Dealer Runaround

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Sully151, Sep 21, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Sully151

Sully151 Member

Maybe someone here can set this straight for me.

I want to purchase an SE. I went to my dealer and they had me put down a $500 deposit to build my MINI with a build date in October. I am not getting anything special. BRG, White Top, black 16' wheels Signature model. The dealer said they had available protection spots for October. I have a production number assigned and should get the car in late November or December.

I drove one at an Electrify event over the weekend and it was really fun. At the event, they were saying a large shipment of SE's were coming over and all I had to do was Reserve one on the website with my chosen dealer for $250 and I would be on the list.

My friend went to the same dealer, said they wanted to buy a mini, said the color and the build and were charged a $250 deposit. Supposedly for a November build. They were given a statement of inquiry, but no production number.

When I asked about the $250 difference in deposits, the dealer said Mini lowered the deposit price even though the Build link on the website still says $500.

The dealer also said, the way I went with having mine built to order was the quickest way to get a car in my hands even though the corporate Mini people said just pay the $250 and I will get one of the cars that were on their way.

I guess I am confused and hope that someone can shed some light on this. I just want a car soon. My jeep is having some issues and is getting too expensive to be a daily driver with an 80 mile commute.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

If it was this easy, we'd all be doing it. No idea what this is based on. Cars are just 'coming over'? Where are they going? What spec are they?

Your dealer is right. The only way to get an SE right now is to order one. Mini isn't allowing dealers to order cars to sit on the lot due to production limitations, so just picking one up is very unlikely. (Though if a customer refuses delivery, the dealer will then have one on the lot to sell.)

4. fasttr

fasttr Member

Well I can say I ordered one in Dallas the last week in August. Got a production number first week in September but no production date. After being promised mid to late October, the delivery slipped to Christmas. BTW, the Mini web site late August was $250. I went to Autotrader.com and created a search for the trim level I wanted and found one on a lot in New Mexico. Also found one in Boston (Iconic without HK audio). But shipping from NM was $650. From Boston $1,500. So there are some sitting out there but you may have to compromise. Suggest you use Autotrader.com and search without a distance restriction. See if anything meets your needs. My purchase from NM was seamless and I had the car in less than a week.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I've recently received email from MINI saying I can reserve an SE for $250, it's a new promotion from MINI. The deposit is applied to the eventual purchase, so it's not an extra charge. Or you'll get your deposit back if you cancel. If you want one as quickly as possible, keep your order as-is but you could shop around to try and find one available (as @fasttr said), and if you succeed you just cancel your order with the dealer. They shouldn't mind.

Texas22Step and joshf2k like this.
  6. JoeC

JoeC New Member

I would make sure that you do (at least) the $250 through the MINI website. If you don't, you are at the whim of the dealer and they may yank you around and prioritize another order that is more profitable than yours. Going through the MINI site hopefully discourages the dealer from putting later orders ahead of you; I would think that MINI would want to discourage dealer behavior that negatively impacts the brand.

If you have access to multiple dealers, I would call around and see who has available allocation. If they can't provide you with a Production Number on the spot, then you are not really "in line" and subject to the dealer's prioritization.

NewGreen likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Sully151

Sully151 Member

I went through the dealer, who basically went through the website. I have a production number that will supposedly be built in October.

9. Denise C

Denise C Active Member

I ordered online.. talked to the dealership.. they sent me a link to put down $250 deposit using amazon pay (a little odd.. but its legit). this was 2 weeks ago. i even signed the built sheet and emailed them back. my deposit has not been charged, i have no production number. they said have to wait for slots to open to get a production number. just have to wait and see sounds like. I am in Colorado..

10. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Schomp somehow ordered 8 cars (I think that was done in July). I got the list and put $ on one they ordered that was a color we wanted and had the wheels I prefer (I wanted a "stripper" after seeing the different interiors) in early august. They had a few Iconics that haven't been spoken for when I was on their site a few days ago. Those should be on the same boat as mine, and in the Panama Canal.

Caveat, the salespeople are kids who just don't shive a git, and getting answers is like pulling teeth. I told the kid Friday I would be in Saturday, he said OK. Got there Saturday with my wife at 5:30 like I said. One kid on the floor with a customer, completely ignored us. After about 10 minutes another kid comes out and asks if we are being helped. I ask if he is the guy from the day before? No, that guy took the day off, and he suggested I come back during the week.

I asked if anyone wanted to sell me a F'in car? He said he would be right back, what's my name? I gave him my business card. He walked back (didnt give me a card or tell us his name), and about 10 minutes later salesperson comes out. Says I scared that kid, who said an angry guy with an east coast accent is out there.

In the meantime the guy to value my BMW had left. Fortunately the third person who was the first professional I dealt with, Derrick knew enough about the car to answer questions, and get the deal. Good luck.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    GvilleGuy likes this.
  11. Denise C

Denise C Active Member

Hi! Thanks. My build was very specific. Already have the order with mini of Loveland. So hopefully will come through sooner… congrats on yours!

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Put it on the tracker spreadsheet

14. Denise C

Denise C Active Member

I am losing my patience waiting on Loveland… schomp texted today to see if I am still interested to order a mini… I asked them about order slots and stuff. They said they have few incoming not spoken for.. I asked if they can email me what they were. Maybe fits my build..

15. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Of course the key question is: Incoming when?

BayFront likes this.
  16. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Same shipment as mine? Dropped off at Oxnard Sunday. Loveland had a green/white Iconic with the 500 leather option that someone cancelled. this was august. I didnt want that many options on the fourth/fifth car in the house.

17. Denise C

Denise C Active Member

The guy and Loveland didn’t tell me about the green white. Ugh. I see schomp is telling me they have one in production that I can still modify to what I want. Might need to look into that

18. Denise C

Denise C Active Member

I was able to get one through schomp! They have an production number for a limited edition blue! Not exactly the green iconic trim I was looking for but pretty close! I have a number now to track!!!! Still will take 3-5 months. But I can track! So excited!!

19. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Congrats! I assume that is the electric blue collection Signature Plus trim. Great looking Mini!

Denise C likes this.
  20. Denise C

Denise C Active Member

Thank you!!! Yes it’s the electric island blue! I think that’s the official name. It has tri-tone roof color and signature plus! I have the first check mark on the tracking website haha. Better than before.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  21. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

If you got Gene or Derrick you are in good hands. Unfortunately I cant say the same for the other two kids I was trying to work with who were either too lazy or just not interested in selling cars to give me solid information.

Maybe it was me. Maybe because this will be the 5th car, 2nd toy I didn't come off as someone who was desperate to wait for a car I "need" so it would sell itself.

Denise C likes this.
  22. Denise C

Denise C Active Member

I had someone else. But I guess I was getting impatience and finding out they have a limited edition not claimed. I jumped on it and put down deposit and all was smooth. Didn’t really need them to try to sell lol. I knew what I wanted it. Annoying thing about Loveland that I thought more about it, not only they didn’t really have a car/slot for me to order they ran my credit just to see if I can buy it? Now my credit score got hit for no reason. I am not even going to go through the finance until car arrives. Maybe this is normal thing to do but schomp didn’t do that last week. Just had me put down deposit and off we go…

insightman likes this.
  23. Chicago Ken

Chicago Ken New Member