2022 Mini SE - In Focus: Range!

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by GvilleGuy, Aug 22, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Inside EVs reported that CATL would begin delivering LFP batteries to Europe in 2020. Because the MINI Cooper SE was designed around CATL's pouch-style Li-Ion batteries before 2020, I assume its batteries are not based on Lithium-Phosphate chemistry.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

LFP batteries are also not as energy dense as regular lithium batteries (~2x more weight per kWh) so would be a poor choice for for the MINI.

The latest CATL LFP batteries are reported to be a lot better at roughly 0.5x more weight but that's still significant and also unconfirmed (I believe)

4. joshf2k

joshf2k Member

No, not by design. ;) Seems like Chrome does what it wants when it comes to detecting translations. I think I have it figured out though... English-only for now.

NextEv and Novadar like this.
  5. Novadar

Novadar Active Member

I see, the trouble ticket advanced to Tier 3 Platinum Support!

NextEv likes this.
  6. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I used @GvilleGuy's shortcut and it calculated 5.07 mi/kWh for my 41-mile freeway commute, whereas my car showed 4.3 mi/kWh. Is what the SE shows cumulative, or just for the trip? The BC readouts aren't all clear to me. I sure wish we had eDrive info back in the app.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I've wondered the same about the Mini's mi/kWh reading. I think someone has posted before how to reset mi/kWh, but I don't remember. Just now I went and checked my car. The values shown in the instrument cluster by pressing the BC button are:

mi/kWh: 4.0
    Odometer: 0
    Battery: 100%

And the "Mini" status display on the 8.8" screen are all blank lines. So I wonder how to reset the BC mi/kWh value, and also wonder about the Mini stats display - I have not noticed when those values reset.

9. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

The SE shows both, depending on where you look.
    • The "Trip Computer" screen shows the stats (including consumption) for just the current* trip.
    • The "Onboard Information" screen and instrument cluster shows the cumulative average consumption.
    *The "current" trip stats can either be reset manually (so cumulative across trips if you don't reset it) or automatically (after 4 hours of being parked--so if you park for 3 hours then drive some more, the additional driving is tracked as part of the "current trip").

10. Puppethead

Finishing my commute, I decided to treat the whole thing as a single trip: 81.8 miles, 5.14 mi/kWh, 151.46 mile estimated range. Much better numbers than the eDrive ever reported.

Urbanengineer, GvilleGuy and Novadar like this.
  11. GvilleGuy

Math is good!

Texas22Step and insightman like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Puppethead

So why isn't the robot brain in the SE doing it?

wessy, Texas22Step, NewGreen and 3 others like this.
  14. GvilleGuy

I know, right??

MichaelC and Texas22Step like this.
  15. fasttr

fasttr Member

I added a couple of steps that allow you to keep a history of your calculations in an iOS Note. I don't want to publish my shortcut as it is mostly your work but you should consider adding it to your original work.
    Mini SE Range Note.jpg

GvilleGuy likes this.
  16. fasttr

fasttr Member

Well guess what iOS 15.0.1 has broken the Append to Note action in Shortcuts. Apparently if you do not have a calculation in your shortcut it works fine. So will have to wait until (hopefully) the 15.1 release. In the meantime it still works on my iPad at iPadOS 14.7.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  17. GvilleGuy

Sorry - I almost missed this in my notifications list. This is great!! And I saw your next comment about IOS 15 breaking it (ugh!). I would love to update my shortcut, and I'll give you full credit! I can update the video description. Can you share a link either here or send me a message with the changes? Thanks.

EDIT: This shortcut is for the public and I don't mind if you publish it yourself, as well. (In other words, I don't mind if people copy it and post it, etc) It can always be improved. Should probably add an option for km or miles, too. I just haven't had time to look at it.

18. fasttr

fasttr Member

iOS 15.0.2 - still broken

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

GvilleGuy likes this.
  19. endquote

endquote Active Member

The shortcut (and the web version) are nice, but... do we really need to go to all this trouble? Is there not an app or service that can pull the data from the ODB and give nice charts and graphs? This should just be built in to the Mini app.

wessy and GvilleGuy like this.
  20. DisgruntledSanta

DisgruntledSanta Active Member

Dang, I wished I had visited this post last week. Basically wrote the exact iOS shortcut you did, @GvilleGuy . Great shortcut! I added the current weather and opening a note (sadly running iOS 15.0 so no append at this time) so I can track how weather affects performance.

wessy and GvilleGuy like this.
  21. GvilleGuy

I haven't see one yet.

22. Godfrey

Godfrey Member

I noticed yesterday that the MINI app charging history now includes odometer reading for each charge (both onscreen and export file). I used the app feedback link to request this feature a month or two ago, but I assume they were already working on it before my request.

You can export/re-export your monthly history and use the new odometer ("Total mileage") column to calculate efficiency for miles driven between charges.

Here's how I'm calculating implied range for miles driven since previous charge in Excel using my entire charging history by date in descending order. (OFFSET function refers to cell below; you can instead refer to the cell directly.)

Miles driven since previous charge:
    =odometer - OFFSET(odometer, 1, 0)

Battery percent used since previous charge:
    =OFFSET(unplug_soc, 1, 0) - plugin_soc

Implied range since previous charge:
    =(miles driven since previous charge) / (battery percent used since previous charge)
    ...or...
    =(odometer - OFFSET(odometer, 1, 0)) / (OFFSET(unplug_soc, 1, 0) - plugin_soc)

Please feel free to reply or PM me if you see a mistake in these formulas.

Edited to add that battery percent used since previous charge can be converted to kWh by multiplying it by 28.9, so you can calculate other efficiency measures such as miles per kWh or kWh per 100 km.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
    ghost, ER13, Puppethead and 3 others like this.
  23. DisgruntledSanta

DisgruntledSanta Active Member

I would be interested in what kind of mi/kWh you have gotten on average… from what I have seen elsewhere it’s around 3.7+/-mi/kWh.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs