Vancouver Island region to consider phasing out gas stations

Discussion in 'General' started by electriceddy, Aug 15, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SouthernDude

SouthernDude Active Member

No. Climate change is not that dire of a problem. Virtually all the doomsday prophets have been wrong on it. There is plenty of time to address it. If you don't think so, direct you ire at the environmentalists who did everything they could to kill nuclear in the past - they were the ones who enabled the massive coal build out that happened in the 80s and 90s.

Forgot the word most, but yes its true that most drivers in the US already have access to overnight charging. I don't know why the EV crowd is hyper obsessed with the small portion that doesn't.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Because making it easier for those that don't will help promote EV uptake -- the number one reason people I've met won't consider switching to EVs (and were surprised I did) is that they don't know where they'll be able to charge it. Tesla pretty much has solved the problem for those with concerns about range and road trips, but people who don't have charging access at or right near their homes won't consider EVs. (I had been eyeing a condo building with a public EVSE across the street, but in the end a lovely condo in a building with public charging in their parking lot became available. I was lucky.)

DJP likes this.
  4. I agree generally with SD's philosophy about the free market. But not on this one. I do believe that in some cases govt has a role in moving us in the right direction for the good of everyone. But how they do it is what matters. Providing incentives (like initial subsidies for EV buyers and building charging infrastructure) is a good thing. That will hasten mass production which eventually leads to lower prices.

Having said that govts can go too far, too quickly, like over building solar and wind while killing nat gas before we have an adequate electrical grid supply and infrastructure. There has to be a balance.

5. SouthernDude

You're missing the point. Loading up hyper urban areas with EV infrastructure isn't going to make EV adoption happen quicker because that only half-benefits a small portion of the driving population. In the US, all the major cities already have tons of DC chargers everywhere.

The real problem is that the long distance infrastructure along interstates and highways have gaps in coverage and nobody knows what infrastructure is present because there is little signage. The other barriers to adoption - like lack of awareness, lack of model selection, uncertainty of the longevity of batteries, and overall price - will reduce as the market develops. Remember that the modern EV market is really young. The Model 3 hasn't existed for 5 years yet. Every major car manufacturer is securing battery capacity right now. Tons of factories are being developed, cars are being designed. You won't see the results of all the investments until 2023-2025.

You can't expect EV adoption to go from essentially 0% to 100% in less than 5 years - especially when EV technology is still significantly improving year after year. Just be patient. Absolutely zero reason to rush anything.

Plus, it is better for the grid to not suddenly have tons of EVs come online to give time for the grid to decarbonize more, right? Rushing only causes mistakes.

6. I disagree. 'Nuff said.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Superior performance and lower costs of EVs should be enough. As for charging networks, the EV makers should put their shoulders into it.

Bob Wilson

9. SouthernDude

Suit yourself.