png
    Picture from the official Mini web site in Germany
    https://www.mini.de/de_DE/home/range/electric/models-and-options.html
    I guess the use of Metric Horse Power (PS, or DIN hp) is often confused with the SAE bhp which is slightly lower ( 0.9864 times 184 = 181.5 bhp )

6. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

I actually beta tested one of these on my old Leaf. It does not turn off regen. What it does is smooth out the bumps caused by micromovements in your foot. Imagine driving down the road and hitting a pothole. Your foot obviously moves, causing acceleration/deceleration you didn't intend. The same thing happens naturally even on smoother roads. In my personal testing, I found their product gave me about 9% improvement.

*I have no financial interest in this company or product, I was just a beta tester.

insightman likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

9. insightman

I don't believe the accelerator pedal is what activates the brake lights, so I'd guess the PedalBox would have no effect on then they're illuminated.

10. insightman

I'm even more disappointed that BMW/MINI continues to confuse the two measurement systems. They have engineers who know 135 kW equals 181.038 hp.

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. GetOffYourGas

Unfortunately, a while my Joule is the same as your Joule, my horse may be weaker than your horse. Horsepower was never a good thing to standardize on in the first place.

13. insightman

People cling to the standards they grew up with (which is why metric measurement failed in the US), but it's the blatant mislabeling of PS as HP that bugs me.

14. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

To be pedantic, that's joule, not Joule. :)

In the SI system, the names of base or derived units are not capitalized. The abbreviations for such units aren't either, except 1) if the unit is named after an individual (e.g., W for watts, named after James Watt), or 2) L for liter (to avoid confusion of a lowercase l with the numeral 1).

(Note that in the SI system, temperature is measured in degree kelvin (K). Celcius is not an SI unit, and C is reserved as an abbreviation for coulomb.)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    GetOffYourGas likes this.
  15. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Ha! This brings to mind the glaring error in Back to the Future, when Doc Brown mispronounces "gigawatts" near the end.

16. GetOffYourGas

Yeah, I'm getting older and it has been almost two decades since I graduated college. Some of these things are a little fuzzier to me now.

Although, in the spirit of being pedantic, kelvin is an absolute scale and therefore is not referred to as in "degrees". Water freezes at 273 K (ok, 273.15K), not 273 degree K.

17. CuriousGeorge

You are correct, fine sir. I yield to your pedantry. :)

18. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

Me thinks too many science grads have ended up in literature. At least it’s not the other way around!

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

19. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Prescott_Joule

20. It is said that the British are going metric ... inch by inch! :)

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  21. Just got a message that the Pedal Box I ordered has arrived.

polyphonic likes this.
  22. CuriousGeorge