2022 Mini SE - In Focus: Active Grill Shutters

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by GvilleGuy, Oct 11, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

So - as discussed in the “sport mode” thread - I ran a quick video test this afternoon just to verify at what point the active shutters close and open during start/stop. Unfortunately, and fortunately, I guess, I discovered a major problem with my shutter assembly…

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

My 2021 SE's shutters close shortly after the car is turned on, just like @GvilleGuy's 2022 model. Thanks, @GvilleGuy! I know you'll keep us up to date on the global shutter shortage as you try to get yours fixed :)

Urbanengineer and GvilleGuy like this.
  4. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

Great video. I was spellbound.

Does it appear that the framework of the shutters is broken or are they simply that flimsy?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

GvilleGuy likes this.
  5. Newkirk

Newkirk Active Member

Thanks for the video! Wow, were it not for this forum, you may never have had the idea to make the video and may not have found out that the assembly was loose until it became more of a problem. Love this forum!

6. GvilleGuy

Definitely broken loose on the left side. I need to look more closely tomorrow to see if the plastic is actually broken or just popped loose. If broken I bet the dealer will have to order the entire assembly at great cost and time. In which case, I may decide that duct tape is the way to go. It’s in a hidden spot, at least!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. TempoHouse

TempoHouse Member

Just went outside to see the shutters on our 2 month old 2022 SE. Car was off. Shutters closed. It looks maybe like GvilleGuy's though. The right side seems fixed but the left side pushes back easily at the bottom. Hmm.

9. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

What a bummer! I went and checked mine and it's solid on both sides so definitely not normal.

If it is actually cracked and is also an expensive part, a plastic welder may be a decent option between duct tape and replacement.

It's essentially a soldering iron with a flat tip that you use to melt the plastic back together. This kit comes with wire mesh that you form around the crack on the back side then melt it into the plastic for extra strength (kinda like a patch for a rip in clothes).

https://smile.amazon.com/Jounjip-Plastic-Welding-Black-Rods/dp/B07RG8K18D/

GvilleGuy and Texas22Step like this.
  10. Carsten Haase

Also, something I noticed when checking if mine was loose:

There are more shutters in the middle grille opening as well. The lower shutters are mechanically linked to the mid shutters with a rod in the center (attached to the side of each group). The actuator for the shutters is likely in the center of the bumper behind the body color bit on the 2022

11. Rasmus Aage

Rasmus Aage New Member

Interesting video, thanks. I wonder if the shutters are going to open when driven in warmer weather or when driven hard.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. GvilleGuy

What?? We need another 2022 to audit this. Could that be by design? EDIT: I'll find the time this morning to go check more carefully for cracks on the left to verify breakage or not.

14. GvilleGuy

I looked more closely with a flashlight. That spot is difficult to see clearly. You cannot go underneath the bumper because of the closed off undercarriage, and it's too far down to see anything from opening the hood with the radiator in the way. But, from what I can tell, I do not see any cracked or broken plastic. I'm a little more hopeful that perhaps it can be reattached.

Carsten Haase likes this.
  15. TempoHouse

TempoHouse Member

There is also a rectangular hole/cutout just to the right of the grill shutters on our SE. It looks like something is missing or fell out, but maybe it's like that on everyone's? I don't see any matching thing on the left side. There is a thin plastic thing hiding behind the hole, shaped like a dull needle.

16. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I just noticed that today too, when I confirmed my 2021 SE has active grille shutters. I don't think it's the outside thermometer, maybe a pitot tube? :)

17. Jim In Tucson

This thread at least motivated me to investigate my own shutters. Pleased to report they are secure and appear to be working correctly, at least when parked.

I would be curious to know if they do in fact open at anytime, when the SE is being driven, for cooling purposes.

18. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I believe the only reason the shutters would open would be for cooling purposes.

19. Carsten Haase

They could be triggered by turning on the AC too but there's a pretty large overlap between needing more cooling and needing the AC!

Texas22Step likes this.
  20. Jim In Tucson

Yes, but do they? Do the shutters actually open when driving either due to high ambient or hot battery? I presume so, but without a video (hint, hint) we’ll never know.

21. GvilleGuy

LOL - it's on my list to get back to it after I get the assembly looked at today at the dealer. I'm afraid that the weather has cooled off too much to convince the shutters to open while driving. But I'll give it a try eventually.

Texas22Step likes this.
  22. GvilleGuy

What a fascinating little rabbit hole. My SE is at the service department. When I arrived to drop my Mini, I noted a new 2022 BRG SE Sig+ sitting right up front. I entered the service department and the service rep asked if I could show her what I was talking about. So we walked out and I showed her how my shutters are loose on the left side.

I then suggested we go check the new SE sitting out front, and she agreed that was a great idea. And...the shutter assembly on the brand new SE was totally loose on the left AND right sides! I took a video. :)

She then went and got the service tech, and we showed him what was happening on both cars. He agreed that it was weird, and he said he would get my car on the rack and take off the bottom cover to figure out what is going on. So I wait...

EDIT: She called - the tech was able to properly reattach the assembly. It's all set! Will pick it up this evening. So - there appears to be an issue at the factory with how the shutters are being attached?? Who knows. Very odd.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  23. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 Active Member

Maybe they pop loose due to strain from the tie-down aboard ship.

EDIT: that is WILD speculation. I don't even have my car yet.

Rob