Bug or did I miss the memo? - EV mode not working properly after ICE kicks in unexpectedly

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by su_A_ve, Oct 13, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

I definitely believe this is a bug.

I noticed that when ICE kicks in by it's own due to either a demand from flooring it or by attempting regen right after having batteries full, The power line changes to white and never returns to blue, even when the car switches to EV mode.

The car also behaves more like HV mode and a subtle acceleration kicks ICE again. The car never switches back to EV mode even after 20 minutes (my commute time). If I switch to HV, the blue bar comes in while in EV mode and turns to white, but if I then turn off HV mode, the white bar comes back and never turns blue even if the car shows EV. Only way out is to power off and back on.

I know we mentioned before about brake regen right after a full charge will force ICE in order to dissipate heat, or if you floor it and ICE kicks in, or after a certain period the car feels it needs to kick in ICE, the engine would warm up but then go off.

Am I missing something? Is this a bug?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

I have not experienced where it would not go back to full EV after call it 5 or 6 minutes

jdonalds likes this.
  4. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

I have not experienced this either... There are times (after what seems like a routine maintenance ICE run) where it remains white for what seems like a long time, but it has always returned to blue for me. I'm guessing it has been as long as 10 miles / 10 minutes or some such.

5. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

I noticed the same thing a few times. Car would run in EV mode even when there was no blue line. Eventually, the blue bar will come back without restarting the car. I couldn't figure out the logic so I gave up.

6. Naughtysauce

Naughtysauce Member

Same thing happened to me until someone suggested to switch it to Econ mode. Worked in pure EV ever since as long as I don't floor it past the detent.

insightman likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Naughtysauce

Naughtysauce Member

Also, when's was the last time you used the ICE? I know the car is programmed to burn off gas so it doesn't go stale since some people will plug in every day and never use the ICE for extended periods of time.

9. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

Not this - I use ICE for a bit every few weeks. And like I said it happens when it kicks in after a demand (flooring it) or to release energy after a full charge. Been able to reproduce it but I guess my 20 minute commute is not enough to see the change back to blue.

10. Naughtysauce

Naughtysauce Member

Very odd, the Econ mode is what did it for me, my one way commute to work is 4 miles so I hated seeing it come on every morning. Now it doesn't come on as long as the car is in Econ. Plus I never push it past the detent. Good luck.

jdonalds likes this.
  11. dnb

dnb Active Member

If you use the energy display on the infotainment system I've noticed that even if the speedometer still shows white it will switch back to EV only after a few minutes, and then few minutes later usually back to all blue.

Also make sure to run econ mode which offers a "stop" point on the peddle which makes it far harder to accidentally trip gas mode. I usually trip mine from over regen as I start my trip from the top of a hill.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. JCA

JCA Active Member

I don't think it's a bug -- this is the "system check" as mentioned in the manual -- telltale sign is the power bar remaining white while EV appears and the engine is off. I've seen it cycle on and off in 3-5 minute intervals for up to 20 minutes before finally going back to a blue bar.

I think they have it run every few weeks, sometimes when you kick the engine on anyway (accelerating past the blue and some of the other scenarios that turn the engine on), and sometimes it just starts on its own. My 2019 seemed to do a system check on its own if you didn't otherwise run the engine after 3 weeks; my 2020 doesn't seem to do that as often but my driving patterns are so different and so much less now that it's hard to tell.

14. Dan J

Dan J New Member

This isn't a bug. The car will stay in this mode until the engine runs enough to get up to operating temperature or sufficient time passes without the engine turning back on. At that point, the blue line will return. I've noticed that while in this white line mode, the engine seems more likely to come back on.

15. Phil_Meyers

Phil_Meyers Active Member

Mine takes forever to go back to blue, but I don't worry about it.