Warning lights on my new id-4

Discussion in 'ID.4' started by Todd Hummel, Oct 12, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Todd Hummel

Todd Hummel New Member

I started my id-4 the other day and saw these warnings. So I made an appt to have her looked at in two weeks. The earliest appt available. The book says that the yellow lights are still driveable but i was doing that as little as I could. Today the warnings were gone. I'm gonna still see if there is anything in the memory that can be pulled by the shop but, has this happened to anyone else. Additionally is there some form of diagnostic access similar to an obd II that i could read? Once again thanks in advance for your assistance T3

Attached Files:

ericy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

This is something that some have seen - in some cases if you just let the car sit for a while, it will go away (i.e. software glitch). But it seems like there might have been a bad batch of water pumps for cars built in roughly the June timeframe, and the dealer will need to replace the pump for you.

As for diagnostic tools that you can use, something like VAG-COM/VCDS is what you would need, but that's not a cheap tool. You might find someone in some VW forums who might have one just to scan the vehicle.

4. Raja Nathan

Raja Nathan New Member

I got this error one time 3 months back(around 600miles), it went away when parked the car for few minutes. Now just crossed 5000miles, it never came back after that. I will take to the dealer if it happens again.

Domenick likes this.
  5. Todd Hummel

Todd Hummel New Member

Thank you both for your help. The light did go out all on its own but I'll still keep the appt so they can hook it up to the computer. Also I will research when it was made to head off the water pump problem. Once again thank you T3

Domenick likes this.
  6. midsail

midsail New Member

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. midsail

midsail New Member

Greetings
    We recently had the same warning and took the car to the VW dealer. They basically reset the the software and haven't seen that error again.

Todd Hummel likes this.
  9. OregonEV

OregonEV New Member

I got the same warning yesterday. Under 2600 miles on my ID 4 RWD and now waiting on a battery coolant pump which is estimated to arrive in 10 to 14 days.

10. OregonEV

OregonEV New Member

Oh surprise! By Saturday, no warning light. I took a couple short drives to see if the warning would reappear, it didn’t. A longer drive to deplete the battery to around 20% followed by a charge (home level 2) to 80% to check if the heat load might be an issue. No warning lights and all is well.

Todd Hummel likes this.
  11. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

That's a common outcome. Some of us think that the underlying problem is that there are multiple modules all booting up at the same time, and sometimes things happen outside of the expected order, or something takes a little longer than the designers anticipated. Once they get around to rolling out software updates, I hope that these problems go away.

Every once in a while there is a report of something where someone actually needs a new part of some sort, but that is kind of rare.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I had a child safety lock warning and after it went away I was able to see it again under vehicle/messages or something like that. It wasn't triggering the light on the dash anymore but I could still read the old message. Maybe you can do the same?

14. Todd Hummel

Todd Hummel New Member

I did try that and nothing came up but thanks

15. I now just under 3k miles into ownership and while quite happy w/ the vehicle, I too am experiencing the "semi-random / occasional" yellow warnings.

I've taken to having my camera "always ready" to snap a quick image of the steering column display.

Which brings me to my question: Is there a way to "replay / redisplay / revisit" the various messages received?

The messages pop-up but then clear themselves after a pre-determined delay; a delay which is usually WAY too short given other driver tasks ... and they do so w/o needing any driver acknowledgement.

It leaves the driver in a, "What EXACTLY did that message just say ... was it 'ESC' or 'ASC' ?" quandry.

Usually the best I can do is capture a time-late pic of the somewhat "stickier" icons - hopefully before they "clear" - for later de-cipherment using the hardcopy owner's manual.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
    JimO likes this.
  16. pescatore

pescatore Member

My ID4 (21 AWDPro) had the same warning light while my wife had it on a long distance trip - not a pleasant warning to see while 300 miles from home. This came on about a half hour after fast charging at EA. She pulled over at a rest stop and let it rest for 10 minutes, the light went off never to return. I took it to dealer yesterday (soonest appointment). They've had it for a day and a half with no diagnosis. The warning was not logged anywhere. You'd think - given that carnet tells me every time I change the heat settings - that it might log something like this - but nope.

17. pescatore

pescatore Member

Update - they found nothing.