New Owner Escape Plug In

Discussion in 'Ford' started by Hot Tamale, Oct 17, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Hot Tamale

Hot Tamale New Member

Hello Gang,

Just bought this beauty yesterday!

I don't see much activity regarding our nifty Escape PHEVs yet but im hoping to generate some good discussion.

First question: what is the best available level 2 charger for PHEV?

Thanks Greg

Attached Files:

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    Cindy B likes this.
  4. aamyotte

aamyotte Active Member

Tom Moloughney does a review of the Pacifica PHEV on his Youtube channel. In the review he says that with a EVSE that handles level 2 charging it is really handy if you do multiple errands throughout the day. Charging faster gives you a full battery charge everytime you leave the house meaning you may not need the ICE at all during the day.

Does the cable that comes with the Escape come with 120V plug only or does it have a 240V adapter as well? The Mach-e plug that comes with the vehicle comes with both ends.

Cindy B likes this.
  5. marshall

The Pacifica is a Chrysler minivan product.

The reason there hasn't been much chatter about the Escape PHEV is that it's new to North America Ford dealers (about two to three months), limited stock, this web site is dominated by Canadian and American viewers, and that the RAV prime overshadows it.

It's called the Ford Kuga in Europe if one wants to see videos of reviews.

6. aamyotte

aamyotte Active Member

I know the Pacifica is a Chrysler minivan. What I was trying to note is that charging on level 2 benefits over level 1 if the vehicle is used multiple times a day.

SThomas219 likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Hot Tamale

Hot Tamale New Member

Hi Everyone,

The Escape was a MOSTLY easy choice for us.

First off, we can't buy a RAV4 Prime in Washington State, nor can we buy a Santa Fe Plug in, or the Tuscon Plug in when it arrives. Pacifica is unnecessary for us and the Outlander is unavailable for a while.

I could go down to Portland and buy the Rav4 or the Santa Fe, but the Portland dealers were reluctant to include the Washington State sales tax incentive which saved us $1700 off the bottom line when buying the Escape! That’s in addition to the $6800 Federal tax credit.

The top end fully loaded Escape Titanium had most everything we wanted. Would be nice to have the Rav4 HP and slightly longer range but this Escape was available at standard MSRP and we jumped on it!

The Escape comes with a nice 120v charger. No issues charging the 2 nights I’ve owned it. I got about 41 miles on one charge today to and from work.

I am still toying with the heater on electric mode. I’ll give you a report later.

Also, the City of Tacoma is offering a $600 rebate for the purchase of a level 2 charger if a 240v outlet is installed by an electrician. I’m definitely on board with that and it would be foolish to pass it up!

Thanks for the link.

Greg

Mattsburgh, Cindy B and SThomas219 like this.
  9. SThomas219

SThomas219 Active Member

I will be following this. My wife loves her Escapes (we are on our third Escape lease with a 2019) so am interested in bringing her along with EV charging with a PHEV. She is getting more comfortable with the Mach-e but sill a bit leery.

Before the Mach-e, I had a Honda Clarity PHEV. I did have a 240V/40A plug put in my garage and used the Clarity's charging unit that it came with to charge. It would take about 2.5 hours to charge from 0. Usually less since I rarely allowed it to get that low. I found it nice to be able to "top off" the battery quicker than a 110V plug. Since I installed it for about $400 within the first month of ownership, it paid for itself well before the 36 month lease was up. Now, I use for the Mach-e.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    aamyotte likes this.
  10. marshall

I know the Pacifca and Outlander and RAV Prime come with an electric cabin heater, but the others I'm having a problem finding out. Not having an electric cabin heater would be a deal breaker for me.

I see folks are buying and registering the RAV Prime here in Washington state. So there is probably a way to receive a refund on the sales tax if the out-of-state dealer doesn't want to play ball.

I do find it interesting that you say the Hyundai PHEV are not for sale in Washington since they are selling the Kona and Ioniq BEVs. Larson has ordered and sold the Sonata PHEV before, so perhaps they can order one if the customer desired. However, if the cars don't come with an electric cabin heater, I don't see the point, the lack of sales tax credit probably doesn't help either.

Plus, from what I've seen, Hyundai and Kia PHEVs haven't sold that well in Washington state.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  11. I have a 2021 Rav4 Prime that I'd say is about the best vehicle I've ever bought. On the other hand, getting one is beyond difficult and expensive. I don't know whether this is still true, but earlier this year the dealerships I talked with that had Primes in stock would announce first thing in our conversation that they were requiring a $15k spiff over MSRP to buy one. One dealer generously wanted only $10k over MSRP. I finally found one I was able to buy for "only" MSRP. It was a colossal pain, but I'd do it again. Still, the Prime availability problem is surely a boon to alternative PHEV options that are more broadly available.

Cindy B likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. marshall

It seems like if you order an electric vehicle and wait for delivery, you can buy it at the MSRP. However, once the vehicle hits the dealer's lot, it's often $5,000 to $10,000 over MSRP due availability issues.

14. tbacba

tbacba New Member

IMO anyone who would pay anything over sticker (let alone $15K!) is out of their mind. And the dealers who gouge customers like that should be publicly shamed.

15. aamyotte

aamyotte Active Member

On other forums I have read of people being hit with additional markups when their order arrives. In those cases they only had verbal agreements of no markups. Best practice is to get everything in writing at time of order.

16. marshall

There are few of these car currently available on the dealer lots; most are in transit, if that. I'm sure the dealers see it as supply and demand.

If you need a car and want that particular make and model, you order a ahead of time and wait for weeks or months, or pay over MSRP.

17. tbacba

tbacba New Member

"Supply and demand", another term for dealer price gouging. It's no wonder they have such bad reputations. Fortunately I was able to get a '22 Niro EV, which I really like, for a couple grand under sticker. But you are right, if you must have a certain vehicle, then go for it.

18. Valtor

Valtor New Member

I am about to exchange my 2019 Tesla Model 3 for a Ford Escape Titanium Plug-In and I would like to know how the pre-heating works when kept in a heated garage? If it is 5 degrees Celsius in the garage and I activate the pre-heating via the FordPass App, will the ICE start to heat the cabin? That would be bad in a garage. I am hoping it can use electric heating while plugged-in to Level2 (like the M3).

19. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

Why would you exchange Tesla Model 3 for Ford Escape PHEV? If I remember correctly, you are limited to 37 miles range on EV as well as much slower 0-60 mph specs.

Was there something about the Tesla that you did not expect?

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

20. Valtor

Valtor New Member

It's because of the Phantom Braking. It's really "driving" me crazy. :)

The most important aspect for me in a car is the adaptive cruise. I'll never understand why Elon refuses to give us an option to enable a "dumber" adaptive cruise behavior on the M3 and even a standard cruise for when the cameras are dirty in the Canadian winter. But nope, you have the choice of the TACC or Autopilot. Both of which has way too much buggy behavior for my taste. My wife won't even let me use TACC or Autopilot at all when I am with her.

But I am also considering the VW ID.4 Pro AWD. It would cost me nothing to exchange my M3 to the ID.4. at this time.

21. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

I have read about phantom braking on the Tesla Motors Club forum. May sound stupid but what is the difference between TACC and Autopilot?

In the winter I only go to work, stay home... for me it is the spring,summer months to fall I like to drive and for me would not use cruise control or autopilot in the city.

The 2022 VW ID4 is my second choice if I end up cancelling Tesla order, third choice is the 2022 Ford Escape PHEV Titanium

Dan

22. Valtor

Valtor New Member

Traffic Aware Cruise Control (TACC) is exactly like Autopilot but without the auto steer. So you have control of steering but all else acts the same as on Autopilot.

I wish they would give us a third option that acts just like a regular adaptive cruise (radar cruise). And even a 4th option to have a regular dumb cruise for when the cameras/radar are dirty in winter.

23. Scott S

Scott S New Member

More of a question than a reply.

Will the escape PHEV go on the highway in full electric mode? I understand it may kick in the ICE for acceleration, but then will it revert back to EV at 65 MPH?

I live in MN where winters can be an issue. Is the front wheel drive an issue on snow and ice? I'd rather have an AWD, but I think gas mileage is more important over the year than the several times I might need AWD.

I considered the Rav 4, but it's not available in my area. I've driven both an escape hybrid and an Rav 4 hybrid (neither were plug ins) and they were both very nice.

I"m not looking at buying until next year, I'm just weighing options and trying to figure out the best path forward.

Thanks,