Illogical stuff in the SE. It's the little things...

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by F14Scott, Jan 15, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

This is the "fastest" route (not really), and it drives me crazy that the navigation seems to ignore the street I live on (red ovals show where the street is).

missingstreet.jpg

Carsten Haase likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

There must be a very different amount of effort put in to the navigation for different areas. Based on my experiences I don't know how anyone would find it acceptable but some people think it's great... I keep thinking it'll work and keep trying to use it but in the past 4 months it hasn't once gone smoothly.

The voice control has been awful as well, mostly not understanding where I'm asking it to navigate to but also some really dumb behavior.

The other day I asked it to navigate to a local "pub and grill" and it decided pub was actually short for public and announced I was going to the "public grill"

It also refuses to navigate to Home Depot, ignoring the "Depot" part and just navigating me home.

4. Puppethead

I've had pretty good experience with destinations, including Home Depot. One trick that might help is to say the city after the destination name.

5. Carsten Haase

Maybe my microphone is damaged or something because I always include the city (since it often tries to send me 20mi away to the next city) and even tried saying "Home Depot hardware store" with no luck. It's also misinterpreted "navigate to dutch bros coffee" as "call Mark xxx"

6. DisgruntledSanta

DisgruntledSanta Active Member

I am shocked no one has noted this. The audio power icon ROTATES WITH THE VOLUME KNOB. Oooooh it irks me to no end. I don’t even have the car yet (comes in mid/late November), and somehow missed it when we were testing the car (specifically looking for things that would irk us). Oh man, anytime anyone reaches for that knob, imma slap their wrist.

Urbanengineer likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

Aside for being awkward UI design what’s the problem? The only issue as I see it is the power toggle icon spins along an endless scrolling knob. Functionally it works fine. Just curious.

9. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Assuming you are getting a 2022, be happy. This was addressed. The power icon is stationary on my SE and the volume knob rotates around it.

CoachCookie and Urbanengineer like this.
  10. DisgruntledSanta

DisgruntledSanta Active Member

Thank goodness! It’s not a functional problem by any means but boy it sure rustled my jimmies to no end. I am not sure why. Small aesthetic things like that really get under my skin. Maybe I have OCD

11. GvilleGuy

Definitely mixed reviews on the GPS. I'm with you, Carsten. I gave up on it and use Apple maps, instead. It will give me destinations several states away rather than something 3 miles away (like a local high school). I definitely have to say the city and state to improve the results, which is something I don't have to do using Apple or Google maps.

Rather than start a new thread, I'll just drop this video here. I just finished up my "Nits to Pick" video...

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

To overcome my OCD streak, I use my 2021 SE's steering-wheel volume control so I can keep the volume knob's 1/0 upright. The concentric volume knob and the heated steering wheel are the two features I envy on the 2022 models (OK, and the extra 4 miles of EPA range, too).

14. Puppethead

Even though I use both the MINI navigation and Apple Maps depending on my mood, there are a couple things I dislike about using Apple Maps are:
    1. Zoom level – it's always zoomed out too far (my routes are always over 30 miles long).
    2. No green route option, although it's good for alternate routes.
    3. Apple Maps seems less likely to route via unusual surface streets, so I don't get to explore new areas as much.
    I can probably blame #2 on the lack of EV integration by the MINI app.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  15. GvilleGuy

This past Saturday night, my wife and I were at a marching band exhibition, and it's the first evening that the temp dropped enough to make us cold. When we got in the Mini we both used the seat heaters - so glad that we have those! It was not cold enough to need the heated steering wheel, but we are now entering the season when I'll finally start using it.

16. Just use apple car play and the mapping software of your choice and call it day.

Urbanengineer likes this.
  17. ER13

ER13 Member

My man. I will love getting in a warm MINI after marching band! Unfortunately, doesn't look like that's happening until next season. My Leaf is the cheap model, so I can't precondition. :-(

GvilleGuy likes this.
  18. endquote

endquote Active Member

Mine after a couple of weeks:

I’ve seen folks claim they’re 6’3” and have no problems in a Mini, but I don’t believe you. I’m 6’1” and bump my head on that left sun visor if I sit up straight. Wish I could move the seat down a little more. Maybe there’s some mod that enables this?

I was excited to use the auto parking assist feature, but I’ve never been able to actually trigger it when I want to. It shows spaces that aren’t real and doesn’t show spaces that I can easily get into manually.

My front instrument cluster is physically misaligned, shifted slightly left of center so it doesn’t line up perfectly with the steering wheel and HUD. It seems to shift a little when the lever to adjust the steering column is released.

19. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

That’s interesting. Is your visor flipped down at all times? If so that would be an issue on ingress/egress. I’m 6’ 1” as well and have no problems with the available space. I don’t feel the visor crowding me.

I don’t have auto parking, but typically these systems aren’t very good. Apparently the i3 system is, so maybe the mini system is too.

The last item should be fixed by the dealer. Things happen.

20. Puppethead

I am 6'4" and have no issues with headroom. I lowered the seat all the way down and have it lean back a fair amount. All MINIs also have really good shoulder room, so I'm never feeling cramped by the door.

The key to lowering the seat is to stand next to it and push down on the back of the seat pan a bit while pumping the level to lower it.

Urbanengineer and Texas22Step like this.
  21. Carsten Haase

People come in all sorts of shapes and sizes... I'm 6' but my torso is the same size as my 5'5" wife so we're the same height sitting down!

But even I've bumped my head on the sun visor. Probably a result of the constantly increasing crash testing difficulty resulting in an extra fat roof beam

Urbanengineer and Texas22Step like this.
  22. zoned_post_meridiem

zoned_post_meridiem New Member

Did you manage to get this fixed? I have the same issue with mine, but live fairly far from an authorized dealer.

23. endquote

endquote Active Member

I haven’t had anyone look at it yet, and when I sent the attached photo to my dealer (who is 400mi away) they ignored me. Is yours like this? The hud and instrument cluster are aligned, but the pair is not aligned to the steering column.

Attached Files: