Battery Recall for Canadian Kona Owners

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by mcsquared, May 31, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Got the bad news today. My dealer service manager called me to tell me my battery replacement is scheduled to be here this Thurs. Was hoping it would take longer, but I guess I can't refuse it. He said they would also arrange a loaner for me, and will call to confirm battery arrival. Probably get done at the end of this week, or next.

I have been happily fast charging my car to 80%. Now may have to be more careful, and maybe cut back my regular fast charging to 70%. I want this one to last a long time...

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. You can refuse it. Give it to the next person in line. I'm sure there will be no shortage of takers.

Freddy and electriceddy like this.
  4. Yeah, but this dealer has looked after me so well, I hate to disappoint him...

5. Well it was only a matter of time! Since my battery replacement, out of an abundance of caution, I have limited AC charging to 90%, and let the public fast chargers stop at 80%. If this bad news continues you will be shelling out $$ for kWhs next! Happy driving with the new battery.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    electriceddy likes this.
  6. Not a bad decision. Only so much density in our "Gen 1" LG 150 kWh/kg cells. No sense in pushing the limit.
    I have not yet to charged over 85% (AC or DC) after one year of ownership.
    If one can make that work, why not extend the life / cycle duration ;)

John Lumsden likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Pcph

Pcph New Member

I have an update. As a reminder, I got my battery replaced on August 2nd, and got the initial letter for the 250$ gift card on August 12th. I chose a physical card, which took about 2 weeks to get to me.

Well, on October 8th, I got the email for the second gift card, in the amount of 315$. That's the sad part about getting my battery replaced early: the amount of this card is lower, I'm not getting the 850$ that some of you will be getting eventually. I again chose a physical card, and I am now waiting for it in the mail. So you should keep your hopes up: both cards exist!

For those bugging their dealers... I called my dealer at the beginning of October to inquire about the second card. They told me that the request was already in and that I would receive it shortly. Then I did receive it a few days later. I have no reason to believe that they entered the request at that time and that I got the card thanks to this particular call... but that MIGHT be the case. It sounded like the person was truthful and that the request was already in. YMMV.

XtsKonaTrooper and R P like this.
  9. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

Great to here this things are finally rolling I'm waiting for as long as I can to get the maximum amount..

R P likes this.
  10. I brought my Kona in recently after having the charge limit reduced to 80% back in April. They did 11D043 (first step of two I believe) and said I needed a new battery (which I was expecting due to the letters but have seen mention of 2019's not needing it). The summary was "BATTERY SYSTEM ASSEMBLY NEEDS REPLACE AS PER GDS TEST. REQUIRE PWA WITH HYTAC TECHLINE FOR APPROVAL"

Some of you probably know these terms but I didn't so looked them up and included them here for anyone interested.
    GDS test is the dealer diagnostic (https://aviondemand.com/shop/tools/hyundai-gds/)
    PWA is the pre-approval with Hyundai for the replacement (https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E14004_01/books/AutoDlrSIS/AutoDlrSISWarranty15.html#wp1035299)

My MY2019 has a build date April 3, 2019 (Battery Date of 2019/04/02).

electriceddy likes this.
  11. Thanks for the deciphering those acronyms, hopefully the approval goes through without any hitches and within reasonable timeframe replacement pack is provided. (plus the additional $850 cash);)

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Thanks for posting the service bulletin mentioning the $850. I'm picking up my Kona with its replaced battery today and will be bringing a printout of the bulletin with me :)

Wildeyed likes this.
  14. Did they mention starting fresh with the battery warranty - to 8 years or 160,000 k? The Chevy Bolt owners received notice that they would be getting a new warranty with their new battery.

15. Hyundai Toronto has had my Kona EV 2019 since late August. I scheduled the battery recall myself online, but when I brought it in, they weren't ready. It took them a day or so to verify the battery pack was one of the dodgy ones (it was), and they arranged a rental for me. Every week I ping the dealership for an update, and the last one (October 10, 2021) said they estimated "3-4 weeks" for the new battery to arrive. So, they have had my vehicle for two months and we are no closer to even starting the work. (Meanwhile I have to pay for street parking because my street parking pass is in my Kona).
    Where is the documentation about $200 gift certificate? I have not seen this.

16. Why did they keep your car? You drove it it of your own accord. Why didn't you drive away with it too?

If you're referring to the $250 gift card you can find information about it in the Canadian Gift Card thread.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  17. This doesn't make sense. The remedy is to limit charging to 80% until battery replacement can be done. You should be able to continue to drive your car with the charge limit unless it has somehow been bricked?

18. If you've got a link, that would be great. The Search features of this site got me nowhere close.

electriceddy likes this.
  19. I'm guessing it's a liability thing? Once they check the serial number on the battery pack and see it's affected, they can't let you take it back until it's fixed? The recall also says to avoid charging near residential buildings". My urban lot means my car is about 18 inches from my back door when it's charging.

20. Here is a good post showing the criteria (although it was posted in the $200 gift card U.S. thread):
    https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/200-gift-card.10810/#post-128483
    not to be confused with this one from Canada for $250:
    https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/any-canadians-get-their-250-from-hyundai.11103/page-2#post-139070
    Thanks to @apu for both those posts.
    Hope that helps.

21. That just seems so different from everyone else's experience here who have been driving and charging to 80% after battery recall while waiting for their confirmed replacement.

22. Just had a look at the Hyundai recall site, looks like they cleared my battery recall as completed after the most recent service visit (GDS-software cathode inspection), so despite what my service advisor said(not surprising) it looks like no battery replacement on my end. No sign of $250 card, hmm more of the usual Hyundai runaround/outstanding communication. Well the upside is that I don't have this recall label hanging over the car.

23. Taking my car in tomorrow morning to have the battery replaced. Will only take one day, but they are still giving me a loaner car. Hope all goes well.